GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DWB - Driving while being Black?

Was this a clear case of prejudice?

• Yes. Cop (even though he was Hispanic) was being racist

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No. This happens to everyone...ok, well...a lot.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Working in a 911 center -- sounds like a pretty typical traffic stop to me. Probably stopped you to check to make sure the temp tag was still valid. When everything checked out -- he let ya go.

I got pulled over once for "not having my blinker on long enough before changing lanes". That cop was a douchebag...

A turn signal is meant to signal turning. Lane changing was an adapted alternate use, but it is not required by most state laws to use when changing lanes. It's more of a courtesy you're extending to other drivers. Hence the name "Turn signal" and not "direction of movement signal."

Sure hope you weren't ticketed for that offense. If it were me, I would've asked the officer to produce the state statute that cited that a "turn signal" needed to be on for such and such amount of time. Otherwise, I would've been asked if I was being detained for said offense, or if I was free to go.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
A turn signal is meant to signal turning. Lane changing was an adapted alternate use, but it is not required by most state laws to use when changing lanes. It's more of a courtesy you're extending to other drivers. Hence the name "Turn signal" and not "direction of movement signal."

Sure hope you weren't ticketed for that offense. If it were me, I would've asked the officer to produce the state statute that cited that a "turn signal" needed to be on for such and such amount of time. Otherwise, I would've been asked if I was being detained for said offense, or if I was free to go.

Yeah he just took my license and insurance back to his car and ran me I suppose, then came back and told me I was free to go. Then I called him a douchebag to his face and rolled up my window lol. Probably not the smartest move on my part but eh...

McQueen77

Banned
LAPD are brutal and ive been pulled over for all kinds of seemingly unjust reaons. Driving while black? Are you really pulling that card? Youre driving on Fig in LA man, not in Kansas...

Last edited:

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
LAPD are brutal and ive been pulled over for all kinds of seemingly unjust reaons. Driving while black? Are you really pulling that card? Youre driving on Fig in LA man, not in Kansas...

so that means, yes, you were pulled over for having paper plates on a new car, i assume. otherwise you are answering a question that was not asked.

i also don't appreciate you calling it a card. if you are victim of prejudice, there is no card--you either call it what it is, or suffer in silence. Rosa Parks did not pull the race card, she decided one day that she was no longer going to sit quietly and accept the way that things were.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Ok this is very tricky! Profiled or looked suspicious? Is there really a difference? I really don't think so. Car load of kids driving what most would classify as a pretty expensive automobile, temp tag, polictally outspoken bumper stickers.

Time and place and all of the above obviously made the Police Officer suspicious. If I am not mistaken most temp tags can't be run on the Officer's computer because the info doesn't get imputed fast enough. A quick check and a Thank you.

Well, I applaud this Police Officer for at least being proactive looking for bad guys, rather then hiding under a tree or sipping coffee with his buds at Double D's or 711. Honestly I don't think it would have been any different if it was car load of white kids.

I am not saying that driving while black does not occurr because it has been proven it does. But in this case I would have to say no racial profiling occurred.

the kids in the car were all Asian. they all thought the cop was racist, they were offended, talked about it for the remainder of the night, and are a bit traumatized for being singled out in a very WASP-ie part of Fig (near the row).
i don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder and don't assume everyone is out to get me, but... in general, the truth of the matter is that if it feels racist, it probably is. i also don't think the officer felt very comfortable after the experience, it seemed that way when he left. it's entirely possible that he felt bad about pulling me over as he would feel humiliated in that situation too--especially for such a lame reason.

McQueen77

Banned
so that means, yes, you were pulled over for having paper plates on a new car, i assume. otherwise you are answering a question that was not asked.

i also don't appreciate you calling it a card. if you are victim of prejudice, there is no card--you either call it what it is, or suffer in silence. Rosa Parks did not pull the race card, she decided one day that she was no longer going to sit quietly and accept the way that things were.

sorry if you dont appreciate it but you're making something out of nothing. you're pulling the card because the title of your thread is driving while black and nothing in the description of your incident hints at anything being racially motivated beyond your own paranoia. was anything racial mentioned or hinted at by the police officer?

