GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: MIB1 > MIB2 NEW SIMPLIFIED Method

DucMike

Car(s)
R32 -> Mk6 GTI
Wow; take one little break from these threads & the world does a 180. I actually have a Delphi MIB II head unit from a 2016 Jetta (p/n 5C0-035-200-A) and was wondering if anyone knows if this hack would work on it as well. I'd been expecting to have to go thru Jack or one of the others doing the on-line coding but now... I'm hopeful to say the least.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Wow; take one little break from these threads & the world does a 180. I actually have a Delphi MIB II head unit from a 2016 Jetta (p/n 5C0-035-200-A) and was wondering if anyone knows if this hack would work on it as well. I'd been expecting to have to go thru Jack or one of the others doing the on-line coding but now... I'm hopeful to say the least.
You have to follow the instructions in the thread and verify that your software train is patchable.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The patch method described in this thread is for Delphi manufactured units. 5C0035200A appears to be a TechniSat/Preh unit. Those units have various ways of patching but I don't have experience with them.

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
The site https://mibwiki.one/ will have more info on what can be done with TechniSat/Preh if that is indeed the manufacturer. I am not familiar with how to do this.

But, also, look around. Golfs are pretty plentiful, and you should be able to find a Delphi unit like mine without too long of a search. Mine came from a 2017 Golf (I believe). Facebook marketplace is where I found mine.

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Thanks for this thread. It promped me to buy parts on eBay and do the retrofit. A couple of differences in my install that I'll detail for others:

1. I purchased the USB carplay harness from eBay for $23 as I didn't feel comfortable trying to open up the factory plugs to change pins. Routing the cable to the glovebox was pretty simple. I dropped the glovebox and easily go the cable to the area of the cabin filter and then was easy to get it up to the headunit area from there. I used a lighted boroscope which has a somewhat stiff cable to feed the wires through.
2. My headunit came with P0268D loaded from the factory. I unlocked it with Congo & Duke (may not have been necessary) and then upgraded to P0365D (non-nav) from mibsolution. I then ran Congo & Duke 3.0 and it removed the CP for me.
3. I did not need the D-Link adapter or to put the two scripts (steps 5-9 above) since Congo & Duke 3.0 did all of the work
4. I went to https://mib-helper.com/im-so-xory/ and did that fix. Not sure if it's even necessary
5. Everything worked properly except I couldn't get sound or see module 47 in VCDS until brentgti helped me here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ainment-conversion-part-1.343701/post-8003154 After those changes were made, I was able to see module 47 and change byte 0.

Everything is working perfectly now. I also added a carlinkit mini so I have wireless carplay now.

Be sure to check all of the coding in the Adaptations section using VCDS. I overlooked a setting and was having intermittent issues with my reverse camera. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/reverse-camera-issues-after-swap-to-mib2.436597/
Thanks for this summary. I think I'm in a similar situation with my 2015 Golf TDI (Canada) MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade. The MIB2 head unit I got is from a 2018 Atlas (USA), it's the Delphi unit 3Q0035844B. On the label, beside the PN in smaller font is 0890 which I've been told is the firmware version. I have all the needed parts recommended in this DIY but have not yet installed it. I want to make sure I have everything ready before starting. Having not hooked it up the software train ID is not yet confirmed but I'm expecting MST2-US-VW-P0890D. I'm expecting it will by Carplay and Android Auto ready but there will be the Component Protection appearing on the screen, with speakers not working. I'm not yet fully sure on the software update procedure but if I understand correctly I'll only need to run the Congo & Duke 3.0 to remove the CP? I do have the ODB Eleven, but I'm not sure of what adaptations I'll need to modify to update from 2018 Atlas to 2015 Golf TDI (Canada), does anyone have advice on this please?

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for this summary. I think I'm in a similar situation with my 2015 Golf TDI (Canada) MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade. The MIB2 head unit I got is from a 2018 Atlas (USA), it's the Delphi unit 3Q0035844B. On the label, beside the PN in smaller font is 0890 which I've been told is the firmware version. I have all the needed parts recommended in this DIY but have not yet installed it. I want to make sure I have everything ready before starting. Having not hooked it up the software train ID is not yet confirmed but I'm expecting MST2-US-VW-P0890D. I'm expecting it will by Carplay and Android Auto ready but there will be the Component Protection appearing on the screen, with speakers not working. I'm not yet fully sure on the software update procedure but if I understand correctly I'll only need to run the Congo & Duke 3.0 to remove the CP? I do have the ODB Eleven, but I'm not sure of what adaptations I'll need to modify to update from 2018 Atlas to 2015 Golf TDI (Canada), does anyone have advice on this please?
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...”-display-retrofit-guide.436832/#post-8016174

erichhart

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if the same can be done with the MIB 3 system. I really want to upgrade the composition media in my 2015 Golf and add a rear view camera and android auto

