GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 GTI 73,000 miles also just had Cam replace ......BUT

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
Here is the story:

I'm at 73,000 miles and I wasn't getting any power between 1000-3000 rpm. And everytime I rev around 3000rpm the check engine light started flashing. So brought in. And dealer replace cam/cam follower an new fuel pump. Not sure if thy replace both cam. But I got the car back and it had no power from 1000-2000rpm as soon as I go over 3000 rpm car was fine. I called dealer they said give it time to adjust! I'm like what? He said bring it back in 100-200 miles if it doesn't get better. Well 2 days later I cant rev over 3000rpms and I'm getting multiple misfires on cylinder 3. Check engine light flashing when I hit 3000rpm. I take it in Tuesday 8/16 and get a call the next day saying that my:

My cam adjuster is gone. The bolts are shredded and it's not covered! Right now I'm having a fit. Because how can the cam adjuster and exhaust fail from.
the bolts and nuts

I called VWoA and explained to them that either their tech fucked up because I had oil All over my engine. And I wasn't getting any kind of power at low rpms. And they only people who touched my cam was their tech.

VWoA better fix this.

What do you guys think could cause:

1.) Shredding of cam bolt to cam adjuster
2.) Cam exhaust failed due to shredded bolts

Tell me if you do or don't believe the tech ef'd up on the installation?

Any advice opinions on how to approach this if the regional rep denies my request for VWoA to cover this repair?

Thanks

The dealers says it's 2000 dollars to fix! I'm like hell no. How is t possible for

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Well thy told you to drive it more even though it was screwed. Lets see if they admit to that.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
Yup. I knew as soon as I picked up the car it wasn't right. It was after hours so I had to call the next morning. I told VWoA customer care exactly what the service manager said r
To drive it for a couple hundred miles.

He better be honest about it He seems like a honest guy but we will see.

molo_Ono

Go Balls Deep
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Holyshit man. My dealer just called to say that the car is finished.

As in time to buy a new car?

sorry to take the thread off topic...

Last edited:

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
Northeast Regional rep still needs time to research how this could have happened and I'll get an answer by end of day Monday.

I guee more research and time may mean they know they ef'd something up and need to know how bad they ef'd it.

But not having a car for 2 weeks suck and no rental too

Waiting again.

langer

i fix teefs
Northeast Regional rep still needs time to research how this could have happened and I'll get an answer by end of day Monday.

I guee more research and time may mean they know they ef'd something up and need to know how bad they ef'd it.

But not having a car for 2 weeks suck and no rental too

Waiting again.
No rental? That's some horseshit if it actually is their fault.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
No rental until they decide on whether VWoA will help.

I'm fully frustrated. But I have confidence that I didn't do anything wrong and covered all my basis. I'm trying to obtain pictures and info from my extended warranty people who went to investigate the issue.

Im just playing the be cool and think positive and things will work out.

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
Seems like you should avoid that dealer from now on.

I was in a similar situation couple months, the dealer tech messed up the timing belt job. Ended up requiring a complete cylinder head replacement because the bolt snapped on the lower engine mount, tilting the engine and causing the belt to scrap and snap. Of course this wasn't covered under warranty since it was their tech's fault. The tech refused to take responsibility and they would have footed the whole bill. They wanted to charge me for diagnoses and and subsequent repair cost. Which would have been a couple thousand dollars.

I explained to them that unless they took that piece out there was no way to get to the timing belt. Sometimes the service guys only go by what the tech tells them. They had no clue it was the tech that fucked up until they had someone else look at the damage. Needless to say the dealer handled it great after they actually found out what happen, gave me a rental for three weeks and paid for everything.

You definitely have a case, why would the dealer allow a car to leave knowing the car isn't running completely right. Why didn't the tech catch this when he replaced the cam, he would have for sure come in contact with the cam adjuster.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
Update. Got call from SM yesterday they had to open a case with VW tech support Tecj support says it's a bad TENSIONER and that's what caused the chain to skip a tooth then causing my adjuster to fail. So the SM calls my extended warranty and they will cover the tensioner and I have a 100 deductible. On top of that they supposedly only need to replace the pin for the adjuster but now the chain is stretched so I need to cough up another 150 for the chain because my extended warranty is already covering the tensioner and they need to remove the chain anyways I won't have to pay labor for the new chain!

Now is it unreasonable for me to ask VW or the dealer to foot the bill for new chain. Because it wouldn't have stretched if the tech who did the cam warranty didn't install it properly or didn't notice it being bad? Which how could you not know the tensioner is bad when you have to clamp it open to get the adjuster and belt off.

Either way reg rep will call me back today. And I'm going to request that I not be liable for the chain.

What a headache. And still no loaner or rental. WTF.