GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
There are a lot of good posts on Discount Tire's site, Tire Rack's as well:

Discount/America's Tire Tips:
https://www.americastire.com/learn

https://www.americastire.com/learn/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric
https://www.americastire.com/learn/hub-rings

https://www.americastire.com/learn/lug-nuts

Tire Rack Tech Tips
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp?tab=All

Lug Nuts
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=102

Torqueing
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=107

Centerbore (hub centric info)
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=91

A lot of things specific to VWs/this forum should probably be put into one post or a doc, you're right. If I have some time I might try compiling a greatest hits and host it.

I know I posted something once but I can't find it now (Found it: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=794119&postcount=34), stud conversions are a bit complicated unless you're familiar with all the related components.

Their Pros:
Place to hang the wheel while mounting
Ability to use spacers without needing longer bolts (I can swap between 3, 5, 10mm+ spacers now with no changes, for example)
Less wear on the hub, so if you swap wheels constantly less chance of damage to threads on a $200 hub
Studs are cheap to replace if they are damaged, same with lug nuts

Cons:
Complicated, at least to make sure you're getting all matching parts
Lug nuts to match wheels designed for ball seat lug bolts are not extremely common, but most stud conversion retailers/manufacturers have a small selection to offer.

I would say not necessary for most people, unless you know why you want to convert. If you've got factory wheels, no spacers, and only rotate your tires a few times a year, it's not going to change your life. If you've got a few sets aftermarket wheels, swap during track days, want to run funky lug nuts for style reasons, play around with spacers, etc. then you should definitely consider one.

Excellent information thanks

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Good day everyone

I was looking to convert to M14x1.5 and using 15mm spacers all the way around and keep on using my stock wheels since I have a summer and winter sets on them already so I would need to retain the ball seat lug nut (r13).

How long of a stud bolt should I go (70mm)?

Would it be better to use a closed or open lug design? I was thinking the closed would keep salt and water off the threads

Any suggestions on a ball seat wheel locks too?

Thanks

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Good day everyone

I was looking to convert to M14x1.5 and using 15mm spacers all the way around and keep on using my stock wheels since I have a summer and winter sets on them already so I would need to retain the ball seat lug nut (r13).

How long of a stud bolt should I go (70mm)?

Would it be better to use a closed or open lug design? I was thinking the closed would keep salt and water off the threads

Any suggestions on a ball seat wheel locks too?

Thanks
Stud length (what part of the stud we're talking about) is sometimes vague in product descriptions. Some, like motorsport hardware explicitly state spacer sizes.

From browsing products, I suggest you review each product's description for info on spacers and if unknown, contact the vendor for recommendation.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I had some PMs with ITGUY about what he was looking for, like odessa.filez said you should either look for the retailer to state how much of a spacer the studs allow, or you have to do some maths.

There is usually 12-15mm worth of threads that go into the hub, then 3-6mm of unthreaded space that is going to be where the brake rotor lives. After that, you have your effective threaded length to use for wheel thickness, spacer and thread engagement.

Wheels are typically 10mm or so thick, that's what we'll use. Then 15mm worth of spacer, so 25mm used up total before we put a lug nut on. A 14mm thread should have 14mm of minimum thread engagement, that's just a broad industry standard. That means that the load of the threads is being distributed across sufficient threads so that there aren't concerns for failure.

Add that all up, and you should have at least ~40mm worth of threads protruding from the brake rotor face for a 15mm spacer. At least, minimum, etc. means more is fine. However, if you want to run a closed end lug nut, you also need to be concerned with internal thread depth on the lugs, so that they don't bottom out because of the bullet or pilot end of the stud. Ideally you measure everything on the vehicle to confirm, so that you know it's safe.

ITGUY and I also talked about how lug nuts (or locks) aren't very common for stud conversions. That's 100% true and outside of some very specific stud conversions like RacingLine who does studs and open end tuner style lugs with the correct R13 ball seat. That ball seat spec is unique to a bolt, not a lug nut, so making a variety of styles, finishes, locks with various combinations for security, etc. of lug nuts would be quite the undertaking. These are parts that are cold forged, require tooling to develop, and production runs of 2-5000 pieces from most suppliers.

That said, a lot of people will look to conversion washers. All I can say is check your lug torque frequently, confirm you have good thread engagement since the washers will space the lugs out somewhat, and maybe keep some spare washers around in case they go missing.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
if a squirrel stole my lock key what's the best way to get it back?

