GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Are any coil packs other than OEM useful? From what I understand, the OEM packs provide plenty of juice for pretty much any build.

Useful as in work?

I've running on a cheapo coil from the parts store, think I paid $32 for it. Works great. It's a boring black, with no markings on it though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Useful as in work?

I've running on a cheapo coil from the parts store, think I paid $32 for it. Works great. It's a boring black, with no markings on it though.
Might even be rebranded oem.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
APR coil packs are just for engine bay bling. Nothing more nothing less.

They look sick in my engine bay under the cover!

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
1653318471737.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1653325118428.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Fun fact: "True upgrade, not just aesthetic" is taken directly from APR's description of the coil packs :rolleyes:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The exception is people that buy a new car every few years from same dealer. I've bought 6 cars at one dealer. If I went to that dealer to buy right now, they'd sell like normal to me, because if they tried to gouge me, I'd simple not buy from them and go somewhere else in the future.

Cold walking into a dealer with no relationship, you're screwed right now.

And even with a relationship, certain really high demand cars, you'll probably still get screwed.
Have you bought a car in the last 6-8
months?

It’s not about gouging… they won’t having anything to give you a deal on, you’re going to pay within $500-300 of sticker on new, and late model preowned is a considerably higher cost than what it would have been 1.5 to 2 years ago. And that higher cost is still the deal being FAIR *based on current market values.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Have you bought a car in the last 6-8
months?

It’s not about gouging… they won’t having anything to give you a deal on, you’re going to pay within $500-300 of sticker on new, and late model preowned is a considerably higher cost than what it would have been 1.5 to 2 years ago. And that higher cost is still the deal being FAIR *based on current market values.
Yup - used market still bonkers b/c new market still thin.
Best you can do is try to wait them out and see if they lower prices. Looks like 4 weeks on the lot is a typical first drop, not much of a drop, but something.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Fun fact: "True upgrade, not just aesthetic" is taken directly from APR's description of the coil packs :rolleyes:
If they have a true recorded 10% higher energy output/transfer it is still an “upgrade” just a needed one or one you can actually see the benefits from is real question of is it *worthwhile* upgrade. But pricing on them is good anyways, I just wish they had yellow and green too so I could harlequin the packs

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup - used market still bonkers b/c new market still thin.
Best you can do is try to wait them out and see if they lower prices. Looks like 4 weeks on the lot is a typical first drop, not much of a drop, but something.
Yeah, unless something changes I’m just gonna wait 2+ more years for the BUZZ 😅 till I get a new vehicle anyways.