GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 GTI, how's it look?

keepityello

First of all I am new to the forum, and I am looking to purchase my first car. I've been looking for quite a while, and perhaps the reason I haven't found something is that I don't want to rush into a dumb purcahse. So here I am asking advice.

I found an 06 GTI (2.0T with the dual-clutch automatic) listed for $3375 that I am seriously considering. Mileage is 158000, but the owner claims it has been "well cared for" and that they are mostly highway miles. They also say it comes with "Michelin pilot sport tires."

As for the issues:

There appears to have been some problems with the drivers side wheels and suspension system but only on the left side?? The owner lists that both left side wheel bearings have been replace and that the left front coil springs still need to be replaced. They also mention the brakes making noise.

Other things are: gas cap, purge valve, there is wear on the rear arm rest, and the headliner is coming loose slightly. Unfortuntely the seller only posted pictures of the exterior not the interior so I can only go off of his/her words.

So...whaddaya think? Good deal? What about the issues listed, they seem to be fairly simple fixes overall, but I'm no expert. If I do contact the seller what questions should I ask? Would love input!

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
My impression reading "158,000 mi" with your description of "There appears to have been some problems with the drivers side wheels and suspension system but only on the left side?? The owner lists that both left side wheel bearings have been replaced and that the left front coil springs still need to be replaced. They also mention the brakes making noise."
I would definitely have the car inspected on a lift by a VW mechanic if possible with no skin in the game. Look at it this way; at that mileage if the car has been "well cared for" why does it have any issues at all? Sounds like this car is remote from you for an inspection so if were me, I'd keep looking unless what you want is a money pit in which case you may have already found one. What is the history of the car? If it has had an incident of running over a curb or a parking barrier with the driver side it might just be fubar'd. Proceed with caution is my advice. Otherwise, you would like service history. Evidence of regular oil and filter changes and the owners observation of oil use (1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable). They should know this. DSG fluid service every 40K mi? Cam Follower checked and/or replaced at least every 10,000 mi? Has the FSI engine been modified from stock? Are they the original owners of the vehicle? If you search this forum, you will learn anything I know about these cars and much more. Here is that car without the issues for 4K more...https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/casselberry-2006-volkswagen-gti-20t-700/6891391109.html You be the judge of what "well cared for" means.

keepityello

Yeah, I've already moved on from this car. I asked the seller a lot of the questions you mentioned (original owner, if there was an incident, regular oil change and maintenance). They didn't really respond. I've seen the list price go down every night since it was posted, so I would assume the person is either just trying to make a quick buck, or it is a scam.

The link you provided is nice, it's a bit out of my price range though.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
I paid $10,000 for my 2007 -FSI/DSG with 53K miles on it in 2015. All it needed at the time was a new headliner (common problem with these cars). Other than that, it's been maintenance, no "repairs". Save your money and get a car that has been "well cared for" not a car that you can't enjoy because your always busy repairing it and dropping necessary money into it. JMHO.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
For me, "I would definitely have the car inspected on a lift by a VW mechanic if possible with no skin in the game. "

Are you mocking me?????

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
Just a point I would like to make is if the seller of the vehicle states the car has been well cared for, but then it needs blah, blah, blah and also blah will need replaced in the future....this car was NOT well cared for. A well cared for car is one that the owner has taken care of any and all problems as they arose, not allowing them to compile.