GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st Annual "Hell's Gate Canyon Carving Cruise"

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
I've been wanting to be the driving force behind planning a cruise and I thought this would be a good drive in the fall.

Saturday September 28, 2013

Meet at 203rd St/ Westgate Mall Starbucks in Maple Ridge 8AM

The route is approximately 163kms from my place in Pitt Meadows and mapquest is saying approx 2.25hrs, which is about right. I've driven it.

Hells Gate map

I've spoken with Hells Gate and if we get more than 15 people, we can get a discount for admission. This allows us to grab some grub, use their amenities and possibly use the tram, etc if we choose to do so.

Their hours for the fall: Sept. 3 – Oct. 14 10:00 – 4:00

If we go up after they're closed, we have no amenities, but we can always take our own food anyways.

As part of the drive, we can drive up past HG and go to Boston Bar, so that we can drive through all 7 tunnels, then come back to HG. The tunnels will sound wicked with our exhausts.

There are also spots to stop for photos along the way and to re-group if we get separated.

History of the Tunnels

The Fraser Canyon Highway Tunnels were constructed from the spring of 1957 to 1964 as part of the Trans-Canada Highway project. There are seven tunnels in total, the shortest being about 57 metres (187 ft); the longest, however, is about 610 metres (2,000 ft) and is one of North America's longest. They are situated between Yale and Boston Bar.

In order from south to north, they are: Yale (completed 1963), Saddle Rock (1958), Sailor Bar (1959), Alexandra (1964), Hell's Gate (1960), Ferrabee (1964) and China Bar (1961). The Hell's Gate tunnel is the only tunnel that does not have lights, while the China Bar tunnel is the only tunnel that requires ventilation.

The China Bar and Alexandra tunnels have warning lights that are activated by cyclists before they enter the tunnels. This was required because the tunnels are curved. It is expected that the Ferrabee tunnel will get the same warning lights as it too is curved.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
We'll stop at the Mission Chevron for gas as it's cheaper there.:thumbsup:

just a bit more data on the distances.

Option 1: Hells Gate via Lougheed Hwy/BC-7 E and BC-1 E/Trans-Canada Hwy = 159kms/2hrs 10mins

Option 2: Boston Bar via Lougheed Hwy/BC-7 E and BC-1 E/Trans-Canada Hwy = 169kms/2hrs 18mins

Fraser Canyon Tunnels:

In order from south to north, they are: Yale (completed 1963) 130kms, Saddle Rock (1958) 134kms, Sailor Bar (1959) 140kms, Alexandra (1964) 152kms, Hell's Gate (1960) 157kms, Ferrabee (1964) 157kms and China Bar (1961) 162kms. The Hell's Gate tunnel is the only tunnel that does not have lights, while the China Bar tunnel is the only tunnel that requires ventilation.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
OK, so I just got off the phone w/Debbie at HG and here's the info I was looking for.

1st - for a group of 15+ persons, the cost is $14.50. Otherwise it's $21/person.

**All amenities are on the other side, so no washrooms, food or souvenirs w/out purchase of admission.

We can all park together if she knows how many of us will be there, she will reserve space for us. So this will work well for photos.

HG is approx 35km's from Hope, so approx a 45 minute drive w/out stops, so I figure about 90 mins for us to do our photo/video thing through the tunnels and going up through the last tunnel to come back to HG.

That being said, I definitely think that an 8-815 departure from Maple Ridge is needed to leave enough time for getting there.

If anyone has any questions, please pm me.

I would like to email Debbie by Mon or Tues next week with a pretty accurate number, so please say yea or nay.

Thanks.
:thumbsup: