GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ornithology's daily driven GTI. Form over function.

Ornithology

Passed Driver's Ed
My journal of the life and evolution of my MK5 GTI.

Form over function. Aaron.

You can follow me on VwVortex as well: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5616540-Ornithology-s-daily-driven-GTI.-Form-over-function.#post77282561

Always thought the GTI were well spec'd vehicles which struck a balance between power and economy. I was wanting to move on from my MK4 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-s-daily-driven-Wolfsburg.-Form-over-function.) as I was really wanting the new options available on the newer cars. Navigation, MFD2, Canbus, DSG were amongst some of the basic things I really wanted to experience. My wife cannot drive a manual, so DSG was the only automatic option I will consider. On top of that my MK4 was hitting 180,000km anyways. I found this GTI on one of my local forums. It had all services maintained at the dealership and all service records available. Moreover it came with aftermarket parts that I was going to need anyways. I went for it.

The goal of this thread is the same as all my other "build threads"- it is to document the progress of my car for MY own purposes. I'm not here to entertain and show-off, but I hope it is informational for those of you following. My intention for my MK5 is simple- OEM+, good mpg, daily driver with power when needed.

Current specs on the car when purchased include:
- 2008 BMP GTI 4dr
- Interlagos cloth interior
- 18" Huffs
- DSG
- Full APR stage 1 flash
- Carbonio air intake
- KW V3's
- New VMR VB3's
- 6 month's factory warranty with option to extend

Obviously I am very happy with my purchase and the seller was really accommodating providing all receipts necessary. The plans begin as I jot them all down on my spreadsheet- this may add up quickly.

I am short on pictures at the moment but I will post the two that I have currently. Will update as I go.

First thing I did the day of purchase was install R32 spec tinted taillights. The LED on the passenger side is not working, so it looks as if I may have a project from the get-go.

Next a local dealership had a blowout on some parts and I purchased myself a killer deal on a Flyaudio 7500 navigation unit. I will post up a review on this as I am EXTREMELY satisfied. It was plug and play, easy to use, and EXTREMELY worth every penny spent.

I purchased many other bits but will allow the thread to explain as I install them in the near future.

As with all GTI owners, the R32 rear bumper skin is one of the most coveted piece of OEM production. As much as I loved it, I wanted to do something different. I also didn't want people to think I own an R32 when I have the dual center exit exhaust. I opted to go with the Oettinger rear lower valence. I scored an awesome deal on it however I'm currently dealing with exhaust fitment issues (more on this later).

Bumper has been installed and painted.

The exhaust that I went with to fill the Quad bumper cutout was- *drum roll* the MK6 GTI suitcase muffler! I'm sure I'm not the first, but I'm past the loud exhaust stage in life. I prefer to enjoy hearing my GPS navigation and awesome sound quality in the GTI speakers. I went with an OEM solution that required CUSTOM fabrication. To date- I've been rejected by five muffler shops as they find it too challenging or too time consuming to try welding my four tips onto the suitcase muffler. Here's the problem [insert picture here]. The MK6 suitcase muffler is too WIDE and in order to allign the tips with the bumper cutout will require custom routing. I am yet to find a solution at this point but am confident I will source something soon.

These are Magnaflow 35125 3.5" outlet, 2.25" inlet, 4.5"length, angle cut, dual wall single tips. Gorgeous. (Although I would have also liked a rolled edge)

Will take more pics...

Going to do some interior detailing tomorrow on the wife's beetle and GTI.

More to come...

Last edited:

Ornithology

Passed Driver's Ed
Update March 28, 2012

Tips are finally installed! HUGE THANKS TO RYAN AT CUSTOM METALCRAFT IN PORT COQUITLAM! They did an awesome job and have excellent above and beyond customer service. Wish they had a location in Vancouver, they would be my dedicated shop.

I originally was going to go with 3.5" dual tips but I felt they looked too big. I did not want the exhaust to take too much attention. I've come from a MK4 20th GTI and MK4 GLI rear where the tips are just hidden and have a silver ring showing, I wanted this to be the same. However, it was a challenge for the Oettinger valence as the design forces the owner to expose the tips more. I didn't want to do this but fortunately Ryan helped me stagger the tips so the contours match and they don't look like pipes sticking out of nowhere.

I was going to go with an R32 rear setup- but it was just too common. I don't know, we'll see, maybe when I want to change things up but so far I'm in love with what I have.

However, I need to go a lot lower to make everything "flow" together. Thus- I've decided to sell my KW V3's and get something that can get me at least 23.5" FTG.

Update: April 09, 2012

WIN! Found out my DSG is covered an extended 10 years from 2008. Love how VW's are extending warranties. Going in on Thursday to do a fuel pump recall and also have them diagnose some belt squeal as well as a tapping sound in the passenger side. I'm thinking it may be the serpentine belt squealing and maybe a fuel line making the tapping. It's nice not having to do the work yourself sometimes...

