GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2007 GOLF MK5 - Driver Seat Gives Back Problem

full-stop

Car(s)
Golf Mk5
Hi Guys,

First time poster long time reader.

I recently purchased a Mk5 Golf. The driver's seat is causing me a lot of pain in the lumbar region. Had a B4 Passat before and it had really comfortable seats.

I have read numerous posts about this issue on this forum and others and have a hopefully quick question to ask.

I have identified the area on the seat back that is causing me problems. It is just above the 1st line of stitching.

When pressing with my fingers it appears to be some form of wire (abourt 2mm wide or so), which can move up and down slightly and gives under pressure ie it can be pushed in.

I checked the other 2 stitch points on the seat back. The middle one seems to have a wire but much less noticeable and I can't really feel anything in the top one.

My FSI has lumber support but it is completely loose. I have looked on youtube and have seen videos of the lumber mechanism at the back of the seat as well as the posts (with photos) located on this forum.

Regrettably, I can't find any photos or videos which removes the foam from the front of the seat to show what this wire could be.

I have posted 2 photos and on the second one this wire (on the bottom stitching) runs immediately above my finger.

Is this wire part of the seat cover or is there something immediately behind the seat cover in that location? If the latter what is it?

Can anyone please help out?

Cheers

Seat_1.jpg Seat_3.jpg

full-stop

Car(s)
Golf Mk5
After many hours of searching I have stumbled on what appears to be the answer.

The fabric covers themselves contain fabric tensioner rods / wires

Each tensioner itself (3 for my car) runs within a sleeve sown to the inside of the fabric cover. This rod has 2 hooks at either side which attach to the side of the seat back.

Posting merely in case it is of any help to anyone and to save them many hours of searching