GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Totaled car, Rental ending, MK7's not out yet - What can I do?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm on my second mk6 and dont regret it at all. Bought my gti in June 2011, made 286whp and racked up 43k miles. Sold it, bought a 2013 TDI golf four door in September 2013 and it has almost 12k on it already. I drove beaters in between and honestly with as long of a wait youre looking at for the mk7 id look for a used mk6 R four door if my current car was totalled.

If youre getting a second mk6 might as well change it up. Plus even in June of '11 mods were just coming out for my gti...figure on 2016 before you can do full bolt ons for a mk7

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I'm on my second mk6 and dont regret it at all. Bought my gti in June 2011, made 286whp and racked up 43k miles. Sold it, bought a 2013 TDI golf four door in September 2013 and it has almost 12k on it already. I drove beaters in between and honestly with as long of a wait youre looking at for the mk7 id look for a used mk6 R four door if my current car was totalled.

If youre getting a second mk6 might as well change it up. Plus even in June of '11 mods were just coming out for my gti...figure on 2016 before you can do full bolt ons for a mk7

Would totally work if the mk6 Rs were dsg in the states.

Plus they are pricey

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ah yeah, I forgot you had DSG. Ive been eyeing them up, and the go as low as mid 20's now.

Did you get to pull the mods off your old car?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I think I want to stay away from first year MK7's. It's a brand new everything for vw:
MQB Platform
EA888 Motor/Turbo
Mexico Plant

That's way too many variables.

Also, aftermarket parts will be scarce and expensive for the MK7s.

I would love to have the latest tech/buzz, but I feel like my dollar would go further with another MK6. Just me being practical.

The oil pan of it is made of plastic iirc from some thread here, mk6 makes more sense vs mk7, i was considering mk7 and when i sat in one overseas and in auto show i was meh, great looking cars, but kinda silly despite the lsd w perf pack. Mk6s are proven reliable '13-'14 models, so its a no brainer

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I can't fathom the oil pan is plastic. It may be a plastic cover like some bimmers have, but I doubt it's plastic...

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
miata
restore it over summer.
buy mk7
turn miata into track car.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
2015 wrx cvt? they're out now, some who have preorderd already have theirs

Oh yeah?? Hm... how can i find out more?? I want to test drive one...

I think I may be getting another mk6... I'm actually for it since mods are cheap and plentiful, good bang for the buck on buying (compared to other used cars in this range), and well... I can't find something else i like.

dtraill27

Go Kart Champion
Oh yeah?? Hm... how can i find out more?? I want to test drive one...

you're in north nj so I would check out Ramsey Subaru. They seem to be high volume and manage a thread on clubwrx.net where you can order for $500 under invoice. I think the salesman's name is Cliff or Clint