Depends on the company that made the locks haha. Also, what are you feeding those squirrels???

For Gorilla locks, every lock set includes a silver sticker with a key registration number on it. That number tells us what components were packaged in the set before it was sealed up, and we can determine a replacement key from that.

If you don't have that number for some reason (threw it away, shop never gave it to you, squirrel stole it) we first confirm the product you have with a picture, so we don't waste time beyond that. It's really common for people to assume what brand product they have, or to have had a few sets of wheels and locks have been changed, but you have a receipt that shows one brand so you go with it.

Then we ask for something physical to be sent to us for matching, either one lock removed (it's not impossible, if you can't figure out a way, we recommend going to a wheel and tire shop, you aren't the first person they've helped with that) or a silicone mold made of the lock. We've actually had REALLY great luck with a putty called Easy Mold, it cures quick, molds precisely, and doesn't get damaged in transit like clay, wax, etc. Believe me, I've seen all sorts of weird molds.

Then we make a match, sell you a key and get you a replacement sticker so that you hopefully don't have to do that again. Pretty easy, but something that you can EASILY avoid.

Keep any information that comes with the lock set.

Order a spare key as soon as you get the set, keep it at home in your tool box where you know it is going to be.

Remove any information from your vehicle of previous lock sets once you replace them, don't get them confused. This is extra important when something is lost and you need to order a key.

If you sell your vehicle, include all of this stuff with the sale. I can't tell you how many people either look for sympathy because "they didn't install them!" or are just completely caught off guard because they bought a car with locks and didn't know.

Locks are cheap insurance. If a thief has the tools and time, they'll get your wheels, but locks DO slow them down (InB4 youtube videos and stories of how easily you've removed locks before). Just don't make your life difficult because you threw everything out or disregarded the meaning of the word "lock".

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Depends on the company that made the locks haha. Also, what are you feeding those squirrels???

For Gorilla locks, every lock set includes a silver sticker with a key registration number on it. That number tells us what components were packaged in the set before it was sealed up, and we can determine a replacement key from that.

If you don't have that number for some reason (threw it away, shop never gave it to you, squirrel stole it) we first confirm the product you have with a picture, so we don't waste time beyond that. It's really common for people to assume what brand product they have, or to have had a few sets of wheels and locks have been changed, but you have a receipt that shows one brand so you go with it.

Then we ask for something physical to be sent to us for matching, either one lock removed (it's not impossible, if you can't figure out a way, we recommend going to a wheel and tire shop, you aren't the first person they've helped with that) or a silicone mold made of the lock. We've actually had REALLY great luck with a putty called Easy Mold, it cures quick, molds precisely, and doesn't get damaged in transit like clay, wax, etc. Believe me, I've seen all sorts of weird molds.

Then we make a match, sell you a key and get you a replacement sticker so that you hopefully don't have to do that again. Pretty easy, but something that you can EASILY avoid.

Keep any information that comes with the lock set.

Order a spare key as soon as you get the set, keep it at home in your tool box where you know it is going to be.

Remove any information from your vehicle of previous lock sets once you replace them, don't get them confused. This is extra important when something is lost and you need to order a key.

If you sell your vehicle, include all of this stuff with the sale. I can't tell you how many people either look for sympathy because "they didn't install them!" or are just completely caught off guard because they bought a car with locks and didn't know.

Locks are cheap insurance. If a thief has the tools and time, they'll get your wheels, but locks DO slow them down (InB4 youtube videos and stories of how easily you've removed locks before). Just don't make your life difficult because you threw everything out or disregarded the meaning of the word "lock".

LOL, i was just kidding.
i was hoping there would be a nut joke in there somewhere

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
LOL, i was just kidding.
i was hoping there would be a nut joke in there somewhere

People have made jokes about my nuts for so long now that I don't even look for the jokes anymore, and I love a corny (or nutty) joke. So jaded :(

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Upgrading to some 18x9 Konig Rennform's

Is there any benefit to McGard Lug Bolts or are all lug bolts created equal? If not, what do you recommend?

Also Konig recommends tuner style lug bolts. Are they truly required? Read a lot of reviews of people stripping keys.

I know I need cone bolts but with no spacers, will 28mm be fine?

Finally, they are 66.56 hub size, but are 66.6 and 66.56 hub rings interchangeable?

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion