GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Have you heard any previous rex's with ELH in person?

They actually sound pretty good.

It's not the iconic sound, but a lot of Subaru guys (well, the ones I waste my time with I.E. not nastysock idiots) fully acknowledge that the rumble is the sound of inefficiency.

Not yet. I'm still reserving judgement until I get hands on with this vehicle. (Outside of a test drive. I'm fortunate enough to get the chance here.)

it sounded tinny in certain loads....but seemingly ok in others.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I think people keep saying that because of the rear fender design. The beltline on the rear fenders is lower/nonexistent, whereas the fronts have the very flared and high look from the outgoing model.

I mean, I see what they're talking about.

But frankly, I don't give two shits. :laugh:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I think people keep saying that because of the rear fender design. The beltline on the rear fenders is lower/nonexistent, whereas the fronts have the very flared and high look from the outgoing model.

That's it! They've raised the trunk and there's no beltline. Man I hope their mid-generation refresh is a wide-body edition (wider than they've already made it :iono:) to get that beltline back.

Sounds like. That review though...I felt like I was watching propaganda. I'm sure it's a really capable car, but the guy is pretty much jizzing his pants and indirectly directly comparing it to a 911. Is it that good!? I'll believe that when I see it.

Well the guy was drawing on the engineers' own targets to meet the 911's handling characteristics. Which is another matter in itself (rear engine RWD vs front engine AWD??), but I agree he did seem pretty out there. Looking at his past videos he covers motorsports much more often than street cars, so he may just not have much to compare it to. We'll have to wait for the inevitable 911/WRX comparos :lol:

......that exhaust sound. :(

^this

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
That's it! They've raised the trunk and there's no beltline. Man I hope their mid-generation refresh is a wide-body edition (wider than they've already made it :iono:) to get that beltline back.

Well the guy was drawing on the engineers' own targets to meet the 911's handling characteristics. Which is another matter in itself (rear engine RWD vs front engine AWD??), but I agree he did seem pretty out there. Looking at his past videos he covers motorsports much more often than street cars, so he may just not have much to compare it to. We'll have to wait for the inevitable 911/WRX comparos :lol:

^this

Yeah, the beltline issue is why I think it looks like two different cars spliced together. Oh well, if the performance is there, people will buy it in droves. They'd buy it in slightly smaller droves even if the performance wasn't quite up to snuff anyways.

911/WRX comparos...as I live and breathe...

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
Not yet. I'm still reserving judgement until I get hands on with this vehicle. (Outside of a test drive. I'm fortunate enough to get the chance here.)

I had 2005 Legacy GT with a twinscroll and ELH's. It sounded mean. I'll try and find the video.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion

I had 2005 Legacy GT with a twinscroll and ELH's. It sounded mean. I'll try and find the video.

The sounds in that video are some of the worst I've ever heard come from a car. But WRXs have always sounded pretty awesome in real life in my experience so I won't pass judgement yet.

I've heard the 2.5 EJ series with ELH on a few cars, and in person it sounds pretty good and mean, somewhat porsche-esque (no surprise.) Online videos I've watched...not so much.

So, we'll see, this is a slightly smaller engine. I would think it wouldn't sound too different from the toyobaru.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, the resemblance of 21st century silver 4dr cars having red taillights, quad exhausts, and aerodynamic design of which channels air around the rear of the vehicle, is strikingly uncanny.................................

I wasn't that terribly interested in the car since it's a sedan, but the more I read, the more I like it.

I also really like that they went with 17s instead of 18s, despite what you guys claim about the econobox rear proportions and the rear wheels looking small.

AWD, snickety-snick 6-speed gearbox, POWAHHH, and it's not obnoxious looking. Just wish it was a hatch, but I could probably get over that.

all of dat^ ... i'm fine with 17"s, for a few reasons, but yeah.

thanks, will watch today.

I had a 02 bugeye in silver back in 2001. Would be cool to get another one 13 years later. Looks pretty good in silver.

nice. and agreed, silver is looking good.

oh fuck.. i didnt know it was THAT good.. on my list for 2015.

only thing that was strange is a 6 second 0-60 with the automatic? i thought the old wrx did 4.7 to 60. wonder what the manual can do..

yep, they released the info saying the CVT would do around 6seconsds, the MT around 5.4 - from subaru.. yet to see a review with a real world 0-60 yet. But... similar to the Evo X, it got slower in a straight line by a tad, but much quicker around corners. If I had to choose, I will accept the latter via the sacrifice of the former.

......that exhaust sound. :(

hmm.. now i really need to listen. usually they are quiet stock and puny.. need's at least a CBE to open dat boxer.

DIS ALL DA WAY, MON^

ORLY?

find vid!!!

The sounds in that video are some of the worst I've ever heard come from a car. But WRXs have always sounded pretty awesome in real life in my experience so I won't pass judgement yet.

:thumbsup:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
frankly im shocked by how subaru managed to put so much aggressive styling to the car but still somehow made it look bland. you look at the extreme fender flares, huge rear diffuser, exhaust, spoiler, hood scoop, front sweeping grill and somehow yet, its corolla-esk. i get styling vs function but will this trend of making cars absolutely larger and larger as the years go by ever stop?

Manufacturers express to the public, 50 more hp much faster...(small words at bottom of the screen, starting at $5,000 more and 400 lbs more). Crazy idea but id really like to see a car manufacturer release a throwback limited edition series. Supra body, with the aftermarket body mods tuners would do from the factory..fix all the old problems, bring back the old engine with some revised interior at a good price point. You got me sold. "Supra 20th Anniversary" .

New civics are larger than the old accords...its really getting out of hand. 10 years from now a mini cooper is gonna be the size of a ford expedition

ivory lovin

Passed Driver's Ed
Indeed, the resemblance of 21st century silver 4dr cars having red taillights, quad exhausts, and aerodynamic design of which channels air around the rear of the vehicle, is strikingly uncanny.................................

I've owned two sti's and while they certainly wouldn't be considered lookers, they looked infinitely better than this new "21st Century" design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've owned two STI's (GD and GR) and a WRX, and an Evo ;)

And yes, while this design isn't great, the overall car sounds like it might just be.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I can deal with the design if the rest of the car is that damned good.

It's not like it looks like an Aztek or something.