GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs SI. Sadface.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Sorry I wasn't thinking about late model 5.0's. I was like, since when has a coyote ever been considered a hatch?

My bad.

Youngsters. :rolleyes:

How can you not think of the original 5 point Oh's when you see "5.0" anywhere? The Coyote is a Johnny-come-lately, whereas the Fox is the OG 5.0 (or 4.9, for anyone splitting hairs), firmly entrenched in car culture for anyone 30 and over...which you aren't, so I guess you get a pass, Tyler. :thumbsup:

K03

Ridiculous.
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Anyone remember that E85 full bolt-on SI that was on here a couple years back? Everyone was amazed a n/a civic was rapping s2+ cars. Those civics back a punch.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Anyone remember that E85 full bolt-on SI that was on here a couple years back? Everyone was amazed a n/a civic was rapping s2+ cars. Those civics back a punch.

Yup, sounds familiar. The vs board was a lot more active back then. I gained a lot more respect for Hondas' potential after seeing some stout all motor bolted and tuned civics and RSXs running Stage 2 GTIs on the Mexibahn. They didn't always win, but they held their own really well.

I also remember a lot of haters arguing and being super annoying whenever someone from the Honda camp posted up with any sort of bravado. Shit like that and the bickering in the recent MKV vs. Ego thread is what made the vs board wither and dry up like a 90 year old spinster's vag.

ripped

Go Kart Champion
We'll allot of people got different cars or got newer gtis

ripped

Go Kart Champion

Duster117

Ready to race!
Shit like that and the bickering in the recent MKV vs. Ego thread is what made the vs board wither and dry up like a 90 year old spinster's vag.

Im sorry :frown:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
:wub:

VeeDubbLuV

By the beard of Zeus
Car(s)
09 Tornado Red GTI
Anyways, my brother has an Si and we've pretty much been neck and neck since day 1. I'm K04 and he is supercharged, neck and neck. It just depends which one of us messes up a shift (usually me). Not for long after my switch to DM, hopefully.

Really? I stayed neck and neck with that SI on Erie at stage 2?
I thought you were pulling him like amtrak now? :thumbup:

K03

Ridiculous.
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
His death was quite sad, Its horrible seeing fellow enthusiasts fall like that, and honestly his death taught me a personal lesson. I think at the time I was 17 about to purchase a 750 gixxer, which inevitably would have been the end of me now that i think back about how naive i was, and his crash single handedly made me not buy that bike. RIP DBGTI11

Back on topic with the civics, those k24's are pretty ballsy aswell. Did a high roll with one on the parkway and past 90 he kept up pretty good. Granted at that point i had a bit on him, but i didnt gain anymore either.

kal-el

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Really? I stayed neck and neck with that SI on Erie at stage 2?
I thought you were pulling him like amtrak now? :thumbup:

lol I thought he wasn't S/C at that point? He's getting the aftercooler soon for this spring. Shorter pulley as well.

The dude just flat out drives better than me. Almost wish I had DSG.

3.sl06MT

Stout
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Si's can range from 210-220whp (peak) with different brand mods, and that's not taking into account the midrange differences either. Some bolt on Si's go 14.2 @ 99 while others go 13.7 @ 102. They are not slow cars when *correctly* modded, and can keep up with most S2 GTIs. This shouldn't be a surprise. A lot of Si's have small diameter exhausts, and believe it or not, a 3" exhaust has been the best option for that car. All motor cars are fun because they take a good bit of research/trial and error to make fast. I won't argue turbo cars are awesome, but it's more fulfilling when you have an all motor car making good power because you did your research, IMO.

When OP runs the Si again after a tune, I bet the GTI will pull justtt a bit. A good tune on the Si will gain tons of midrange power and extend the rev limiter another 400 RPM. With a 3" catback and a retune it should be a really close run. Props for posting a loss to an Si on a GTI forum though.

I won't lie though, some Si's are slow, but LOL @ "it takes bolt ons, headwork & cams" to keep up with a S2. Correctly built bolt on/headwork/cammed/weight reduction Si's will give a K04 a run for its money. But of course, that's a totally different argument that is invalid but I can't imagine this thread going anywhere else. :D