GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

12V+ question

vdubobsession

White Mtn Watercooled
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
I have a Sony touchscreen dvd player in my 07 GTI and have had an issue with powering it ever since I installed it. I was told to jump the rear wiper fuse at the panel to get switched power. When I do that I do get power but there is a probelm. Key forward=power okay, crank motor=lose power, key back to run position=deck has power but the touch screen gets messed up. I can hear the sound very faintly but nothing else works. My question is where can I tap for switched power that won't cut out when I am turning the motor over. Right now I have the deck on constant power which is annoying because I have to turn it on and off manually everytime.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Front cigarette lighter. Tap into the +12v on that. Switched only with the ignition. It'll work great. :thumbsup:

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
At least on my car, the cigarette lighter power is cut when cranking the engine. I think it does that to prevent a power surge as the power is turned on. Not sure though.

Bump for an another answer.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Even if it does cut power while cranking, it's only for a split second. As far as I know all cars do this anyway, even when using the stock +12v switched lead. It's a momentary loss of power and shouldn't cause any problems with the head unit at all.

I'm using the cig lighter wire for my CarPC and I can assure you that it's not cutting off my PC every time I turn the car over. I know there is a voltage drop but most head units should compensate for this. Even my CarPC power supply compensates for this momentary drop in voltage. I think it may be a problem with the unit itself, not the power feed.

Correct me if I'm wrong some one...