Update: April 11, 2012

Well, today I decided I will cut and polish as much as I can. I'd say I had some good progress. Finished the rear and sides up to the fenders. I'm thinking I will repaint the front end (hood, bumper, lip) as there are quite a bit of rock chips from highway driving. We'll see where that takes me but in the meantime I'm really happy with what I have come to with this GTI. Need to find a good color-match touch up pen!!!. I can't stand the little spots where some chips are exposed (ie. door edge, b-pillar). Need moar clean.

Still in the hunt for new coilovers. KW V3's are a disappointment in terms of "low". Anyone interested in trading?

Pics of progress:

Looks like I'll need a trip to the PDR.

Unfortunately I also decided and sold my VMR VB3's. The setup was cool, but I need something more aggressive to bring some accent to the black car. They are in question right now. We'll see. Sorry VMR- guess no pictures for now. Who knows I may just end up getting something from you guys again.

Update: April 20, 2012

So I'm really close to deciding my wheels. Coilovers have been purchased and looking to sell the KW Variant 3's now.

Anyways, just suffered a mild concussion from ice hockey yesterday so I decided during my rest it's time to photo dump and remind myself the things I've done so far.

When I first got the car the vinyl on the DSG shifter was scratched. Being the anal person I am, this bugged me. So I got to work after a bit of searching on the tex.

1) Removed the housing, be careful and make sure you use non-marring tools. The PRDNS has a connector underneath it.

2) Some people use sandpaper, but I opted to use nail polish remover. Thanks to the wife, the liquid made it MUCH easier and less of a mess. However...

3) Make sure you don't leave it on for too long...

4) Four layers of plasti-dip later and voila, brand new.

Update April 21, 2012

Wow shipping was fast.

Get low?

Marsk

Undercover Racer
I never liked the quad tip exhaust much but that looks great! Very nice looking GTI.

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
Looking good so far! Any pics from the front? I'm planning on doing my grab handles on the doors with plastidip! The soft rubber coating does peel off after a while.

curiouskyle16

Ready to race!
love the quad tip exhaust. what'd you have to do to make it fit?

Ornithology

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: May 7, 2012

*Please ask before using my pictures, thank you -Aaron*

A day with the Klutch SL-14's (Specs: 18x8.5 215/35/18 + 18x9.5 215/40/18)

Finally it looks like some real progress! I'm super excited to post these photos as the wheels and height of the car feels really dialed in now. The scraping I hear is re-assurance that I'm making progress in Form > Function.

I've actually been eyeing several different wheel options for the GTI. Had a real challenge with my decision. At some point I was so close to buying these wheels- MB Alphard, real 18" BBS LM/ RS, Forgestar F14's or CCW Classic's, but for many reasons I just wasn't able to close the deal. I'm still on the hunt for them, but maybe in the future. I just didn't want to wait any longer. The winter tires on my Huffs were itching to be removed! Luckily I was able to get a staggered set of these Klutch SL-14's.

First impressions were great. THEY ARE SO LIGHT! The build quality is awesome and they balanced easily with no problems. The 3" lip on the rear is monstrous and the step lip really details the wheels.

However, there are two things I would like, through constructive criticism, to be improved on these wheels. 1) Klutch, why did you machine the face but PAINT the in sides? It looks silly as the shine is not even. I'm planning of removing the paint and polishing the centers...if it's worth my while. 2) The center caps were made of great quality and the sticker looks awesome. However, the sticker is not contoured to the round cap and when you put it on the nice embossed lines become wavy. As a person who pays attention to detail this is something that really bothers me and I feel it cheapens the overall aesthetic of the wheel.

Final remarks are still A+ for an amazing looking wheel. Light, massive lip, AFFORDABLE price, and great construction. I bought mine from Wagen-wheels and Edward has always been of great help and service to me. Excellent customer service and easy to shop from. Thank so much!

Here are some pics for your enjoyment:
Unfortunately, I do not have Photoshop on this computer to remove the parking signs. Also, the time of day when I was shooting these the sun was right in the background. Focus was a little off...but I couldn't wait!

Srys_finest_gti

Ready to race!
Wow Aaron! The cars coming along quickly, looks great!

Ornithology

Passed Driver's Ed
Sept 6, 2012

It's been a while since I've posted anything to this thread. Not only did I go for Europe but I've focused my energy into other things as this build is pretty much complete. I may be looking to get a new set of summer wheels though- something more practical for my uses. I do a lot of mountain biking and snowboarding. Having an extra set of winter tires will suffice my need for the later but my summer needs are affected with my stretched tires inability to go over bumps to get to the trails I ride.

Anyhow, as I figure that out here are some "recent" pics. They are however about a month old. I was just too lazy to post them.