GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Sportwagen (4Motion) Rear Differential Failure

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'm leaning toward tech mistake as well.. These stories were pretty common when I lurked the MK6 R forums on Haldex or Diff. service due to the proximity of the service ports. Granted common on a car forum should be taken with a grain of salt. Best of luck OP, hopefully the tech will own up and assist with making it right if that is the case.

cc87

Car(s)
VW Sportwagen
So VW tech just gave an update.

I dropped off some containers for oil analysis of both the diff and haldex.

VW tech said the diff was DRY, no fluid came out and he took pictures for me.

VW tech said haldex fluid was dirty, way beyond what should have happened within 1000 miles if it had been serviced correctly... he drained the haldex fluid and is saving it for me to pickup.

Oil analysis of the haldex should be interesting to say the least.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

VW tech said haldex fluid was dirty, way beyond what should have happened within 1000 miles if it had been serviced correctly... he drained the haldex fluid and is saving it for me to pickup.

Holy crap. So the diff got drained and was never filled. While the haldex fluid was never even swapped?!?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
How did he drain one and not fill the other? I'd expect the Haldex to be overfilled (if possible), but sounds like the rear diff was drained and new Haldex fluid was never added.

Also a lot of the fluid should have drained out when the filter was removed to be cleaned. I'd be curious to see what the filter looks like.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There you go, looks like the shop owes you some new parts!

cc87

Car(s)
VW Sportwagen
Weirdest thing.. here’s a picture of the tech showing me my haldex screen during the haldex service...

Attachments

• FBA2EBA9-4452-46AE-931F-F01FEB19B939.jpeg
    FBA2EBA9-4452-46AE-931F-F01FEB19B939.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
A few MK6 R's had a similar issue. The thought was they accidently drained the diff, attempted to refill the haldex and didn't pay attention to the amount of fluid being put in and stopped when it overflowed. I've read a handful of stories on them with the Haldex and Dif being confused and one being drained and the other filled, or one being drained and filled incorrectly with the belief it was the haldex/dif.

Hope you get to the bottom of it and the guilty party owns up to assist with repairs.

cc87

Car(s)
VW Sportwagen
Got the haldex fluid back from the VW tech.. it looks pretty dark/dirty for only having 1000ish miles. About to pack it up to send over to Blackstone for analysis.

Attached VW analysis of issue as well as photos of the fluid.

Attachments

• E140FB44-7B11-4B47-82FE-5563B940A17B.jpeg
    E140FB44-7B11-4B47-82FE-5563B940A17B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 397AD799-8775-4B67-9609-F825B25897B1.jpeg
    397AD799-8775-4B67-9609-F825B25897B1.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 121

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Got the haldex fluid back from the VW tech.. it looks pretty dark/dirty for only having 1000ish miles. About to pack it up to send over to Blackstone for analysis.

Attached VW analysis of issue as well as photos of the fluid.
Sending positive vibes your way man

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Man. This is like the level of luck I have. Sorry to see it happen to you but I think the evidence is pretty obvious and favorable in your direction.

When you approach the indie shop, you should tell them you also want them to pay for the VW diagnosis as well. You sholdn’t have to pay for that given what he did to you.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Trick the MK6 R guys used to do is circle the corresponding drain and fill holes in matching paint pen for for the diff and haldex. That way it's a little harder to screw up and a whole lot harder to weasel out of.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Trick the MK6 R guys used to do is circle the corresponding drain and fill holes in matching paint pen for for the diff and haldex. That way it's a little harder to screw up and a whole lot harder to weasel out of.
That is a very good idea. I will be doing this on my wife’s AT.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

As I said & others have said..the mechanic fecked up!......

Too many people "think" they know what they are doing....the ERWIN manuals are freely available & so are the self study guides (all for a small fee)..& the VAG AWD Haldex system has been around for a few years now on the MK7...so any self respecting mechanic SHOULD know that there are two separate units with different oils & drain/fill plugs.

The evidence you are collecting is irrefutable proof that the service was not carried out correctly resulting in the self destruction of the unit...the mechanic SHOULD have insurance to cover his work when you claim for the cost of the new parts, labour to fit, the cost of the VW diagnostics, the oil analysis, & personal inconvenience..

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

I'm not a professional mechanic but the differential and Haldex plugs are pretty far apart and easy to tell what's what so I'm not sure how they're getting mixed up so easily.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
My guess is he drained the diff twice, filled an undrained Haldex and didn't notice how little fluid the fill took. Topped off dirty oil and drained the diff dry by accident. I would not assume he was trying to not do the work and an honest yet costly mistake. May still think he did it correctly but should understand his mistake if presented properly..