GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Passat V6 SEL

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I've never liked this generation Passat but then I'm also a fan of most swoopy styled cars like the Sonata so the conservative Passat styling isn't a big turn on for me.

One giant turn off I can't get over is how VWoA didn't bother with projector headlights on even the top trim models. Looks like a rip off 2008 Accord sedan headlight.

McQueen77

Banned
strangely i kind of like the bland styling. even though its bland, the passat still looks deliberate and still very 'vw' to me, whereas the accord looks totally unstyled, like they just don't care, and cars like the sonata look overstyled to me, esp inside the car.. i dont like the interiors of my cars to look like some alien vs. predator star trek wrath of Khan cockpit..

Well the ironic part is... if you drive the car and don't push it, it won't feel slower than your GTI. Because the power peaks at 2500, perfect for a "female" driver. Once you try to pass someone on the freeway you're in for a surprise.

just as i suspected. feels fast around town and thats it. the GTI has gotten me out of more sticky situations than one, highway and street, but especially highway.. i need to be able to pass retarded slow drivers in the blink of an eye.. i don't want to wait. slow cumbersome drivers cause accidents and i want enough power to instantly avoid people like that.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Essentially comparing a Golf R32 and a MK VI TDI... night and day in terms of performance, on the flipside economy will be double on the TDI.
Not really double. 28 mpg highway vs what 39 on the DSG TDI?
35 combined vs 23 combined but diesel guys usally beat EPA estimates...

The average for combined driving is over 40 on a DSG TDI Passat.

Having actually owned both an R32 and a MKVI TDI and driving both cars over the identical commute; I can tell you without a doubt it is essentially double, and I did better MPG-wise in my R32 than the EPA numbers...

I averaged 22 real-world mpg in the R32 over the life of the car, 116,000 miles. In my TDI, currently at ~35,000 miles in 10 months, I am averaging 42 MPG. But my TDI is not fully broken in yet (I'm already getting better economy in the last two tanks than I have before, as it warms up).

The 3.6VR6 does not do as well real world because of the increased weight of the car and the lower drag coefficient; so the Passat TDI will most definitely do double the mpg of a 3.6 model.

McQueen77

Banned
im sure the mileage in the TDI would be great, which is really the only reason id get it, besides the torque, but have you experienced the same thing as Max said re: passing power and it being pretty gutless on the highway? you sound like the right guy to ask going from an R32 to a TDI.. How has that been, having been used to that power and then going to TDI?

3 things about the Passat stood out to me: the engine/power etc., the transmission and the size of the backseat. It is massive. Ive always liked hatchbacks for their utility but visually speaking, from the exterior, they just don't have the same feel of 'class' or whatever as a sedan, especially a black sedan. Most of what keeps me away from just getting an old Crown Victoria or something, besides overall lack of features etc. is the mileage and above all the transmission. Automatics are generally too sloppy for my taste. Ive been living with the wife's Tiguan for a while now, and I like it despite the horrendous mileage it gets for a 4 cyl, but the transmission if left to its own devices constantly bothers me. So I end up fiddling with it more than I would a manual. I usually use Sport to go 1-2-3 gears since the shifts are quick and firm and then I'll throw it in drive since I cant stand the mush feeling of how 'D' operates, not to mention that feeling of neutral esque floating and not true engine braking.. As you DSG guys know, its still a manual so you get the same feeling of true engine braking and the shifts are so fast it just seems so much smoother.

So me not wanting a 2nd slushbox but leaning hard towards an automatic leaves my choices pretty narrow. BMW makes a good 8-speed but Ive come to the realization that those cars are just out of my price range. I could afford to buy a 2010 328i w/50k miles on it. Then I've essentially got a tiny sedan w/very little cargo space, a good inline 6, a satisfactory but mostly lame transmission and epic repair and maintenance costs.. So, sedan w/some cargo space and a DSG makes my options pretty limited. Too bad they stopped making the GLI.

BTW, title of thread has been changed as I think I'm going to make this the longterm different car search thread instead of starting another one. CSB!

Last edited:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Having actually owned both an R32 and a MKVI TDI and driving both cars over the identical commute; I can tell you without a doubt it is essentially double, and I did better MPG-wise in my R32 than the EPA numbers...

I averaged 22 real-world mpg in the R32 over the life of the car, 116,000 miles. In my TDI, currently at ~35,000 miles in 10 months, I am averaging 42 MPG. But my TDI is not fully broken in yet (I'm already getting better economy in the last two tanks than I have before, as it warms up).

The 3.6VR6 does not do as well real world because of the increased weight of the car and the lower drag coefficient; so the Passat TDI will most definitely do double the mpg of a 3.6 model.

FWIW the automatic TDI's get worse mileage than your manual and the VR6 Passat is geared completely differently than the R32. It's barely spinning at highway speeds. It's also FWD, no haldex system killing the mileage.

In other words, VR6 Passat MPG >> R32 MPG.

McQueen77

Banned
FWIW the automatic TDI's get worse mileage than your manual and the VR6 Passat is geared completely differently than the R32. It's barely spinning at highway speeds. It's also FWD, no haldex system killing the mileage.

good point. this has basically eliminated Audi from my future choices because besides the A3, I have zero interest in a fwd Audi A4 with a CVT transmission. I would never own a car with a CVT, ever. AWD is nice and all but especially for where I live, 100% unnecessary. i did notice that the Passat was at like 2k RPMs at 70+ mph if I remember correctly, unlike the GTI being at 3k, which has always annoyed me.

if I could just get past the mileage i could almost commit to it as my next car. black V6 passat with tint all around could be pretty sinister.

McQueen77

Banned
This is what motor trend has to say about it. Pretty much sums it up. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds is fucking fast for a sedan like this. Im finding myself wanting this big bastard more and more.

"Prospective Passat buyers have to throw down nearly $6000 extra for the SEL V6 to get a powertrain worthy of its athletically inclined chassis. Compared to the 2.5L S, the SEL V6 feels as if it runs on pure taurine. The initial throttle response can be abrupt, but with gradual input the six-speed dual-clutch DSG orchestrates a smoother power delivery as it knocks off cogs in fractions of seconds. Watching the tachometer bounce wildly is fun to do in the Passat - you don't expect it in this kind of sedan. As you can imagine, with 110 more horses and 81 more lb-ft than the base mill, the VR6-packing Passat is a lot more entertaining. That extra power helps out if you're more of a passer than a cruiser. Its sharp turn-in impresses, as does the palatable chassis communication. Its brakes bite harder as well. Relatively speaking, the Passat V6 is the rocket of the lineup: Going from nothing to 60 mph is a 5.7-second affair; it tackles a quarter-mile in 14.2 seconds at 100.9 mph and needs 119 feet to stop from 60 mph."

This is another thing I like about it is the 100% sleeper quality of it. I am growing a little tired of the kid racer car. I tried for a long time to not see it that way but I get dipshits in civics with spoilers and guys in Evos wanting to race me all the time.. But in the end, the car isn't even that fast. The fact that you have to drop thousands on k04 and beyond to make this car fast is ridiculous. Then say goodbye to your warranty. On the other hand, I could roll up on those guys and pull them all in a Passat full of groceries and toilet paper. Urban dad sleeper assault vehicle.. Jesus christ, this may be the car.. The trick will be trying to find it for nicely under 30k. I couldnt care less about Nav or whatever. I want power seats, leatherette and that engine w/the DSG and Ill be happy. Better start keeping an eye out for CPOs floating around in the next year and maybe make my move.. GTI is paid off and worth about $17k right now... Even trickier to find a V6 w/17s instead of the 18s I had which made the ride a little stiff.

mattley crue1

Ready to race!
I had a 99 1.8t passat wagon... Lots of subtle mods... Fast daily driver. Loved driving that thing on the highway.

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
im sure the mileage in the TDI would be great, which is really the only reason id get it, besides the torque, but have you experienced the same thing as Max said re: passing power and it being pretty gutless on the highway? you sound like the right guy to ask going from an R32 to a TDI.. How has that been, having been used to that power and then going to TDI?

Highway has been no trouble at all with the TDI; it will cruise at 75+ effortlessly all day long. Once you hit highway speeds (~60+) you are right in the meat of the torque band in 6th gear, so it cruises beautifully and has plenty of power when needed. you won't be rocked back in your seat when you floor it, but it'll get the job done. Passing power is a bit low, that much is definitely true. You gotta plan passing zones a little more carefully, and you gotta be in the right gear for it (for the auto just using the kick-down would likely be fine).

Obviously the R32 was more enjoyable in pretty much every way (as would the VR6 Passat be) but I needed economy with my commute, that's why I'm in the TDI instead of a GTI now ;) As for Passat TDI vs VR6; it really comes down to what you want or need in your car. If you want the mileage for a highway cruiser/trip car then definitely get the TDI. If you want a big car that is still sporty and enjoyable, get the VR6, the TDI will never keep you happy for that.

