Grams 70mm Throttle Body - Black Series

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I think there are larger OEM throttle bodies that will work

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
But bigger isn't necessarily better. I'm curious if there would be any advantage running a larger TB or would it just add another variable for complication?

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Does IE make a bigger tb?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
They require switching 2 pins the harness, but there are larger OEM TB's

According to their press all wiring is correct with no changes necessary. Not that is makes much difference.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I reached out to them (Grams) for information (on the 70mm TB). They don't answer the phone or least they didn't today. They do have a nice web based support system (nice interface), hopefully there is someone on their end watching and responding.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
you'll see gains across the board, plus you get rid of the fragile plastic plate which isnt wise to use when running high boost. If you upgrade, you will need to tune to compensate for it. Its not for "off the shelf" tunes.

I definitely agree with removing the plastic plate, but do you have any logs / data to suggest the gains across the board? I haven't found anyone that is using an upsized TB that shows anything, mostly placebo style observations.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I definitely agree with removing the plastic plate, but do you have any logs / data to suggest the gains across the board? I haven't found anyone that is using an upsized TB that shows anything, mostly placebo style observations.

I asked a local tuner and they reiterated what I had heard before which is, TB is not a choke point for 2.0l motor. One tuner indicated he had tuned stock TB to 600hp

Bluepower

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock intake and TB will get you to any level of HP, but a bigger TB will show gains in the mid-range.
On big-turbo/high power 1.8t engine it has been proven many times that upgrading to a larger TB, accompanied with remapping, show significant gaines(including my own: went from stock 60mm to 80mm with bigger manifold: gained 28hp and 35ft/lbs with same boost level)

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I dunno anyone in 'Murica that tunes for them.