GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying Fully Loaded 2006, Good Deal?

Vincent Tran

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I'm looking into buying a GTI! It is an 06 that is fully loaded with maintenance records, a spotless carfax, four previous owners, and 64k miles. Is 12k a good deal? Also, I know I should check for wear on the cam follower. Is there anything else?

Rus.K

PCDT99
Take off the Timing belt cover, its actually a PITA on the 06's since they dont have the window like the rest of the MKV's. I just did mine at 64K a few weedends ago. Looked good just did it for peace of mind.

With that said you will want to replace it within the next 20k miles or less since its a 06 (almost 7 yrs old) or 80k. It will cost you around $900-1000 if you go through the dealer or if your mechanically inclined to do it yourself around $250 (just parts).

12K is on the high end for an stock 06 DSG. So if its CLEAN, good tires, breaks, oil change records, etc, etc then 12k is fair. Just remember that you have that timing belt change ~$1k coming up and a DSG flush ~$400-600. So factor that into your purchase. Good Luck to ya :thumbsup:

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
CPO or private sale? Warranty would be great, i wish i had one! I have a manual but doesnt the mechatronic unit fail at some point on the dsg's?

there's an independent german shop here that does DSG flush & filter w/ VW fluid and filter for $250 out the door.

Which does not sound low if you think about it. $100 in fluids, $30 for filter, and an hour of labor.

Vincent Tran

Passed Driver's Ed
It is a private sale.. so no warranty. Anyway, there is another car that just popped up. Is the gap between the hood and the fender normal? Or has it been in a front end accident?

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
Ill post a hood pic and compare it with that one, i wouldnt, as you have no idea what sort of accident it was.

Have you checked the cars for sale on this site?.. save you some money if you plan on modding it as most come with quite a few

Rus.K

PCDT99
^ That one you posted above looks to be pretty normal. The mKV bumpers dont always sit perfect. You can pull it off with 6 screws and re-adjust if it bugs you enough.

As for Great deals you can find them but they are hard to come by. For reference I bought my 2006 6sp MT BMP back in 2010 w/ 29XXX miles for $14500 out the door. 2006 MKV's typically go for around 10-12k now depending on condition.