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Ok so i did the Congo and Duke activator, didnt remove CP. I have MST2_US_VW_P0890D software in the Radio. I found the patch delphiin.ifs for my software version and loaded it onto the SD card with the delphi.sh file. Both in the root with nothing else on it. I loaded it and now my radio comes up to the VW screen then restarts. If i put the SD card back in it comes up with the blue screen that says updating then goes to the green screen saying successful. When I take the SD card out and restart it it then does the same thing, VW screen then restarts. I cannot find the 0890D firmware anywhere to download. How can I fix this?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Ok so i did the Congo and Duke activator, didnt remove CP. I have MST2_US_VW_P0890D software in the Radio. I found the patch delphiin.ifs for my software version and loaded it onto the SD card with the delphi.sh file. Both in the root with nothing else on it. I loaded it and now my radio comes up to the VW screen then restarts. If i put the SD card back in it comes up with the blue screen that says updating then goes to the green screen saying successful. When I take the SD card out and restart it it then does the same thing, VW screen then restarts. I cannot find the 0890D firmware anywhere to download. How can I fix this?
The delphibin ifs is specific to both the software train and the unit's hardware type (e.g., STD2Nav). If the wrong delphibin gets injected, the unit probably gets bricked but might be recoverable... however, I unfortunately don't have experience with recovering Delphi units. Did the patch that you used correspond to your unit's specific hardware type?

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
The delphibin ifs is specific to both the software train and the unit's hardware type (e.g., STD2Nav). If the wrong delphibin gets injected, the unit probably gets bricked but might be recoverable... however, I unfortunately don't have experience with recovering Delphi units. Did the patch that you used correspond to your unit's specific hardware type?
I'm also in the process of removing component protection for my newly installed MIB2 Delphi Standard (non Nav) unit with 0890D. I installed the Congo & Duke successfully. My understanding is the Congo & Duke activator is required to allow scripts to be run from the SD card, i.e. to install the patch(es). Using OBD Eleven I enabled developer mode, then I could go to the Green Engineering Menu where I found Ethernet already enabled under Debugging. At first the IP address (I was expecting 192.168.1.4) was blank but after plugging into the USB port it appeared. Then I followed the "DLink" method to run the commands (including backup, 1st step) for the CP patch. It executed fine however it would not boot at all, even after several attempts holding down the power button for 30 seconds. At this point I thought I had bricked it and realized the 0890D patch (delphibin.ifs) I had found was for 0890D for the "Plus" version and not the Standard that I have. Even though it wouldn't boot I could still connect with Putty so I repeated the CP patch procedure using the backed-up (original delphibin.ifs), to try to restore it to the original state (i.e. boots with CP active) and this was successful fortunately (i.e. recovered). The above was my plan B for CP fix, my plan A was to have the VW Dealer do it (i.e. with ODIS). Near me there are 5 VW Dealerships, none of them had any clue of what component protection was but there was one dealer that said they could do it for $60 (1/3rd of an hour), when I got there (made an appointment) they realized the had quoted me "radio recoding", i.e. I guess that dates back to the old VW radios (like I had in my 1987 Golf MK2), they said they had a technician ("Infotainment Guru") who could do it but even he didn't know about CP deactivation so would have to figure it out, and I would be charged $180 per hour!! Coming back to my Plan B, having been able to recover from the wrong delphibin.ifs once, I decided to give another go, using the file recommended in the above DIY, knowing it was not the matching S/W train as mine. It executed fine but no luck, would not boot. Worse still, the Ethernet no longer worked (Putty) so now I thought I've really bricked it...without the ability to run the commands to revert to original. But, I decided to try adding the delphi.sh file to the SD card (also with original delphibin.ifs), stuck it in the SD slot and did the manual reboot using power button hold. After doing this (and to be honest I don't know why it worked, I was guessing) it was recovered, albeit with CP still active. Today I called my VW mechanic (not the Dealer!) and he's connected me with a local guy who has a lot of experience with the MIB's including CP removal, he charges $125 (CAD) to do it. Hope that works otherwise I guess my Plan C with be to try to find a proven version of software version and delphibin.ifs patche that will work with it. Stay tuned...

