GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, it's cool that VW made the blower removable without tools. Given the short life of my blower, I'm inclined to wonder if they made it easy because they fail often. HAHA! I'll get something published this weekend. I'm telling you that ANY able-bodied person can do this job. The toughest part is the contortion act to reach the blower.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, it's cool that VW made the blower removable without tools. Given the short life of my blower, I'm inclined to wonder if they made it easy because they fail often. HAHA! I'll get something published this weekend. I'm telling you that ANY able-bodied person can do this job. The toughest part is the contortion act to reach the blower.

Haven't even begun to look at GTI blower, but on Saab the cabin filter housing was held in by compression clips against firewall, with foam. Well the foam would deteriorate and water would get in and run down into the motor, corroding it. Also commonly took out the motor fan speed controller. Labor plus parts on those 2 items would almost be a grand and 100% guaranteed to happen due to poor design!! Simple fix was to caulk housing to wirewall to prevent water intrusion but often was too late for most people....

Be interested to see if the failure was due to water intrusion/design issue. How much is the blower $$$?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Replaced the blower motor in my 2017 GTI. It's out of warranty (71,000 miles). It was a small challenge since I went at it blind. But the job is a cinch if you know what to expect. VW did a great job of making the fan easy to remove without a single tool. I'll put a write-up in the DIY section. I also shot some video and will attempt to upload something this weekend.

Looking forward to this. Did you have to remove the entire glovebox assembly (requiring removal of the center console) or were you able to just remove the glovebox door? Or did you not have to remove either?

condi

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally changed abs pump (AA to AB variant) to get Park Assist 2.0 ==> 3.0 working.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Finally changed abs pump (AA to AB variant) to get Park Assist 2.0 ==> 3.0 working.

What’s the difference between 2.0 and 3.0?

nype

Drag Racing Champion

condi

Passed Driver's Ed
What’s the difference between 2.0 and 3.0?

Code:
Park Assist Gen 3 in 2014 introduced forward parking into bay parking spaces, with 35 cm (13.8 inches) clearance required left and right. Parking space detection occurred up at speeds up to 40 km/h (25 mph).
In addition, Park Assist 3.0 can automatically brake before an obstacle in critical situations to prevent damage or at least minimize it. The basic functions of the park steering assistant were also further improved by the use of a new feature that is known as a surroundings map. By determining the precise positions of all four wheels, the vehicle can be parked precisely on the curb.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Finally installed my R600 intake along with a fresh new GFB Bov DV conversion (replacement of piston and stock spring with BOV/DV unit), and ECS front custom air scoops. Quite a bit of swearing and finagling especially after fitting the BOV as it extends the DV out far enough that it was JUST barely touching my ECS intake piping and the inlet pipe needed just a tiny amount to screw back on completely and allow the top hex screw to make contact. So finally I carefully dremelled the outside corner of the DV where it was touching and shaved just enough down that I was able to get the inlet pipe on tight.

I will say the R600 is a very nice intake for the money, only thing is I wish the filter was an oil-free one as I've always gone for oil free in the past but didn't really realize it was an oiled filter till I got it and there doesn't seem to be a swapout as the filter surround is specific to this intake. Otherwise everything mated up, the work near the turbo is just a bitch as it's right in the back center area where it's kinda tough to be working and you can't get leverage trying to screw and unscrew this and that..

BOV sound is perfect, no chirpy bullshit like I've heard from others like the SSQV's, torque pickup feels faster and stronger and def a significant drop in turbo lag and spool time, I feel like the GFB bov/dv should be on the list for necessary mods for this car, it just makes sense not to have the solenoid wide open at any point in the throttle stop or go. I'm sure at 30 degrees outside temp I won't notice much difference from the intake and scoops but in the warmer months I will for sure, more much consistent cool air going straight through the filter into the turbo, another reason I liked the R600 is it's custom enclosed front intake fascia :)

I also got a silicone turbo out coupler, however to my dismay it was a great deal shorter than the stock one so that was a bust. It was funny cuz that things such a pain in the ass to remove with the charge pipe in the way, when I finally got it out I threw it across the garage..then went and got it after =P Simply removed the shitty stock dug in clamps from it and installed the new ones from ECS, also not only was it shorter but also not bent up enough of an angle to mate up with the charge pipe so it still would've been an awkward fit, got a refund on their coupler after I reported it so good deal I guess

Attachments

• IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
^that looks great Z

This was my tinkering while watching 1982 Tron last night

w124_karl

Ready to race!
I've spent the last several days detailing mine, mostly an hour or two at a time.

I'm terribly out of practice with my rotary polisher but a most of the factory- and dealer-installed swirls are gone. What's still there is pretty much impossible to see unless I'm being a big dork with an impossibly bright light and my face inches from the panel.

So today, I took it up to the top level of the parking deck at work. I'm not much of a photographer but it was fun to get my old "not a smartphone" camera out for the first time in years.

IMG_3964 by krshultz, on Flickr

IMG_3939 by krshultz, on Flickr

Tonight, I'm going to a meet for dinner. Haven't met a soul in this group in person.