GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

flight1us

Ready to race!
Anyone have luck with replacing ABS Wheel Speeds Sensor with something aside from OEM. I.E one of the OE manufacturers like Febi, Hella, and the like. thanks in advanced for any input

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Is there a supply issue or a big price difference?

Never tried it, my general rule of thumb is never screw around when dealing with safety equipment. Brand new OEM only.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Never tried it, my general rule of thumb is never screw around when dealing with safety equipment. Brand new OEM only.

Many of the brands mentioned are in fact suppliers of OEM parts. I dont think you can go wrong with Meyle, Febi, Peirburg and so on.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Many of the brands mentioned are in fact suppliers of OEM parts. I dont think you can go wrong with Meyle, Febi, Peirburg and so on.

Understood, and while I am often a proponent of pointing out OE suppliers versus OEM parts they are still sometimes differences. For instance VW doesn't make tie rod ends, they contract with Beck Arnley/TRW/Moog, etc but that doesn't mean it's the same part in the box at the local parts store with those companies logo's on them. Many people don't realize there is often a difference even between the part delivered to the factory for assembly and the part you buy from the dealer parts department. I've received parts from the dealer that don't fit and it's not a clear manufacturing defect per se, it's just not quite right, comes from parts being produced at the end of the toolings service life. Worn out tools have sloppier tolerances. That won't fly on a factory line, they get parts only from the earliest runs which are closest to ideal specs. If one of my techs has to sit around and wait for a different part they don't care, if the assembly line has to slow or stop.....that's money out of their pockets.

I'm just saying when it comes to something like a speed sensor that's vital for things like ABS, stability, and traction control even down to TPMS with indirect systems I don't think saving $10-20 would be important to me, and if it was MORE than that in savings.....I would really start to wonder why it was that much cheaper.

My 2c is all YMMV

flight1us

Ready to race!
Understood, and while I am often a proponent of pointing out OE suppliers versus OEM parts they are still sometimes differences. For instance VW doesn't make tie rod ends, they contract with Beck Arnley/TRW/Moog, etc but that doesn't mean it's the same part in the box at the local parts store with those companies logo's on them. Many people don't realize there is often a difference even between the part delivered to the factory for assembly and the part you buy from the dealer parts department. I've received parts from the dealer that don't fit and it's not a clear manufacturing defect per se, it's just not quite right, comes from parts being produced at the end of the toolings service life. Worn out tools have sloppier tolerances. That won't fly on a factory line, they get parts only from the earliest runs which are closest to ideal specs. If one of my techs has to sit around and wait for a different part they don't care, if the assembly line has to slow or stop.....that's money out of their pockets.

I'm just saying when it comes to something like a speed sensor that's vital for things like ABS, stability, and traction control even down to TPMS with indirect systems I don't think saving $10-20 would be important to me, and if it was MORE than that in savings.....I would really start to wonder why it was that much cheaper.

My 2c is all YMMV

Thank you for a great point of view, never viewed things in that perspective

Dlq001

My 2c is all YMMV
I have no idea where I can get an OEM VW branded wheel sensor for $10-20 more than, say, a Bosch at ~$28. Not saying I would buy a Rock Auto $8.99 sensor. But cheapest I can find an OEM is $101.00. Never had a problem with Bosch, so if cleaning my sensor doesn't fix the problem, I'll go with the Bosch. The points in first paragraph make some sense thou, thanks for that info. Chris