GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
can you elaborate on your stumble?

.5-.75 throttle acceleration tach swings smooth to about 3500+/- and there is a notable stumble in the otherwise linear power and. Almost like a carb having a rough transition when the secondary jets kick in.

I’ll try and duplicate it and watch my tach, and well pay more attention to my inputs. Might be helpful when I take the car in for oil change and the 24FD flash.

Also, not a recall, but showing active for my car too....

9008E807-6BB9-498B-991A-3F1DAD2FE6B1.jpeg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
.5-.75 throttle acceleration tach swings smooth to about 3500+/- and there is a notable stumble in the otherwise linear power and. Almost like a carb having a rough transition when the secondary jets kick in.

I’ll try and duplicate it and watch my tach, and well pay more attention to my inputs. Might be helpful when I take the car in for oil change and the 24FD flash.
yeah i asked cause my car does the same, and it seems that its the DV being very active on the 2019 VS the wastegate to control boost as it feels like the DV is pulsing. when I'm on the stock map its not noticeable unless my IATS are high and I'm running 91. but since my car is full bolt-ons custom map 6 JB4 (also have tested with the stock DV and the GFB DV+, results are slightly less aggressive with DV+), its very noticeable when the boost is jumped up you can feel and hear it. when i run the logs with the stock tune its always inline with when the car is hitting a peak boost at 3300-4000.

hopefully come Tuesday i will find out if this get altered by the "improve drivability" part.

TornadoHands

Yeah some of the shudder/delay does seem to be gone now that you mention it. Not sure if it's the new software or just the ECM reset, or just placebo, but acceleration feels smoother

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
I'm actually hesitant to rush out and get this update - no stalls since 350 and I'm at 5,500 now. I'm also not having any issues. Been over 5K miles of trouble free driving. I think I'll take the iOS update approach: Wait and see how it fares for the early adopters - before I take the plunge.

freducation

Has anyone noticed that sometimes, revs actually go UP (anywhere from 100-500 RPM more) when releasing gas and disengaging clutch? This happens a lot, probably more than 50% of the time, particularly when the engine was just under load.

On the Facebook group (2019 VW GTI Rabbit Edition), there's a post from someone back in September that captures this same thing on video. It is not just a matter of poor timing with pedals. I have tested this repeatedly.

If anyone has experienced this, and can see if it still occurs with the new software, that would be appreciated!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Has anyone noticed that sometimes, revs actually go UP (anywhere from 100-500 RPM more) when releasing gas and disengaging clutch? This happens a lot, probably more than 50% of the time, particularly when the engine was just under load.

On the Facebook group (2019 VW GTI Rabbit Edition), there's a post from someone back in September that captures this same thing on video. It is not just a matter of poor timing with pedals. I have tested this repeatedly.

If anyone has experienced this, and can see if it still occurs with the new software, that would be appreciated!

Are you talking about while you're in neutral and just pressing the clutch in and out? Even my 2018 R does this, so I'm pretty sure it's "normal".

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K

Pretty sure its "normal". I asked the VW dealer about it when I initially complained about my only two stalls - seemed to me at the time it was related. However, they assured me, the behavior was to be expected. Struck me as a bit odd, because I was coming from a Civic Si and never saw any other manual do that.

TheeBran

Passed Driver's Ed
About 100 miles on the new software, all is well. Feels like my revs fall a bit faster between shifts but haven't been able to feel a difference otherwise. I wasn't stalling before and I'm still not, 2700 miles or so.
Really?! I got mine fixed last Friday and the first thing I thought to myself was that there was a lot more rev hang after the update. OK, WTF VW?

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
My car is getting the flash right now. Asked them to adjust my headlights too since they’re dangerously low from the factory.

edit //

Updated. No perceivable change in revs as others have mentioned, I just notice the stock tires blow in all conditions and it’s pouring rain.

They allegedly raised my lights, I’ll see what they look like tonight when I’m going home.

Last edited:

freducation

My car is getting the flash right now. Asked them to adjust my headlights too since they’re dangerously low from the factory.

edit //

Updated. No perceivable change in revs as others have mentioned, I just notice the stock tires blow in all conditions and it’s pouring rain.

They allegedly raised my lights, I’ll see what they look like tonight when I’m going home.
Please keep us posted! I know the revs drop so differently in different conditions and that could play a role in the different accounts I've read so far. At least in my car, revs drop relatively quickly when the engine is still cold, but revs hang a bit when it's warmed up.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Got mine done today, initial drive from the dealer to my office was positive, did some wot bursts and seems fairly smooth in the 3-4K range without excessive DV action. I’ll be able to better tell tonight when I put the JB4 back on as that had always amplified the actions

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Got mine flashed today too. Feels much smoother. We'll see if it lasts.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
I'm thinking right now of holding off getting this service done. Will take the wait & see approach. Only (slight) gripe I have is some rev-hang between gears when laying into it some...but I believe this to be a common thing with modern turbo DI cars. The Civic SI I tested last year was way worse.

So far the car has been smooth-running throughout the rev range, and has been stall-free for just under the 4400 miles on the clock.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm thinking right now of holding off getting this service done. Will take the wait & see approach. Only (slight) gripe I have is some rev-hang between gears when laying into it some...but I believe this to be a common thing with modern turbo DI cars. The Civic SI I tested last year was way worse.

So far the car has been smooth-running throughout the rev range, and has been stall-free for just under the 4400 miles on the clock.
Rev hang is also from the clutch delay valve, after I modified mine, my revs would drop rather quick when I let off the gas / clutch and shift. Especially when trying to shift fast at high RPMs