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
I'm also in the process of removing component protection for my newly installed MIB2 Delphi Standard (non Nav) unit with 0890D. I installed the Congo & Duke successfully. My understanding is the Congo & Duke activator is required to allow scripts to be run from the SD card, i.e. to install the patch(es). Using OBD Eleven I enabled developer mode, then I could go to the Green Engineering Menu where I found Ethernet already enabled under Debugging. At first the IP address (I was expecting 192.168.1.4) was blank but after plugging into the USB port it appeared. Then I followed the "DLink" method to run the commands (including backup, 1st step) for the CP patch. It executed fine however it would not boot at all, even after several attempts holding down the power button for 30 seconds. At this point I thought I had bricked it and realized the 0890D patch (delphibin.ifs) I had found was for 0890D for the "Plus" version and not the Standard that I have. Even though it wouldn't boot I could still connect with Putty so I repeated the CP patch procedure using the backed-up (original delphibin.ifs), to try to restore it to the original state (i.e. boots with CP active) and this was successful fortunately (i.e. recovered). The above was my plan B for CP fix, my plan A was to have the VW Dealer do it (i.e. with ODIS). Near me there are 5 VW Dealerships, none of them had any clue of what component protection was but there was one dealer that said they could do it for $60 (1/3rd of an hour), when I got there (made an appointment) they realized the had quoted me "radio recoding", i.e. I guess that dates back to the old VW radios (like I had in my 1987 Golf MK2), they said they had a technician ("Infotainment Guru") who could do it but even he didn't know about CP deactivation so would have to figure it out, and I would be charged $180 per hour!! Coming back to my Plan B, having been able to recover from the wrong delphibin.ifs once, I decided to give another go, using the file recommended in the above DIY, knowing it was not the matching S/W train as mine. It executed fine but no luck, would not boot. Worse still, the Ethernet no longer worked (Putty) so now I thought I've really bricked it...without the ability to run the commands to revert to original. But, I decided to try adding the delphi.sh file to the SD card (also with original delphibin.ifs), stuck it in the SD slot and did the manual reboot using power button hold. After doing this (and to be honest I don't know why it worked, I was guessing) it was recovered, albeit with CP still active. Today I called my VW mechanic (not the Dealer!) and he's connected me with a local guy who has a lot of experience with the MIB's including CP removal, he charges $125 (CAD) to do it. Hope that works otherwise I guess my Plan C with be to try to find a proven version of software version and delphibin.ifs patche that will work with it. Stay tuned...
Ok that helps for sure. That is exactly how mine is behaving and probably what happened to me. I plan to, If I can recover it, update to the newest firmware as It has the correct patch available. I have unfortunately lost my original Delphibin.ifs file (my stupid mistake). Could you possibly be able to send me your original file? That's the only way I can see myself being able to recover at this point. Thank you for all of the info! I have my USB adapter arriving today. Luckily its easy to throw my MIB1 back in so I still have radio until I figure this out.

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Just saw your reply. It looked like it was the correct one, MST2_US_VW_P0890D, However I am thinking it was for the Plus like Simrwil was saying and not the standard. I am going to have to look into it because it was not very clear and misleading on the files I got.

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Ok that helps for sure. That is exactly how mine is behaving and probably what happened to me. I plan to, If I can recover it, update to the newest firmware as It has the correct patch available. I have unfortunately lost my original Delphibin.ifs file (my stupid mistake). Could you possibly be able to send me your original file? That's the only way I can see myself being able to recover at this point. Thank you for all of the info! I have my USB adapter arriving today. Luckily its easy to throw my MIB1 back in so I still have radio until I figure this out.
Hi, Yes I'd be happy to send it to you. Do you have a Dropbox (or similar) file sharing link? I strongly recommend that you confirm your hardware config is identical to mine (label photo attached)
67C3E902-F2F9-4B01-AD25-D652208BC1E4.JPG

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Just saw your reply. It looked like it was the correct one, MST2_US_VW_P0890D, However I am thinking it was for the Plus like Simrwil was saying and not the standard. I am going to have to look into it because it was not very clear and misleading on the files I got.
I got the (incorrect) patch for 0890D from mibsolution.one, looking after I realized it was for the Plus hardware, I assume that's why it didn't work. The US patches available are less than EU.