ive been pulled over for texting when i wasn't texting, simply because the phone was in the center console using bluetooth (it was night and they 'saw the glare of my phone'), pulled over for 'not wearing a seatbelt' when i was wearing a seatbelt, all kinds of stupid things that are on par with what you were pulled over for. my wife was pulled over near the police academy in chinatown for a supposed busted tail light. guess what, it wasn't broken and when she argued with them they wrote her a fix it ticket. quotas dude, quotas. maybe she was being pulled over for being a white woman in chinatown? one of the times i mentioned i was pulled over by a black officer and female white officer, the other, two hispanic officers. maybe i was driving while white? oh but thats not possible right? because i'm white so ive got it made and would never, ever suffer unjust harassment from police officers? is that what you are saying?

your friends sound paranoid too and like SO many people in this day & age, in a big hurry to be 'offended'. did the cop make any racial slurs? was anything whatsoever said that would hint at racism? anything? you support your argument with zero evidence whatsoever. everything you mention in your OP sounds 100% circumstantial and suddenly you are a 'victim of prejudice'?!!! god help us.

i think you are racist. thats right, turning it around on you pal. if the exact situation would have happened that you describe, but the officer was black, would you still be a 'victim of prejudice'? what if the cop was asian? what then? or what, that would never happen because they've got your back? is that it? or is it that you are making a huge assumption that hispanic people are racist against black and asian people? do explain, counselor.

we're all ears.

Last edited:

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
I know DWB happens but if this guy was behind you then pulled you over how did he see your race?

we had the windows down. he could see my face reflected in the side views or perhaps profiled me when i was driving in another lane, or when i made a turn....

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
You are suggesting the hispanic cop is racist and targeted you because you were hispanic? :iono:

Most likely he thought the temporary plates had expired. The magnets which he believed to be more permanent stickers suggested to him that the car didn't just drive off a dealer lot.

Also take into account that the police has stepped up patrols near USC in the wake of a double homicide a few months ago where two students from China were gunned down in their BMW during a botched robbery.

No plates or paper plates are useless for identification by witnesses if something goes down.

I look Black. All of the Hispanics in my family are Black. The cop was a fair-skinned "White" Hispanic.

Hmmm. I will meditate on the rest. I hope that it was only routine. I really hope so.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
sorry if you dont appreciate it but you're making something out of nothing. you're pulling the card because the title of your thread is driving while black and nothing in the description of your incident hints at anything being racially motivated beyond your own paranoia. was anything racial mentioned or hinted at by the police officer?

ive been pulled over for texting when i wasn't texting, simply because the phone was in the center console using bluetooth (it was night and they 'saw the glare of my phone'), pulled over for 'not wearing a seatbelt' when i was wearing a seatbelt, all kinds of stupid things that are on par with what you were pulled over for. my wife was pulled over near the police academy in chinatown for a supposed busted tail light. guess what, it wasn't broken and when she argued with them they wrote her a fix it ticket. quotas dude, quotas. maybe she was being pulled over for being a white woman in chinatown? one of the times i mentioned i was pulled over by a black officer and female white officer, the other, two hispanic officers. maybe i was driving while white?

your friends sound paranoid too and like SO many people in this day & age, in a big hurry to be 'offended'. did the cop make any racial slurs? was anything whatsoever said that would hint at racism? anything? you support your argument with zero evidence whatsoever.

false equivalence. those are all known offenses, and those cops could have been either clueless or just weasels. pulling over people with a shiny new car--weak sauce. the only benefit of the doubt i may give is perhaps a robbery or something had just occurred. in that case, of course.

i'll leave it at that...
it would suck if no such crime had been committed and l was just punked.

McQueen77

Banned
false equivalence. those are all known offenses, and those cops could have been either clueless or just weasels. pulling over people with a shiny new car--weak sauce. the only benefit of the doubt i may give is perhaps a robbery or something had just occurred. in that case, of course.

i'll leave it at that...
it would suck if no such crime had been committed and l was just punked.

yes, you should leave it at that.

being pulled over for 'no seatbelt' while wearing your seatbelt is just as BS or moreso than what you were pulled over for. cops can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whoever they want. but anyway, its just as i thought. you have no evidence to support your accusation and you are paranoid. your friends are too. my argument just destroyed your argument and all you can say is 'pulled over for driving new car equals weak sauce'. so i guess cops should just target people who driver beaters? there you go, pull over the poor only.. they must be up to no good. must be nice to be able to go through life and pull the race card (yes i said it again) for any manner of hardship or inconvenience you experience.

thanks for playing, stay in school and watch our for them racist cops.

/thread