GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Driving Impressions Thread

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Does anyone that has the front subframe collars get a loud crack under hard braking? The collars solved the clunk issue for me under 98% driving conditions but when I hit the brakes hard, I get a loud crack..crack! That I can feel quite violently. It feels like the top half of the car is breaking off the bottom half of the car... Pisses me off. I haven't been back to the track since October because lap after lap of that craziness drives me nutzzzzzzz...

Anyone have that problem? Better yet.. Solution? I thought for sure the collars would do the trick but no go....

I'd suggest getting car back on a lift pronto and getting that noise resolved.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
I'd suggest getting car back on a lift pronto and getting that noise resolved.

Thanks - spoke to my tech and he said to bring it in and he'll bolt everything down to spec. I've tracked the car six times and aside from re-torquing lug nuts I haven't re-torqued anything else on the car. He said its a good idea to do it before and after each track event... Who knew??

I hope that does the trick. In the meantime, driving her like Ms Daisy. . .

BORA1.8T

HKID
Car(s)
07 GTI, 04 330Xi
Does anyone that has the front subframe collars get a loud crack under hard braking? The collars solved the clunk issue for me under 98% driving conditions but when I hit the brakes hard, I get a loud crack..crack! That I can feel quite violently. It feels like the top half of the car is breaking off the bottom half of the car... Pisses me off. I haven't been back to the track since October because lap after lap of that craziness drives me nutzzzzzzz...

Anyone have that problem? Better yet.. Solution? I thought for sure the collars would do the trick but no go....

Hay man...

I just installed the kit 2 days ago, and i am having the same issue you are having. But i get it when the engine is underload say at a traffic light, some times when i'm turning and breaking...

Did re-torquing the bolts help solve the problem????

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Talk to Spoon Sports Europe, they'll take care of you across the pond. They invented the concept (originally from Japan) and they're better designed :thumbsup:

http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/

I have them on my car :thumbsup:

I PM'd Tyrol recently about shipping a set of the rears to the UK, shame they never replied as the fronts are a superb addition to any car.

Fish

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
Hay man...

I just installed the kit 2 days ago, and i am having the same issue you are having. But i get it when the engine is underload say at a traffic light, some times when i'm turning and breaking...

Did re-torquing the bolts help solve the problem????

Taking my car next month to get everything bolted down to spec including motor mounts. Tech said I should bolt everything down after a track event. I've done four events and hard driving on bumpy inner city streets with no re-torque since 2009. Fingers crossed that does the trick.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Im going to install the rears this weekend, i will check to see if my fronts are stil ltorques to spec

HYDE16

Ready to race!
Just a quick update, Tyrol has upgrade kits for the two bottom collars used on the rear control arm bushings/housings. I originally took my standard kit and sanded down one side of the collar. Now I picked up the Whiteline "WALK" Gen 2 collars from Tyrol to get the right collars in there. There are upgrade kits for Whiteline "WALK" Gen 1 owners and Gen 2 owners, the two collars are different.

WALK Gen 2 Collar Kit:

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
So I tried the ecs subframe shims and they seemed to work but im having problems with my fsb bolts coming loose. I tightened the right side that was coming loose and threadlocked the problem nut. Now I think its wiggling the left side out. Im going to tighten everything up again and threadlock both sides this time. If not going to pick one of these kits up.

HYDE16

Ready to race!
I made this for you guys, this could be a great supplemental guide for those that are rebuilding their subframes with the TyrolSport deadset kits or even when replacing OEM bolts. They can now determine which new OEM bolts to get and torque specs.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I'm glad to see more people are getting this installed. I planned to have an alignment by now, but had a death in the family, so scheduling went out the window. Hopefully I can get it done this week.

Adding my thoughts and experiences...

I've had the subframe clunk since day one, and it happened more often in the Texas heat vs "cold". I suspect the cosmoline VAG sprays all over the undercarriage contributes to the subframe sliding around when it's extremely hot. No solution from local dealerships, and installing the ECS kit seemed to make it worse. I might have been more disappointed and frustrated at that point, so I'll err on the neutral side and just say the ECS kit didn't resolve the issue for me.

Fast forward to the TyrolSport kit...

Installation was cake. I had the car up on stands, and used a floor jack to help re-seat the subframe. I was slow and deliberate with bolting everything back up, and then did the final torque.

Driving was immediately different - the front end felt solid and communicated more. However, once you adjust to the slight change, the kit will simply blend into the car and disappear. This is not a mod you can detect like chipping, a solid dogbone mount, aftermarket suspension, etc.

The only issue I've seen so far is that my steering wheel is slightly clocked to the left, like GTI_Speed. An alignment should solve it, but I have low expectations for my local dealership. If they don't fix it, I assume a twist on each tie rod will resolve it.

This is how the car should have rolled off the factory line, and knowing that it's physically impossible for my subframe to ever slide around again is priceless.

apologies for reviving an old thread, but I am having the same issue after installing my tyrolsport collar and curious if you were able to resolve this with an alignment?

I installed DG springs, no change in steering feel, and then had front sway bars and tyrolsport collar installed when I went for my alignment. after, my front camber was off (-0.6, -1.3) and my car was pulling to the left.

I had tuner inspect the install, but they said it looked fine, so on their rec and tyrolsport, I installed superpro ball joints to fix camber. got an alignment and everything looked good on paper, but wheel is off center, and dips to the left, and when I let go of the wheel at 30+mph the car drifts to the left. if I center the wheel, it steers off to the right.

going in for another alignment and hope this can get fixed, but if it doesnt get fixed and the tyrolsport collar cant get adjusted further, I may have to take it off. that would be a shame, as it is a really nice product, just doesnt seem to be working for me. Ive seen a few others with similar fr camber after install, (-0.6, -1.3). Current camber after SuperPro RCA/ball joints is (-1.2, -1.2)

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
Took mine to a dealer for an alignment and they were able to sort it out. Don't leave the dealer until it is to your liking! What does the caster look like side to side? This could cause a pull too. Try setting front toe to zero, toe can affect the steering wheel being crooked. Make sure they print up your final settings for you!

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Took mine to a dealer for an alignment and they were able to sort it out. Don't leave the dealer until it is to your liking! What does the caster look like side to side? This could cause a pull too. Try setting front toe to zero, toe can affect the steering wheel being crooked. Make sure they print up your final settings for you!

thanks for your feedback, I'm guessing you had a similar issue? I agree with what you said about not leaving until it is to my liking, unfortunately, it was the end of day on a Saturday, so Ill have to drive back on a weekend.

my alignment:

Front
(-1.2, -1.2) camber
(7.7, 7.6) caster
(0.08, 0.09) toe

Rear
(-1.6, -1.6) camber
(0.11, 0.00) toe