GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4th Gen Miata/MX-5

outshined

Go Kart Champion
Even more fish face than the Fiesta ST. And that's saying something. Perhaps there will be a limited run Rapala edition.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I like it, the thing looks rad. Agree with GunKata, it's got a bit of Alfa in its look. Some people on TheCarLounge are saying F-type, which I guess can be seen in the tail lights.

Apparently its going to have a SkyActiv 4-cyl, so I'd expect the 2.0 from the Mazda3 to make an appearance. Possibly with a different cam profile to let it rev more freely and make more power. Put about 170-200 HP in this thing and it would be quite fun.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Also just realized this, but the badging on the rear says "Roadster" and not "MX-5"

Merkle

Banned
More pics:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=553421

The gauge cluster looks really nice, tach front and center.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Nice looking car. Well done Mazda. Happy to get a test of that!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Also, if Mazda can put out a 2200 lb USA legal car then I have to call BS on grambles whining that rules make it impossible for Honda to make anything lightweight.

Zoom zoom, motherfuckers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bender1

Banned
Mazda claims that it is over 100kg lighter.

If they really put out a 2200 lb 175 hp miata then it is going to be ridiculously awesome.

Amen. That engine makes 150 in other platforms, which would be a touch under powered. At 175 ish, it will eat BRZ/FRS for breakfast all day every day.

Neat car!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Amen. That engine makes 150 in other platforms, which would be a touch under powered. At 175 ish, it will eat BRZ/FRS for breakfast all day every day.

Neat car!

Yeah it is rated at 155 hp in the 3 and tested at 7.8s 0-60 with a 16.1 1/4-mile, all in a car that's 600 lbs heavier, tuned down for 87 octane, and with a big goofy designed-for-mpg's exhaust manifold and super long gearing.

This should be the first Miata that's actually pretty fast from the factory.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The Truth About Cars said:
the new car, dubbed ND, should weigh an incredible 2280 lbs. It will also be 154 inches in length, 4 inches shorter than the current car.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/09/2016-mazda-mx-5-live-shots-technical-details/#

Autoblog said:
Despite being a smaller overall car footprint-wise, officials say the NC's headroom and overall interior overall have been maintained.
Cutaway powertrain diagrams reveal that the new car is in fact a front mid-engined design, with the entire block in between the axles. That's typically great for weight distribution, less so for interior space. Still, it's the proper tradeoff for this type of car.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/04/2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-firsthand-impressions-photos/

4 inches shorter and "maintained" interior space... doubt I'll be able to drive this one. :(

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

Looks like the length change is mostly in the shorter front overhang, wheelbase is only 15mm shorter. I'm thinking they moved the whole cabin back to move the engine back, leaving passenger space about the same and probably making the trunk a lot smaller.

Front-mid engine, it's like a baby Corvette!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Even if it only has 150bhp, weighing only 2200lb will be decently powerful....

Miata will never be a "fast" car, but I am sure it'll still be fun...