GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with braking

steve-d

Go Kart Champion
When I press my brakes at slow speeds it makes a grinding noise. I rang VW and said i need to take it for a drive after about 15 miles do an emergancy stop to disperse the brake dust. Have done this 7/8 times still have the same problem.

Any ideas.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. I've heard stories of brake pads installed backwards (metal part facing the rotor) from the assembly line. Or maybe it's something else (debris), or it could be normal brake noise. :iono:
Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Normal brake noise could be stretching...Grinding is usually subject of metal to metal contact...either you ride your brakes very hard...or they fell off in commute?

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
I get some very slight grinding noise after they've been wet, dried, and the rotors rust a little. Also after driving in snow and having salt cystalize on them. After the first couple stop-and-goes it's back to normal though. Nothing continued, no. Get it checked on.

speedyd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 07
When I press my brakes at slow speeds it makes a grinding noise. I rang VW and said i need to take it for a drive after about 15 miles do an emergancy stop to disperse the brake dust. Have done this 7/8 times still have the same problem.

Any ideas.

Got the same exact problem am taking it in tomorrow. i should have some info as to why that happens.

speedyd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 07
not a big deal!

Just got my car back last night they said its nothing to worry about. if u live in a city where its wet and snows alot this is normal. but i dont trust them so am taking it to Vw tuning shop in my city. worst comes to worst pads are 110 for the front and 60 for the back.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Just got my car back last night they said its nothing to worry about. if u live in a city where its wet and snows alot this is normal. but i dont trust them so am taking it to Vw tuning shop in my city. worst comes to worst pads are 110 for the front and 60 for the back.

VW could have said the brakes were shot, and you would have been none the wiser. Think about it, VW turned down a chance to make some easy money. I'd take their opinion on that.

My brakes do the same thing, our streets are heavily salted. My car is kept in an underground, temp controlled garage. Bottom line: No worries!