GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a jack that plugs with a cable that plugs into the cigarette outlet and I just push a button and it raises the car. It cost $100 and I've had it so long I don't remember where I bought it. At the same time I purchased an impact wrench that also plugs into the cigarette outlet.

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Just because we’re on the subject....I used my brothers the other day to install my catback lol. In my opinion it’s not a bad investment. But if i personally had my own garage and owned them, I would probably consider digging a hole in the ground so they are flush with the floor rather than sitting out above ground. They definitely made the transition pretty smooth even though i can’t see myself spending that much money on them. Traditional jack stands get the job done.

(Side note, he ordered it from Costco also and somehow they screwed up and sent him a third lift lmao (he can probably sell it but he’s just going to hold onto it in the event one of his fails)

-Martin

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I have a jack that plugs with a cable that plugs into the cigarette outlet and I just push a button and it raises the car. It cost $100 and I've had it so long I don't remember where I bought it. At the same time I purchased an impact wrench that also plugs into the cigarette outlet.

This one?
Impact wrench looks rinky dinky.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Just because we’re on the subject....I used my brothers the other day to install my catback lol. In my opinion it’s not a bad investment. But if i personally had my own garage and owned them, I would probably consider digging a hole in the ground so they are flush with the floor rather than sitting out above ground. They definitely made the transition pretty smooth even though i can’t see myself spending that much money on them. Traditional jack stands get the job done.

(Side note, he ordered it from Costco also and somehow they screwed up and sent him a third lift lmao (he can probably sell it but he’s just going to hold onto it in the event one of his fails)

-Martin

I just used my RaceRamps to do the catback on my Golf-R a couple of weeks ago. As you noted, those mini lifts are nice but it's clumsy. Especially during all the days when they are not used.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

-Martin

Putting them in the floor won’t work since you can’t drive over them. They’re not ideal, but holding me over well till I have room for a two post lift.

I've been looking at that thing for a while now. How safe is it? As in, how good is the mechanical safety?

They’re solid. You lift up past the lock then drop down onto it like a kick stand kind of. I regularly have people getting in and out of the car with it on the lift and it doesn’t move a bit.

For installations the extra couple of inches vs jackstands and the extra stability are really nice. The only downside is it’s still really not enough room for fabrication work, hence why I’ll eventually go to a full height two post lift, but for a normal weekend racer or enthusiast it’s great

Rollback50k1

Ready to race!
Putting them in the floor won’t work since you can’t drive over them. They’re not ideal, but holding me over well till I have room for a two post lift.

They’re solid. You lift up past the lock then drop down onto it like a kick stand kind of. I regularly have people getting in and out of the car with it on the lift and it doesn’t move a bit.

For installations the extra couple of inches vs jackstands and the extra stability are really nice. The only downside is it’s still really not enough room for fabrication work, hence why I’ll eventually go to a full height two post lift, but for a normal weekend racer or enthusiast it’s great

It can hold the weight of the car up safely.....yet you can’t drive over them? I’m taking back my thought about having them imbedded into the ground for the simple fact that you’ll just end up reducing more clearance making them almost pointless if you plan to slide under the car but can you explain why you it can hold the weight of the car but not support driving over them?

I just found it a bit time consuming sliding them around. As mentioned before though, I did like using them but I would still go for traditional jack and jack stands (maybe it just comes to personal preference).

Imo a small 2 post setup would probably be more ideal and run roughly the same amount.

-Martin