GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mich Pilot Super Sport

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Any using the new Pilot Super Sports? They only have about 100k miles reviewed on Tire Rack but they best the PS2 and the Conti Extreme Contact DW and won the most recent Tire Rack Max Performance Summer Tire comparison. Price is reasonable at $205 each. With the K04 I'm looking for as much traction as I can get in bot wet and dry for daily driving. I don't track or auto-x.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just ordered a set - goingon late next week so I'll report back once I have some miles on them. I'm really looking forward to it though - I've never had a top of the line performance tire before. I've always went for a value compromise like my current Hankook Ventus EVO V12 tires.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Subscribed. Looking at the Tire Rack reviews, they do look really good. One guy even said they held up to track abuse very well.

What size did you end up going with? I was thinking of getting 245/40/17 on a 17x8 ET48 wheel, but with my car being on super sports at ~24.5" FTG, I think it'd be a close fit for autox and track.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm currently running 235/40-18 Hankooks and I was planning to go with the same size but after comparing the specs it looks like the 225/40 Pilots have the same cross-section width and slightly wider tread width compared to the 235 Hankook so I went with the stock 225. I'm not super low but with my wheel spacers I'm at the limit in terms of width without causing rubbing issues.

Assuming the reviews are on target and this is an improvement over the already great PS2, it's hard to believe that a Pilot tire is so cheap relative to what the older top-end PS2 lists for. And TireRack is insanely fast - I ordered yesterday about 3pm and they were delivered today by noon.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Ive got them, had them on for about 5k now.

They are fantastic. Im stock and have trouble breaking traction (except for now that its getting colder). Even in the wet the straight line grip is good, and no hydroplaning to report. They are also quiet and suck up little bumps pretty nice.

I could be a little mis-led though, I came from the stock conti's, and they were like racing slicks when I took them off...

HemiAlex

Ready to race!
I got 44,000 out of my Stock Conti's. Had I not gone 10k with my toe being horribly out I would have hit 50,000 easy.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah - actually about 20hrs from hitting the "order" button to showing up at the shop - $50 shipping for 4 tires.

Holy crap that's fast! One day delivery?

Let us know how the tires feel.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's consistent with the reviews. Hard to believe they do everything extremely well including being relatively quiet and comfortable. Usually there is a trade-off with performance. I'd be satisfied with the same noise and comfort of my current Hankooks so long as they have better straight-line grip. Even with plenty of tread I've got to ease onto the throttle in 1st-3rd from every stop with the K04. These tires may actually save me $30k if they satisfy me enough to not drop a deposit on a new Golf R just for the AWD :)

Ive got them, had them on for about 5k now.

They are fantastic. Im stock and have trouble breaking traction (except for now that its getting colder). Even in the wet the straight line grip is good, and no hydroplaning to report. They are also quiet and suck up little bumps pretty nice.

I could be a little mis-led though, I came from the stock conti's, and they were like racing slicks when I took them off...

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Oh, that's interesting that the 225's have the same section width as 235's. Maybe I will end up going with 235/40/17's instead of 245/40/17's because my car has a 2" drop on super sports. For some reason, I think it's more like a 2.2" drop because my rear sits at about 24.5" FTG where stock was about 27" FTG (06 springs).

robo010

Passed Driver's Ed
Im running 19" pilot super sports for about 2k miles. I can still brake them loose when i hit the gas harder than normal, running k04, but they are way better than other sets ive tried on my buddies gti's. They are very soft!! they pick up small rocks like slicks and the downfall is they leave alot of road crap on the body behind them. i dont know what they are rated at but im guessing ill only get 20 to 25k miles

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
20-25k miles would be fantastic for this level of performance. I don't expect to be immune to breaking the tires loos if I actually try but right now I have to accelerate VERy easily in 1st and 2nd and can only go about 2/3-3/4 throttle in 3rd pulling from a stop. I'd say most avarage cars on the street can get me off the line and up to 20-30mph simply because I can't get power to the ground. Yeah, a V6 Camary can take me off the line if they wanted to :mad0259:

Im running 19" pilot super sports for about 2k miles. I can still brake them loose when i hit the gas harder than normal, running k04, but they are way better than other sets ive tried on my buddies gti's. They are very soft!! they pick up small rocks like slicks and the downfall is they leave alot of road crap on the body behind them. i dont know what they are rated at but im guessing ill only get 20 to 25k miles

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
I'm currently running 235/40-18 Hankooks and I was planning to go with the same size but after comparing the specs it looks like the 225/40 Pilots have the same cross-section width and slightly wider tread width compared to the 235 Hankook so I went with the stock 225. I'm not super low but with my wheel spacers I'm at the limit in terms of width without causing rubbing issues.

Assuming the reviews are on target and this is an improvement over the already great PS2, it's hard to believe that a Pilot tire is so cheap relative to what the older top-end PS2 lists for. And TireRack is insanely fast - I ordered yesterday about 3pm and they were delivered today by noon.
It's possible that this is just introductory pricing for this tire, but regardless it's a great tire. I always like it when people request them for their orders. :thumbsup:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
They go on Thursday but I won't drive the car again till Mon or Tue.

When do you have the tires on? And yeah, even Stage 1 with crap tires is hard to get traction off the line.