GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People with Children

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Plan, save, and execute?...Do you do them in that order? I don't have kids, but my plan is buy and then buy until you have to eat ramen for a month.

Jaber

Modero
Plan, save, and execute?...Do you do them in that order? I don't have kids, but my plan is buy and then buy until you have to eat ramen for a month.

Plan: Figure out what you want to do with your car, what mods will help you do said thing (show, go, low) and which ones come first/last.
Save: Save money to buy a mod at a time or enough to buy most of the mods you want to do all at once.
Execute: Buy/Install

Prior to our baby, that was born December 26th 2014. I was only Stage 1, Unitronic Intake and GFB DV+. After we found out my wife was pregnant, I was able to do Unitronic TBE, Stage 2, Winter tires for both cars (GTI & GLI), swapped OEM wheels with a local member for the GLI. After baby was born, was able to buy FMIC, TOP, lowering springs and some misc cosmetics for interior/exterior.

Just have to budget and save, if you get a quarterly bonus or yearly bonus, use that for mod money. If you can trust yourself with credit, there's Paypal credit, 0% interest credit cards that offer cash back. Speaking of cash back, if you have self control, you can use the cash back to help pay for some of the mods. Pay everything with CC and pay it off in full at end of month.

Having a wife who makes equal or more money is also a bonus. Don't have more kids than you can truely afford also helps :D

We also have a dog, who is spoiled and considered a kid. So really we have 1.5 kids :lol:

teebo7

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you still love your kids even though they are the direct result of no more mods?

Love them to death man, it's just a different world now. As they get older it gets easier. Good example, before kids i was out cleaning my car multiple times a week. I'm lucky if i have enough time to do it once a week now! not complaining but i do miss it.

I always tell friends that don't have kids, make sure you're really ready to have kids because everything changes (good and bad) once you have them.

Oh and Twins, twice the work! lol

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
Novmember 29, 2012. Best day of my life. I mod once a year... income tax time lol.....

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
this is why my 37 year old uncle doesn't want a kid at this point so he can spend his money on his 996 911 C2 and track days, he already installed H&R coilovers, BBK, swapping final gears and other stuff (which he ordered some to my house so I can bring em to my home country, as shipping costs just as much as mod itself). He also has a 10 year old Renault diesel beater as he has long commute.

His wife (my aunt) doesn't want a kid either, because she wants to have fun, they may eventually, but who knows.

I just hope I'll have huge disposable income by the time I get married.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
you don't..... We have twins and my car mods have all but stopped.

I don't have twins, but yeah... Pretty much that. Anytime I save money towards modding; it ends up spent on emergency clothes or other needs when one of my kids suddenly sprouts 2 more inches and nothing they own fits anymore... :laugh::(

A year ago I took a chunk of my bonus and planned to do a tune, suspension, and a few other things. 2 days later I had to replace both of their wardrobes from shoes to tops...

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Plan: Figure out what you want to do with your car, what mods will help you do said thing (show, go, low) and which ones come first/last.
Save: Save money to buy a mod at a time or enough to buy most of the mods you want to do all at once.
Execute: Buy/Install

Prior to our baby, that was born December 26th 2014. I was only Stage 1, Unitronic Intake and GFB DV+. After we found out my wife was pregnant, I was able to do Unitronic TBE, Stage 2, Winter tires for both cars (GTI & GLI), swapped OEM wheels with a local member for the GLI. After baby was born, was able to buy FMIC, TOP, lowering springs and some misc cosmetics for interior/exterior.

Just have to budget and save, if you get a quarterly bonus or yearly bonus, use that for mod money. If you can trust yourself with credit, there's Paypal credit, 0% interest credit cards that offer cash back. Speaking of cash back, if you have self control, you can use the cash back to help pay for some of the mods. Pay everything with CC and pay it off in full at end of month.

Having a wife who makes equal or more money is also a bonus. Don't have more kids than you can truely afford also helps :D

We also have a dog, who is spoiled and considered a kid. So really we have 1.5 kids :lol:

I was kind of joking, but this is some good advice. I'm not bad with money, but I am not frugal my any means.

I believe I'm going to get a paypal credit card actually. I bought a treadmill in march,dicks credit card, and will be paying it off in the next couple of weeks. I will have about $15 dollars in interest that will have accrued, but I saved %10 opening the card up. I basically saved on having to pay for tax,%7, and the interest payed by the end of payoff will not go over the %3 I still have left over from opening the account. Plus I got $50 dollars of store credit which I used to buy something else I wanted there. A win win in my eyes. But yea. I'm going to save money back each month while I buy shit on my credit card. I will plan out a monthly balance I need to pay to pay off within a favorable time for me, but also be saving money just in case I need to pay it off sooner, or some shit comes up.

I also have 4 fur babies that are just as spoiled as real children, so that never helps the pocket book.