GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting scammed?

quickblack_06

Space Janitor
Car(s)
2006 MKV
I searched around, but I couldn't find a specific area that dealt with scammers. Let me preface this by saying that I might not have been scammed just yet. But I sent money almost exactly a month ago, and the last communication (Mar 5th) he said, "going out tomorrow sorry for the delay...bit of a pain to find a box to fit it in." That was 2 weeks ago. And I haven't been able to get in touch via pm's since then.

Is there a forum protocol that gets used with bad sales? I'm a mod on a much smaller car forum, and we do have some stuff in place, but like I said...the forum only has 3500 users....not 20 bazillion.

I just hate getting scammed and have been around long enough to know that I feel like it's happening right now. Thanks in advance.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
There are a bunch of scammers in the classiefieds for sure. I only use paypal, and always have communication from the seller/buyer. There are steps to take if you've gotten played.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
if its been too long, then file a claim with paypal. I hope you paid with a CC.

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
Thats the inherent risk of buying from users on a forum. Make sure you take into consideration their post count, how active they are in the scene, and just overall who and how they handle themselves. Its not going to be fool proof, but it will help out a lot.

As for now, there really only 3 things you can do.
1. Wait.
2. File a paypal dispute. (Which won't do much if he's already taken the money out)
3. Post up his info here on the boards and see if anyone around your area can help.

Good luck.

cbursten

Banned
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI 6MT
I bet I know exactly who you're dealing with, too. Not my place to name names, though. Good luck with the transaction.

JhnR

Banned
i got scammed even with PayPal, im -$700$.

be careful, PayPal won't help that much either.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
i got scammed even with PayPal, im -$700$.

be careful, PayPal won't help that much either.

Best bet is to pay with a credit card through paypal, then you can file A FRAUD charge with your credit card company :thumbsup:

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
rapidhare/andrew something or other is a douche that owes me $125US

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
paypal has little control, its actually your cc co that has all the power.

Make sure you use a cc to, not a debit card. Then your cash won't be in limbo while its getting figured out

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
paypal has little control, its actually your cc co that has all the power.

Make sure you use a cc to, not a debit card. Then your cash won't be in limbo while its getting figured out

X2

Paypal is no where near as secure as they make it out to be. CC is the only way to be 100% covered. Multiple people on here have been scammed through paypal.