GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: 2.0T FSI Timing Belt Replacement for GTI/A3/Jetta

Zach L

VR junkie
This looks like a pretty thorough write up. I'm thinking of doing my own pretty soon.

Only suggestion I would say is maybe have arrows pointing to the respective parts that need to be removed, etc. Not everyone knows which bolts, screws, etc. they should be looking at.

Cheers!

Yeah I need to get around to doing that. I know Photobucket has a tool to add arrows so I wouldn't even need to upload anything again or change the pic links.

Car(s)
07 UG GTI
I'm in the middle of doing this and have just realized that my cam shaft gear sprocket has 3 different markings to indicate TDC. Only one of them seems to line up naturally when turning the crankshaft over. What do u guys suggest I do? I don't know if anyhone has ever encountered this so I wanted some suggestions before moving forward.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I'm in the middle of doing this and have just realized that my cam shaft gear sprocket has 3 different markings to indicate TDC. Only one of them seems to line up naturally when turning the crankshaft over. What do u guys suggest I do? I don't know if anyhone has ever encountered this so I wanted some suggestions before moving forward.

Did you not mark the sprocket and original belt before removing it? Reason I ask is because as long as those markings line up with the new belt, and the teeth are counted exactly on the belt you should be fine.

Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Did you not mark the sprocket and original belt before removing it? Reason I ask is because as long as those markings line up with the new belt, and the teeth are counted exactly on the belt you should be fine.

I have not removed it. I will mark both sprockets and do as u r saying. Thanks dr techy

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
No problem, just remember to count teeth over and over, and make sure those markings line up exactly like the stock one. You may need to have someone help and turn the cam pulley while you get it lined up.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
my kit came with a camshaft seal that isnt pointed out here for installation. can anyone help me?

I think you need a special tool for that. I had one in my kit too, I just didn't put it in. I figured it wasn't leaking so why bother replacing it.

Car(s)
07 UG GTI
I think you need a special tool for that. I had one in my kit too, I just didn't put it in. I figured it wasn't leaking so why bother replacing it.

gotcha, thanks man.
im having a ton of trouble putting the belt on. once i did i went to tighten the tensioner and it broke on me. does anyone have any tips on tightening the tensioner once the belt is on? i was turning the 8mm allen side to line up the tab with the notch but it wouldnt even move. i tightened it until i couldnt anymore and realized that the tab wasnt even moving. when i went to loosen it up to try again is when it broke on me.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
gotcha, thanks man.
im having a ton of trouble putting the belt on. once i did i went to tighten the tensioner and it broke on me. does anyone have any tips on tightening the tensioner once the belt is on? i was turning the 8mm allen side to line up the tab with the notch but it wouldnt even move. i tightened it until i couldnt anymore and realized that the tab wasnt even moving. when i went to loosen it up to try again is when it broke on me.

Is the bracket on the back tensioner lined up in the space above the bolt coming out of the side of the engine? So you have the bolt that goes through the tensioner to hold it in place, but there is a circular void above that where the bracket has to fit in. That is what holds the tensioner and allows you to spin it so the tab can line up. You can see it in this picture sitting inside that circular indent in the side of the engine.

Don't sweat it though, I ended up leaving my stock tensioner also because the cheap aluminum ended up getting stripped on the new one. As long as the tensioner is moving freely and quietly it will be ok until you have time to get another one to put in there.

Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Is the bracket on the back tensioner lined up in the space above the bolt coming out of the side of the engine? So you have the bolt that goes through the tensioner to hold it in place, but there is a circular void above that where the bracket has to fit in. That is what holds the tensioner and allows you to spin it so the tab can line up. You can see it in this picture sitting inside that circular indent in the side of the engine.

Don't sweat it though, I ended up leaving my stock tensioner also because the cheap aluminum ended up getting stripped on the new one. As long as the tensioner is moving freely and quietly it will be ok until you have time to get another one to put in there.

yeah that part of the bracket was in the indentation. so your saying that as long as that part of the bracket is secured in there it should rotate to align the tab once i start to tighten the 8mm allen? i wonder what i was doing wrong :frown:

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
yeah that part of the bracket was in the indentation. so your saying that as long as that part of the bracket is secured in there it should rotate to align the tab once i start to tighten the 8mm allen? i wonder what i was doing wrong :frown:

You don't have the nut tightened down do you? The nut needs to be loose until you have in the correct position, and then tighten it down.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the write up. My father and I took care of the water pump and belt over this past weekend and it went pretty smooth. Only hiccups were getting the engine mount out of the way and the last time the dealership was in there, they must have felt compelled to put green thread locker on the crankshaft pulley bolts and were torqued way beyond what was called for. I'm seriously happy we did not break any of those. Also, the Blau Parts kit was very nice and complete.

chad1230

Ready to race!
is the part number for the roller idlers p/n 06D109244E?? also, is the part number the same for both idlers or do have have different p/n's?

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
This might seem like a dumb question and one I could probably look up but ... at what mileage should this be done?