DSG Passat TDIs do as well as Manual Golf TDIs do; the Passat's engine layout works overall better and equals the mileage of the manuals in the smaller cars (Jetta/Golf).

As for the VR6 model; despite everything you said, it still doesn't do better...
http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/passat/2012/gas v6
:iono:

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Sample size of 7 including 1 Swede getting 17mpg in a wagon compared to 277 TDI's.

Still looks like the TDI is getting closer to 50% better mileage than your claim of 100%.

I said it was essentially double, without doing the math I figured it was close enough, but I guess not... :D

The VR6 isn't bought for mileage obviously, so not many people report it on fuelly, but: 5 US Passats in the list; average economy for the 5 is 23.88 mpg; so essentially the EPA estimated combined number of 23 (we'll be nice and give them 24).

Compared to numerous reports all over (feel free to find them if you wish to confirm) that put the average economy of the DSG Passat TDI at around 42+/- mpg, so we'll stick to the low end of the average for simple-math sake and call it 42.

24mpg vs. 42mpg. 24 mpg is 75% of 42 mpg... So we were both wrong...

But; if you baby the TDI you can pretty easily raise that number up to 45-50 if you want; while if you baby the VR6 everywhere you still won't get above about 25...

Here's the comparo from the EPA as well: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31585&id=31770

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
As for Passat TDI vs VR6; it really comes down to what you want or need in your car. If you want the mileage for a highway cruiser/trip car then definitely get the TDI. If you want a big car that is still sporty and enjoyable, get the VR6, the TDI will never keep you happy for that.

I just don't think I'd be content going from the GTI to a much larger car w/considerably less power. The GTI is like *power right now* and the passat was even more so. The TDI sounds more like what I came from pre-GTI where you have to wait, downshift, all that.. Ill prob test drive one when the time comes but yeah, doubtful. But if I found the driving experience pleasurable, that mileage can't be beat. Still though, and you mention going w/the TDI for your commute. If I hypermill in the GTI on highway commutes, I get 33-34mpg all day long. So in reality there is what, a 10mpg deficit between the conservatively driven GTI and the TDI? Does that really make it worth the loss of power?The VR6 on the other hand... I may never end up in this car purely for the economy of it.

Still its actually pretty impressive that the VR6 even gets the mileage that it does since I only average about 27 in the GTI and my wife's Tiguan w/only the same turbo 4, averages about 24, at best.

-------------

The more I mill it over, I ask myself what the requirements are for the next car and they are: 4 doors, more room, not an SUV/CUV, german, good automatic transmission. This narrows things down. I don't want to completely rule out the Mk7 GTI, especially if we get the 'performance' package. A 5 door DSG Mk7 might fit the bill if I could get it with 17s from the start but part of me doesn't want another hatch even though you can't beat the utility. Sedan wise, this basically leaves the Passat VR6, a used 328i, used A4 or keep an eye out for the A3 sedan, which sounds like it'll be too small. I don't want to 'upstream' into something more cramped than the GTI. If I hadn't had gone w/a 2 door back when I was still thinking we werent going to have a kid, and had a 4 dr right now, Id probably plan on risking high out-of-warranty costs and keeping it longer, but its easy to sell it when the warranty is up since the 2 dr gets old and will most likely get older with a kid.

Other people though say "no man, hold onto it. it not being as practical as your wife's car will get you out of kid hauling duty. do you really want a bunch of toys, spitup and mess in your car all the time? leave that to mom's car". Valid points for sure. But there will come a time and that time may be sooner or later. I was able to fit this convertible Recaro seat in the back of the GTI the other day and its a bitch. Doable, but a bitch nonetheless. FWIW, I feel like I'm 'stuck' with VW as a brand for a while. Truth is I just can't justify or feel good about driving a fucking luxury car like the BMW or something that costs mid 30k used or $50k new.. It would just be totally irresponsible of me. We dont make that kind of money to responsibly own a car like that. Most people I know who drive Bimmers and Audis make shit money and pay crazy lease costs every month to drive one of those. I just can't roll like that. Seems like my only future options like with the 'people's car'..

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand why you wouldn't consider the newer Japanese/American Cars. They are great alternatives... the Ford Fusion for ex... is the best looking car in the class IMO, comes with a 2 liter turbo.

The honda accord with the V6 will be more economical and reliable, if not faster. things you want in a family car.

The Passat with the VR6 is
1. too expensive
2. too bland looking
3. too expensive to maintain
4. not reliable enough
5. not economical enough
6. very high depreciation.

the 2.5 I5 passat will be a better car in every aspect but performance.