GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I buy the wife a Tiguan?

PureWhiteAutobahn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking at the Hyundai Sante Fe Sport as well. Some nice fully loaded used 2013's out there still inside their warranty.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

New MQB Tiguan will be out this summer...judging by every other MQB car I have driven, probably worth the wait.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'm looking at somewhere in the ball park for $21.5k for a 4-Motion Sport w heated leather seats (no HID's Sunroof Nav or Fogs) or $23k for the Wolfsburg which I believe has all those options.

I think you have that backwards.
The Sport is the nicer/more expensive model...it has leather, roof, HID's, body kit, navigation, 18's, etc.

The Wolfsburg just adds some different wheels & a pano roof & the Wolfsburg badge over the base S. (no HID's or fogs for example)

I love my Tiguan. Solid build quality/materials, and insurance is pretty cheap on it.

BUT downsides:
-Takes premium
-Crappy gas mileage in the city (under 20)....mid to maybe high 20's on the freeway
-Not much room in the trunk, unless you fold down the rear seats
-Auto trans isn't the best pairing with the 2.0t (no DSG here)

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes

themagicpacket

Passed Driver's Ed
I would definitely wait for the MQB Tiguan. I had a 2016 Tiguan as a rental and it felt dated and sluggish. We wanted an Audi Q3 but it was based off the PQ35 platform as the MK6 and current Jetta and Tiguan. That was a deal breaker for us so we went with the new BMW X1. Be patient and don't rush. Good luck!

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
FWIW I bought a 2015 Tiguan R-Line for the wife and I consider it one of my biggest mistakes. We go back and forth about selling it every month or so. We loved it for the first few months, but than after the constant dealer visits for issues and the lack of space we started to dislike it. Finally the fixed the car and have not been back to the dealer in almost a year but the lack of space still bugs, we have 2 kids (2yr/6m) and we can't fit all the stuff we need for them in that tiny trunk. The MX-5 was nice little bigger trunk, and I wanted it but the wife didn't want to learn a new informat system.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I think you're crazy if you buy the current gen Tiguan when the new MQB generation will be hitting lots in 2017, with more advanced/efficient/reliable engines.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Alltrak? Why not consider one? More room than the dinky-ass Tiguans plus the current-gen Tiguan's are going to depreciate horrifically when the new gen one comes out in 6 months so unless you are buying one for under $18k its not a great value IMO.

CX-3 is incredibly small inside and a completely pointless car. The Mazda3 hatch has more interior room and can be had for a similar price but for that kind of money you can get a 4-motion Sportwagen

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Alltrak? Why not consider one? More room than the dinky-ass Tiguans plus the current-gen Tiguan's are going to depreciate horrifically when the new gen one comes out in 6 months so unless you are buying one for under $18k its not a great value IMO.

CX-3 is incredibly small inside and a completely pointless car. The Mazda3 hatch has more interior room and can be had for a similar price but for that kind of money you can get a 4-motion Sportwagen

X2

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
More boring box...

:confused:

New MQB Tiguan will be out this summer...judging by every other MQB car I have driven, probably worth the wait.

O.M.G! We think its time for VW designers to get out of the 1980's design classes and get busy on something that is more fitting for our time. This thing above looks WAY worse that a 2005 GMC Acadia (and the Acadia still looks better than this today). My Lord! The words "boring", "stodgy", "More boxy than a 1970's Volvo"....uggh.

Did a great thing with the Mk7...but think about this for a moment...the Mk7 is really a mild redesign on the corners of a Mk6 which is a mild redesign of the corners from the mk5 etc., etc.....so not a whole lot of opportunity to mess up a naturally good design from years gone by. OK then.

We looked around, and did consider the new Tiguan (still boringly boxy, especially that horrid and hideous front grill on the 18's), I was hoping for something modern, instead BOXY and UGLIER than the 16's.

Gave up!

Enter....Mazada CX-9. Just bought one, Signature Series. i-Active AWD, so many safety features, HUD, Bose stereo, fast 2.5L turbo.....Smooth, quiet, AWESOME in everyway. Sorry VW...you need to get ahead of the times, not lag behind!:rolleyes:

EDIT: PS...this thing ^^^^^^looks like something from the hertz car rental lot at Heathrow airport. Woah!