GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 Mk5 GTI Oil Smoke on Startup in Cold Weather and Rough Startups

j_costenaro

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Hi all,

For starters, my car is a '08 GTI FSI engine code BPY with about 57 000 miles, and as for engine mods it's got an intake, catless downpipe, catback, catch can, Autotech HPFP, and a Unitronic Stage 2 HPFP tune which peaks at about 25-27 psi in cold weather. I drive it like a granny most of the time and I'll push it every now and then briefly.

I live in Canada so it's pretty cold some mornings and I noticed that whenever it is under 25 F outside and I start it, it starts pumping smoke like a chimney but it'll go away as soon as I start driving. I know it is not coolant smoke because it is always at the same level and doesn't do it while driving. Whenever it's over 32 F, not even a puff of blue smoke on startup, and as far as I am aware, I see no oil smoke under load or on deceleration.

So the only possible conclusions I can draw is valve stem seals (although the car is low mileage), bad valve cover, or bad turbo oil seals. If anyone who had a similar issue can chime in, it would be appreciated, especially before I start throwing money at it.

On a separate note, I've also noticed many times when I do start my car irrelevant of outdoor temperature, my car stumbles to life instead of it catching and going to cold start idle (it rarely holds cold start idle). The plugs might be original but I've never misfired or got a check engine becuase of it, but that still could be a cause, maybe runner flaps, maybe the low-pressure sensor on the HPFP, I don't really know, but if any of you have suggestions, let me know.

Other than that, the car runs like a champ.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Isn't something with the catch can setup freezing at sub-zero temperatures? Also the turbo might have play which allow oil into the exhaust/intake

j_costenaro

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
@dmfracer it's a Spulen V2 Catch can, in what way should I troubleshoot, maybe try going back to stock PCV?

@vwengineer what about the cold temps freezing up the catch can would you think is causing the smoke, also I could agree with the play in the turbo but smoke would show up at any temp if there was play.

@Cantaffordmygti I know lol, could maybe be the free flowing nature of my AFE Intake and 3 inch straight exhaust system with a straight through magnaflow muffler. Also I spoke with an engine tuner and he said that maybe the ECU doesn't even realize that boost pressure because our cars come stock with a 2 BAR MAP pressure sensor and my peak boost is at that limit. However, I do taper off to 21-24 psi (somewhere around there if I remember correctly). I do maintain good AFRs though.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
@vwengineer what about the cold temps freezing up the catch can would you think is causing the smoke, also I could agree with the play in the turbo but smoke would show up at any temp if there was play.
I agree for the turbo. I don't know much about catch cans, but if the PCV is malfunctioning it may lead to burning oil. Maybe if the catch can system gets clogged somewhere the same could happen (not sure if it's even possible)?

Ruderegime

Any update to this thread?
I'm having the same issues. Smoking at cold startup, after warmed up no more smoke. Like OP APR stage 2+ tune, but only spike at 20 lbs