GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speed

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
Stock North American cars are electronically limited to 130 but because the speedos are messed up it'll say your doing 140ish. In Europe (I'm not sure about other markets) I know the car is said to be drag limited to low 150s. I'm not completely familiar with the GTI's stock gearing but I believe both trannys are capable of getting close to 180. Honestly though, lets remember that this is a compact car and doing anything over 150 is just a really insane thing to do.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Speed limits there are for tires.

If your car comes from the factory with with tires rated for 130mph, your car shouldn't be able to hit or exceed 130 stock.

And yeah, my speedo is off a good deal too. GPS says 80 but speedo says about 86-87.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
ooh good point I didnt think abut the tires. AFAIK all euro market GTIs came with Pirellis that I would assume had higher speed ratings

itskv

APR Stage II+
Tires are not an issue,
As anyone felt fuel cuts? What happens when that goes on?

You are either feeling fuel cuts or misfires. Check your codes. I had the same thing happen then got my lower pressure sensor replaces and symptoms were gone then it came back but not as often and it read misfires. I swapped coilpacks an no problems for 8 months so far. I'm was stage 2 when most of it happened. Now I'm 2+.

Ive done nearly 145mph at stage 2

Timvgti

Ready to race!
Nearly 145mph on stage2+!? are those gps speeds? Cause I only have a ABT remap and can reach 150 to 155mph easily. Tried it often at night/empty roads on our Dutch and German highways. But this is on speedo. (EU gti)

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Ive done 166 on the speedo before stage 1, which prob ended up actually being 140 with how off my speedo is. T'was a little scary.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
I'd be more concerned with just the car holding up... I mean you guys do realize it's just an economy car with a turbo motor and some go fast bits. I've had rides in 600+ hp Evos (Mitsu lancers with lots more go fast bits than our GTIs) and they feel like they're going to fall apart.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
As far as speed ratings, GTI's in Europe come with W rated tires and mostly with Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental and Pirelli. Exception was the ED30 which came with Z-Y rated tires.

As far as top speed, in Europe most electronically limited cars are set to 250kph/155mph. Officially, Volkswagen has announced 235kph/146mph for GTI's top speed but I have a feeling that this is also electronically limited, it seems too low to be the car's actual top speed. For ED30 they had announced 245kph/153mph but I know for a fact that this was indeed electronically limited, because I have seen a stage 2+ ED30 (~360bhp on stock K04) hitting 280kph/174mph.

Now to the OP's question in specific...

Oettinger offers a GTI project with 330bhp and 450nm with a top speed of 270kph/168mph. That car is equipped with a rather expensive list (copied from Oettinger website):

* OETTINGER turbocharger
* Recalibration of the engine management - via Directport
* OETTINGER motorsport catalytic converter
* OETTINGER front- and main silencer
* OETTINGER rear silencer
* OETTINGER injector valve
* OETTINGER intercooler - enlarged
* OETTINGER high pressure fuel pump

I don't know if the Oettinger turbo is like a K04 in size, or bigger. Judging from both horsepower and torque my guess goes to K04. The other parts look more or less like a stage 2+. So, this is your answer for a (probably) K04 project. Their other projects have a much lower top speed, 255kph/159mph and down.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
One thing is for sure. Either VW went way over their heads putting a 300kph speedometer in the GTI, or they wanted to make it easier for tuners and their customers by not having to ever replace it. My step father's car is a Jaguar XF Supercharged V8, 410bhp - 560nm and speedometer goes up to just 260kph. Now that makes sense. :bonk: