GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dreams of an R32

PoRsCh3fReAk

PoRsCh3fReAk
Car(s)
Slutty camry
Hey everyone sorry if i'm in the wrong section here but looking for advice on my first purchase of an R32. I used to work for Mercedes and know those cars well and understand cars, well, do have there pricey flaws. Ive read through so much on here and enjoy the group of VW enthusiast. I have test driven 2 this week and the one i drove today was a bit odd to me. It had 88k on it and also a price of 17,8$ the car felt amazing as the first one i drove, But there was a strange noise. The car shifted and drove fine but on return to the dealer i popped the hood and heard the injectors ticking as for what i have seen and read is normal but there was a rattle from the left hand side of the engine near the throttle body. The noise would go on for a few seconds very faintly and sounded like a tin can rattle but again not as loud as many of the videos online. Idont know if maybe this way the guides just starting to wear out? The car was warmed up and after a ride. I have seen posts about the number of issues with the flywheel and the timing chain. the lady brought out her tech and he said it was normal, ( but from my dealer experience i know the tech isnt going to walk out and say o yeah thats fucked up) none to say the least i walked away from it as i cant see spending money with a hairy engine noise.

Does anyone have any input on if that was a smart or to nervous walk away? 18k isnt worth an engine problem that would appear sooner or later.

ANY input much appreciated. Also what have people purchased these cars used for under the 20k mark and what sort of miles did you get?

CaptainPumpkin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW
Not 100% sure about the tin can rattle on the R32 as I own a GTI but I can tell you my Dual Mass Flywheel was replaced after I heard a similar sound coming from my DSG transmission. It basically sounded like marbles rolling around in a tin can every few seconds.

If you are able to get the car up on a lift somehow it would be the easiest to diagnose that way. You can clearly hear the sound coming from the transmission if it is the flywheel on its way out.

PoRsCh3fReAk

PoRsCh3fReAk
Car(s)
Slutty camry
@ Captain Pumpkin, did the noise start off quietly? This place was almost garunteed not gonna let me think anything was wrong with the car.

@Bhmkv, appreciate the offer but want the R32 I have a short commute to work and cannot think of a more proper car for my needs.

Car(s)
Subaru
Gti is faster than a r32, but r32 sounds better, but the Gti has better interior, but the r32 is awd, but the Gti comes in a manual.... That last one is what changed my mind.

Gti>r32 :)

Sent from my iPhone

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Gti is faster than a r32, but r32 sounds better, but the Gti has better interior, but the r32 is awd, but the Gti comes in a manual.... That last one is what changed my mind.

Gti>r32 :)

Sent from my iPhone

How does the GTI have a better interior?

1fastvdub

Banned

^^This. I lol`d at Spade`s dumb response. OP, the R32`s are great cars and if that is what you want, get it. Definitely ensure there is nothing wrong with the car before you buy it. If you are willing to drive or fly a bit, search other dealers around your area and see what they have and price. I did that and showed my dealer to get a better deal on my Dub. Good luck!

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow

R32 trim pieces look hella ghey, and the outsides of the bolsters are cloth, rubber/plastic dead pedal, etc.

Tensioner/Idler pulleys could be on their way out. That's the only thing that's really an issue on these cars. I bought mine with 110k on the clock and that was the first thing I had to fix. Otherwise, the car's been solid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
R32 trim pieces look hella ghey, and the outsides of the bolsters are cloth, rubber/plastic dead pedal, etc.

Tensioner/Idler pulleys could be on their way out. That's the only thing that's really an issue on these cars. I bought mine with 110k on the clock and that was the first thing I had to fix. Otherwise, the car's been solid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If anyone's opinion of something includes the phrase "hella ghey" it is instantly invalidated. If anything the R32 has a nicer interior, but they are so similar you can't really use that as an advantage of one over the other.

PoRsCh3fReAk

PoRsCh3fReAk
Car(s)
Slutty camry
I've driven so far a few hundred miles looking, I just had a feeling this was something I didn't want to look into, and it was the back side of the engine the tensioner was brand new looked like they tried that avenue first!!

Do you feel a mkV r32 with 57k and a 2yr vw CPO warranty is worthy of 20k? It's got the navi and a few nicks and the rims are not factory as they said the old ones were rough shape, these wheels are the snow flake style 35th anniversery edition wheels

And as much as the plaid gti interior is great looking the leather kinda fits the cars performance/ luxury car better and a dsg is more appealing in the cape with the massive quantity of tourists we get over the summer

Appreciate the feedback!

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
If anyone's opinion of something includes the phrase "hella ghey" it is instantly invalidated. If anything the R32 has a nicer interior, but they are so similar you can't really use that as an advantage of one over the other.

..........................okay

My 06 interior was noticeably nicer. You can really tell VW cut costs in the R32, and not just on the interior.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
..........................okay

My 06 interior was noticeably nicer. You can really tell VW cut costs in the R32, and not just on the interior.

IIRC early 06s had real leather steering wheels and a few other small things like that. So you are probably just noticing the difference between your 06 and later MK5s. The R32 has the SAME interior as MK5 GTIs except for engine spun trim, white gauges, and the R32 stamped in the headrest. VW didn't cut costs in the R32 unless you have some sources to back that up.

1fastvdub

Banned
I've driven so far a few hundred miles looking, I just had a feeling this was something I didn't want to look into, and it was the back side of the engine the tensioner was brand new looked like they tried that avenue first!!

Do you feel a mkV r32 with 57k and a 2yr vw CPO warranty is worthy of 20k? It's got the navi and a few nicks and the rims are not factory as they said the old ones were rough shape, these wheels are the snow flake style 35th anniversery edition wheels

And as much as the plaid gti interior is great looking the leather kinda fits the cars performance/ luxury car better and a dsg is more appealing in the cape with the massive quantity of tourists we get over the summer

Appreciate the feedback!

Are they trying to charge you more due to the new wheels? See if you can maybe talk them down a tad. Do you have something to trade in?

PoRsCh3fReAk

PoRsCh3fReAk
Car(s)
Slutty camry
I got a 00 camry lol, I tried talking them down they have me a 19500 lol, they put shit tires on and I wanted the factory rims told them this and still no budge, especially on an auction car I think 18-18.5 is fair is that seem right???? Most cars around me are going for this and I've searched all over the web for classifieds

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
IIRC early 06s had real leather steering wheels and a few other small things like that. So you are probably just noticing the difference between your 06 and later MK5s. The R32 has the SAME interior as MK5 GTIs except for engine spun trim, white gauges, and the R32 stamped in the headrest. VW didn't cut costs in the R32 unless you have some sources to back that up.

True. Yeah, I knew they had changed a bunch of stuff from the early MKV's, but I didn't think it'd carry over to the R32, considering it still has headlight washers, leather, etc. That's all I meant.

Its not worth getting one car over the other, but its something to take note of.

Appreciate the feedback!

That seems reasonable, but you can still try to talk them down. CPO is nice, but make sure they've taken care of any major recalls or maintenance issues before you take delivery.

This is a good thread to keep in mind when you're looking at R32's.