GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 20: wait really? Day 20? Wow
Well today I'm really feeling it. 20 days of driving, 10000 miles (I'm so tired I was confused as to how I could average 1000/day, pray for my dumbass), it gets to you. I really just want to go home, and I'm probably going to cut out parts of my trip. My intentions were to drop down from upper Michigan to Ohio and Kentucky, but I may miss that in favor of just cutting home instead. Glacier NP is an absolute must for me, though, as it's the Tunnel of Trees in MI. Also really want to see the redwoods, as I had to skip the Sequoias.

I started the day out how everyone who owns a VW starts the day out: dropping 1k on car parts. ECS Rear rotors, RedStuff pads, tensioner kit, APR solid shifter bracket, UniConnect+, and an 034M dogbone. Should have some good upgrades waiting for me when I get home.

Also found out the tune attached to my car 🥳 and with that, I now know every single mod done to my car, unless he messed with fueling. Unitronic Stage 2, flashed in 2015. So in case you're wondering, you can drive 10000 miles on a stage 2 tune with no engine problems.

Anyway, I'm delaying this daily post almost as much as I did driving yesterday. I set off around 10:30am, which is very late for me considering I was up at 6:30ish. Headed back toward the PCH, and from here on I'm pretty much gonna let the photos speak for themselves.

Ran into a McLaren something or other Spider. I love the McLaren's but damn it's nearly impossible to tell one model from the next!
IMG_20200605_144558.jpg

Also encountered gas that was more per gallon than the federal minimum wage (I'm not sure which of those two things is worse)
Snapchat-420091550.jpg

Broke my gas cap for the umpteenth time. Holding it while the super glue sets as we speak
IMG_20200606_073351_MP.jpg

Side note: it won't fucking stay on after holding it for 5 minutes. Stupid thing has been frustrating me for months. I'm going to see what it takes to replace it when I get home.
I had In-N-Out finally. Every single time I stopped to try it the lines are insane, but I finally said fuck it they're all gonna be like this. Burger is really good and fresh, fries are some of the worst I've ever had. Pretty much my same reaction to jack in the box, except slightly better burger and worse fries.
Pulled over last night because my tire light came on. All my tires were between 31.5 and 32.5 except my FR, which was suspiciously at 37. Filled them all up on the side of the road.

Screenshot_20200606-100612.png

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The right answer is it's called a pendulum. People call it a dogbone because it resembles a dogbone lol.

As far as spm....I've been trying to buy their track resonator delete section for about 6 months. Emailed them and they said it's on back order 🤷‍♂️
I have one on order. Half paid for already. I'll let you know when mine is in so you can look into getting one yourself.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
From what I recall reading ECS has been swallowing up their competition. Those companies now have sunk to the level of ECS. Not good.

Read this > Jalopnik article
Yeah, that's the article. I forgot just how scummy they had gotten.
Lol I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions on companies 😂 I was just reviewing the sites and their ease of use. Some of the smaller ones, which I'd love to support, need some site design revamps. And hell even ECS needs a god damn sort function. It's like such a basic feature.

I have one on order. Half paid for already. I'll let you know when mine is in so you can look into getting one yourself.
Maybe they just don't like you 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'll try to charm them 😎

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
As far as spm....I've been trying to buy their track resonator delete section for about 6 months. Emailed them and they said it's on back order 🤷‍♂️
And damn, the track res is one of the parts I was hoping for. I may settle for a track J and street res instead. Does anyone have a video of the sound difference between the two resonators?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that's the article. I forgot just how scummy they had gotten.
Lol I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions on companies 😂 I was just reviewing the sites and their ease of use. Some of the smaller ones, which I'd love to support, need some site design revamps. And hell even ECS needs a god damn sort function. It's like such a basic feature.

Maybe they just don't like you 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'll try to charm them 😎
Show em your tindy

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
And damn, the track res is one of the parts I was hoping for. I may settle for a track J and street res instead. Does anyone have a video of the sound difference between the two resonators?
When I get mine it's going right in. I have street catback right now. Keeping the mufflers for now.

torga

Autocross Champion
Also encountered gas that was more per gallon than the federal minimum wage (I'm not sure which of those two things is worse)
View attachment 175912
Broke my gas cap for the umpteenth time. Holding it while the super glue sets as we speak
View attachment 175915
Side note: it won't fucking stay on after holding it for 5 minutes. Stupid thing has been frustrating me for months. I'm going to see what it takes to replace it when I get home.
I had In-N-Out finally. Every single time I stopped to try it the lines are insane, but I finally said fuck it they're all gonna be like this. Burger is really good and fresh, fries are some of the worst I've ever had. Pretty much my same reaction to jack in the box, except slightly better burger and worse fries.
Pulled over last night because my tire light came on. All my tires were between 31.5 and 32.5 except my FR, which was suspiciously at 37. Filled them all up on the side of the road.
Highest premium price I've ever seen was like $5.50, what the hell. Where was that gas station?? And how does your gas door break?? It requires almost no force to swing open.

In-N-Out burgers are great. Animal Style is great. Their fries taste like Yu-Gi-Oh cards. The times I've come up to an In-N-Out and the drive-thru was hopelessly full -- spilling into the actual street -- I just walked in and there'd be hardly anyone inside.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
In-N-Out burgers are great. Animal Style is great. Their fries taste like Yu-Gi-Oh cards. The times I've come up to an In-N-Out and the drive-thru was hopelessly full -- spilling into the actual street -- I just walked in and there'd be hardly anyone inside.

Yea fries are basically potato sticks. I used to get a few of the yellow peppers(cascabella) and squeeze the juice over the fries.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
My fuel door started cracking and hanging by the edge of the plastic about 8 months ago. Super glued it, had no problems until a couple months ago when I noticed the cracking reappear. Fixed it again. It was fine until I was at that overpriced gas station. I bumped it slightly when I was using my backup gallon (fuck 7.40 a gallon) and it just completely fell to the ground. This is one of those few things I'll blame the car on. It's not like I'm using excessive force or shit.

Also the gas was in the middle of Big Sur along the PCH, first gas station for miles. No cell service in sight. The next 30 miles had a few more gas stations, all getting slightly cheaper then the previous. Unfortunately I was nearly empty so I had no choice.
Shit, I think I forgot to record what I did end up paying. It was 16.00 for 3.xx gallons or so. Something like 4.40 a gallon.