GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0T Engine sound

germantech

Car(s)
07 jetta 2.0T
I've had a 07 mk5 jetta 2.0T for six months now and dont know if my engine is supposed to sound the way it does. Never had a turbo so maybe its normal, please help if you can.
No warning lights or anything and performance is fine but theres a slight knocking sound at idle. If I didn't know better Id say is a valve knocking but on an engine that tuned I imagine the engine light would be on. the knocking almost sounds like a diesel engine but very quiet.
Is that what the TFSI 2.0's are supposed to sound like?

on an unrelated note, anyone know where I can get a good deal on a GTI grill, this crome is a bit foo-foo for me.

Thanks

Kiser10

Das Boost
Car(s)
'06 GTI
You'll have better luck posting in the right section.

Aphron

CW :)!
Welcome! First would help us out if we knew more about your car. Is it tuned / have any mods / do you race it / daily driver / wrecked? I believe most of these engines make a light ticking sound at idle. One thing to watch is your cam follower. If you do not know what that is I recommend you research it, since you have a 2007 I'm assuming an FSI engine. Hard to tell with no mileage listed though.:wink:

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
yes, it's normal. direct injection engines need higher fuel pressure and the injectors sound almost like a diesel engine because of this. also, this:

You'll have better luck posting in the right section.

D-Rick21

Ready to race!
It probably is just the direct injection like others have said (haha didn't know the fsi/tsi were direct injection, good to know). My mazda is direct injection and you can here it also, same goes for the turbocharged cobalt ss. But, maybe the sound you are hearing is different from just direct injection. If you wanted to be safe about it, you could always go to a VW dealer and ask about it. They would probably have someone come out to listen to your car and hopefully they are truthful about it (Yeah, dealerships do lie about things so they can get you for bigger repairs later on). Haha I'm not trying to make you nervous about the situation or anything, just throwing out a possibility.

Alexiscoolbitches

Fortified with biscuits
on an unrelated note, anyone know where I can get a good deal on a GTI grill, this crome is a bit foo-foo for me.

Plastidip is your friend.:thumbsup:

If you are set on GTI grill, Parts4Euro has them for about $100 for upper, $60 for lower.

germantech

Car(s)
07 jetta 2.0T
Thanks for the advice everyone, sorry for posting in the wrong section, it was my first time. my mind is at ease.