GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
So if an EQT stage 2 91 octane tune gives me 330hp, and I have APR coils, does that mean I have 340 hp? Or do I only get the extra 10 hp if I swap them after getting the tune? :ROFLMAO:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
So if an EQT stage 2 91 octane tune gives me 330hp, and I have APR coils, does that mean I have 340 hp? Or do I only get the extra 10 hp if I swap them after getting the tune? :ROFLMAO:
No you have to use their tune, otherwise it's minus 10hp.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
did he also test new OE coilpacks? otherwise it's pretty fair to assume it's just the age, not anything magical about coilpacks without tuning for additional dwell time.
Yes that would have been a good way to make this more scientific. Pardon my ignorance, but:
  • Wouldn’t a weak spark from old packs simply cause misfires?
  • Has it ever been shown on a dyno that old packs cause a loss in power?
  • If 22,000-mi coil packs are “old” and causing loss of power, then we’re almost all driving around with 10hp or more loss?

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Can we constantly swap coil packs to add 10hp every time? Infinite HP?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yes that would have been a good way to make this more scientific. Pardon my ignorance, but:
  • Wouldn’t a weak spark from old packs simply cause misfires?
  • Has it ever been shown on a dyno that old packs cause a loss in power?
  • If 22,000-mi coil packs are “old” and causing loss of power, then we’re almost all driving around with 10hp or more loss?
was he logging misfires? that video is just designed to make people think aftermarket coils can add power.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
At 79000 miles on my original coil packs, should I purchase a fresh set from FCPeuro? (OEM, not APR) Could be pushing my luck with them...

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
was he logging misfires? that video is just designed to make people think aftermarket coils can add power.
No, there were zero indications his stock coils were bad. That's why I'm asking the questions. You seem very sure that the only explanation is that the coils he took out were old/going bad, so I'm trying to understand more... To be clear: I don't expect APR coils to make 10hp. But I don't know enough to have a strong opinion either way, so I'm trying to reconcile the dyno results.

At 79000 miles on my original coil packs, should I purchase a fresh set from FCPeuro? (OEM, not APR) Could be pushing my luck with them...
They're not maintenance items. The conventional wisdom in the community and from VAG techs is you only need to replace them if there's a problem.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Wait for the misfires. If you have a misfire, log the cylinder it's coming from. Swap two coil packs and see if the misfire follows. If it does, replace the coil (I usually replace all four at this point and keep one of the old, good ones as a backup in the hatch). If the misfire doesn't follow, follow the same procedure with the spark plugs. Anything past that is beyond me as you're probably dealing with an injector or some other thing I don't mess with anymore haha.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Wait for the misfires. If you have a misfire, log the cylinder it's coming from. Swap two coil packs and see if the misfire follows. If it does, replace the coil (I usually replace all four at this point and keep one of the old, good ones as a backup in the hatch). If the misfire doesn't follow, follow the same procedure with the spark plugs. Anything past that is beyond me as you're probably dealing with an injector or some other thing I don't mess with anymore haha.
Working through a misfire issue, though new colder plugs probably resolved it. I think ive just read in the past OEM packs don't last forever therefore I might buy new for preventative maintinance at the very least.