GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Totaled car, Rental ending, MK7's not out yet - What can I do?

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
The pricing on those is all over the place... i don't know what fair value is.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=535413

Yea they can be all over the place. If I got one it would not be my DD, and I like to wrench so mechanical issues would not steer me away from a straight body and interior. I would buy one in the sub $2500 range but that is me. I am coming from the project car view, not I need a car right now to drive (which you do). I would also look into an E30 like above. But again, you will probably fall in love with an E30 :laugh:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I would resist buying the first year MK7...Depending on how much you drive...go to a leasing broker and ask for the best monthly deals. Get a 2 year lease on something cheap

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
There are so many beaters I'd go for. Miata, WRX/STI (bugeye or even older)... The options are endless. YOLO - which old car would you be most upset to have not driven when you're old and get your license taken away from you?

Edit: gonna keep listing cars as I think of them.

Saab 9-5 T
Hyundai Tuburon (becauseV6? idk..)
Ferd contour SVT
Protege 5
Eclipse GSX
7th gen civic si

V6 turibons are like 180 ish hp, prob 7.8 secs to 60, can be dealeble for couple months

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
but the V6 tiburon is the precursor to the veloster turbo. Just look at their forums.. it's the same thing

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
In my personal view if this had happen to me and I went out and bought another mk6 I would hate myself after 6 months. Maybe your not the same way but I hate having old outdated stuff especially if I bought something and even a year later the new one comes out. With that said buy an old miata or 944 then after you get the mk7 either sell the other car or keep it as a project/track car. Again that is just me though do what you think you would be happy with.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I just checked the Central NJ Craigslist. You have your choice of a lot of cars under 4k.

That's what I would do. I would hate to buy a new Mk6 right now...

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I think I want to stay away from first year MK7's. It's a brand new everything for vw:
MQB Platform
EA888 Motor/Turbo
Mexico Plant

That's way too many variables.

Also, aftermarket parts will be scarce and expensive for the MK7s.

I would love to have the latest tech/buzz, but I feel like my dollar would go further with another MK6. Just me being practical.