GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

McQueen77

Banned
So my wife is looking at this as her next car. Hits showrooms in Fall of this year. Her first choice was the Tiguan but considering this is AWD, gets much better mileage than the Tiguan and is about $10k cheaper and arguably, will be worlds more reliable and cheaper to fix/maintain/fill with gas over the longterm, this car is a no brainer for her. I'd never buy it, but I'm not her. Suburus are near bulletproof and I actually like the looks of this thing, but I read this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-first-drive-review

3000+ lbs and 140 some-odd HP/lb ft. of TQ... Yikes. Thing is going to be a slug. Right?

But regardless, she doesn't care. Power deficit doesn't matter to her. Its got everything else she wants, everything. So I guess I'll have to resign myself to this being our second car. I was rooting for a Tiguan w/an Automatic, but she wants this with the 5 spd. I can't argue with the fact that it'll be cheaper in the short and long term and I actually don't mind the looks. She'd be going for white.

Thoughts on this thing?? I've tried hard to sell her on a Golf TDI or a regular gas Tiguan, but no dice. At least we'll be able to take it on some slight offroad adventures. I like the wheels.

Attachments

• 2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-photo-434444-s-1280x782.jpg
    2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-photo-434444-s-1280x782.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 16,669
Last edited:

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
My wife test drive a new impreza wagon god was it slow so slow in fact after the test drive she got back into her focus and said "this things pretty fast" . But as far as reliability the Subaru wins out there.

McQueen77

Banned
best i could hope for is throwing a CAI on there or something to squeeze out another 15hp or something.. jesus. of course the US doesn't get the Turbo Diesel. Fucking Europeans always get the best stuff

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
best i could hope for is throwing a CAI on there or something to squeeze out another 15hp or something.. jesus. of course the US doesn't get the Turbo Diesel. Fucking Europeans always get the best stuff

The thing that I think is so funny is most the forums that I'm (mostly US members) on talk abotu how much we want turbodiesel and diesel options, yet they never bring them to the U.S. Its always a shame IMO, but we're enthusiasts and presumably a bit more educated about cars, performance, and engine workings than the average consumer so go figure. Mazda is the next big manufacturer bringing their diesels in IIRC, which is a great step. Hopefully Subaru not far behind but from feedback overseas, boxer diesels aren't too great for noise and smoothness.

Candy11

Ready to race!
The imprezza wagon looks way better. I have a friend that has a new body 2.0 five door. That just looks stretched

McQueen77

Banned
The imprezza wagon looks way better. I have a friend that has a new body 2.0 five door. That just looks stretched

i think the impreza looks like a boring station wagon and that this one blows it away visually. she like the XV because of the ground clearance as well and being 'higher up' etc. i think ultimately the car will be great for her, but...

blah, Wait for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe sport, its gonna be turbo awd :)

she is also looking at the Hyundai and I must say I kind of like it. I have to get over the whole 'what would I buy' thing and be more objective. I'd never buy a Hyundai, but it could be fine for her and power wise, there is no comparison. 270hp and similar tq figure coming on at 1700RPM w/turbo, AWD and 6 spd chicktronic sounds good to me. I think Id take that over the subie and honestly, the interior of the Hyundai is def more high rent looking. We shall see.

McQueen77

Banned
oh yeah, tiguan is still her first choice if she can find a CPO with a stick for a little less. a well equipped Tiguan SEL pushes $40k. You could get a barely used CPO BMW X3 for that kind of money. I think VW is starting to get ahead of themselves in terms of where they think they rank in terms of car class. The CC is the same deal - a well equipped CC R-Line and you could get an A4. Most people would take the A4 for the money.

But yeah, I've driven it and I love the Tiguan. I liked it so much I considered for a second selling my GTI, getting the Tiguan, going stage 1 on it and lowering it a few inches and godamn, that thing would be awesome

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
McQueen the Subie is seriously under-powered. 140hp is alright for a fwd weighing 26-2800lbs, but not awd 3000+ with passengers. With a NA engine, there's not much you can do for cheap to help the situation.

Never owned a Hyundai, but I think the Hyundai SUV you guys were considering is DI and FI, which you know, has potential for chipping. You've said it before, and I agree: just can't see owning a non FI car ever again. 'Course it's gonna be her car and not yours, so...

P.S. hope you're still able to enjoy the streets of Westlake/McCracker Park after your 'adventure', the same streets cruised by Gosling in that recent movie. I live like 4 blocks from the Big '6' Market!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Ironically, I am about to sign for a Tiguan for my wife this week. Call my a fanboy, but I really just like the idea of her being in a VW. I love Subaru as well, though. We test drove a Legacy a few weeks ago...I was impressed.

^ tiguan and the Mazda5 were what we were looking at when we sold my wife's Tribeca, which we loved dearly, except for the horrendous mpg.

This Crosstek thing has a good look (for a subie), and the AWD, but yes, similar to the impreza, its slow as balls to get that gas mileage figure. that all said, I am sure it will sell quite well.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
I say get it
My wife is looking at Subaru vehicles now gonna trade her Wolfsburg Jetta in
She also loves the tiquan but too damn high$$$$$$

Yup..

The GLI is my Wife's and she is wanting something with some more room and less sporty.

I am kinda digging the Desert Khaki but wish it came with the manual and in leather....

:thumbsup:

McQueen77

Banned
Yup..

The GLI is my Wife's and she is wanting something with some more room and less sporty.

I am kinda digging the Desert Khaki but wish it came with the manual and in leather....

:thumbsup:

If you want something that drives like crap, is less sporty with an interior from 1989, you'll love the XV. GLI to XV = epic downgrade IMO, but you know, different strokes I suppose.