GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pads + lines + fluid = new rotors?

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
Sorry for the mysterious title to this thread.

My question is, if I upgrade my stock brake set-up to CarboTech XP10 pads, SS lines and APR dot 5.1 fluid how are the stock rotors going to perform / stand up to the pressure? Will they need to be upgraded too?

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Firstly, I WOULD NOT recommend carbotech pads for street use. Not only will they be rather annoying, but they will also not be too safe. Their pads, and particularly the xp10's, take a good amount of heat to get up to operating temperatures. When the pads are cold, they do not stop very well at all. It generally takes me about a lap or two to start to get the pads up to temp before they start to clamp well.

I would suggest some hawk HP+ pads if you want a good quality street pad, plus you will be just fine running them on OEM rotors.

What I do and what I recommend to people who want to run "race pads" such as the carbotechs, hawk race compound pads, or cobalt friction pads is this:

Get a set of civil street pads such as Hawk HPS or HP+ and run them on your stock OEM rotors. Get a second set of OEM rotors to run you track pads on and switch your pads and rotors before and after an event. This will help keep both of the pads working their best on their own respective set of rotors and will help the street pads last longer and the track pads stop harder.

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
Thats great advice, thanks meat. Do you think the ambient temperature out here in Dubai will help in getting up to temperature? Last time I was out on the track they were recording temperatures of 46 - 48C (114 - 118F) and its not even full summer yet...!

I guess in Florida you're experiencing the same kinds of temperatures.

Maybe I'll look into a set of pads which are a compromise since its difficult for me to keep switching pads, rotors and wheels/tires before every track event.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Thats great advice, thanks meat. Do you think the ambient temperature out here in Dubai will help in getting up to temperature? Last time I was out on the track they were recording temperatures of 46 - 48C (114 - 118F) and its not even full summer yet...!

I guess in Florida you're experiencing the same kinds of temperatures.

Maybe I'll look into a set of pads which are a compromise since its difficult for me to keep switching pads, rotors and wheels/tires before every track event.

No, ambient temperatures will have virtually no effect on the heat generated by your brake pads. It takes a lot of friction to warm up the pads, a warm climate is not sufficient.

If you want a compromise I would have to say HP+ pads, though they are better suited for street use. You could use those and get away with it, but if you start to track your car heavily, then you will want to move up to a better pad compound such as the XP10's.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
Firstly, I WOULD NOT recommend carbotech race compound pads for street use. Not only will they be rather annoying, but they will also not be too safe.
fixed :thumbsup: i highly recommend running a Carbotech street pad on the street if one runs Carbotech race pads on the track.

batfink: the stock rotors hold up fairly well. here's a pic of my front rotors with ~16 track days, ~24k street- and track-miles over 2 years:

i've got 27k miles on them now. YMMV.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
why run track pads if you arent tracking the car? just get hi-po street pads. either way rotors should be fine.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
who said I wasn't tracking the car?

well Meat sorta raised that issue.

if you are tracking it - then get them - they are good pads. just be prepared for some noise and dust if you use them on the street. used them on my S4.
good pads but the wife hated them (noise)

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
well Meat sorta raised that issue.

if you are tracking it - then get them - they are good pads. just be prepared for some noise and dust if you use them on the street. used them on my S4.
good pads but the wife hated them (noise)

The issue I have is that I don't usually have time to swop my wheels, pads and/or rotors before I go to the track (our track evenings are usually week nights).

I might put the CarboTechs on for a while and see how they are. If they are terrible (noisy) or dangerous (!) I'll swop back to stock and order some Hawk street pads.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Once you do it a few times you can get the whole process down really quickly. It takes me maybe 60-80 minutes to jack the car up, take the wheels off, swap pads and rotors and slap wheels back on. You can get it done in about 40 minutes with two people.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
The issue I have is that I don't usually have time to swop my wheels, pads and/or rotors before I go to the track (our track evenings are usually week nights).

I might put the CarboTechs on for a while and see how they are. If they are terrible (noisy) or dangerous (!) I'll swop back to stock and order some Hawk street pads.

I ran the Carbos on my S4 on the street for some time with no problems cept the wife hated on the noice.

also ran Hawk HP+ on my m3 on the street for many many miles - no problems - just noise.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
HP+ are good street pads (sans the noise)

I've driven too and from the track on my Carbotech XP10 track pads and they were terrible. Their cold bite is bad, they feel like they aren't even there. It takes a few hard stops to get them to bite at all and after cruising on the highway for a while they cool off and feel like mush again next time you step on the brake pedal.

You can go ahead and run them if you really wanted too, but I would never use them as daily pads.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
Once you do it a few times you can get the whole process down really quickly. It takes me maybe 60-80 minutes to jack the car up, take the wheels off, swap pads and rotors and slap wheels back on. You can get it done in about 40 minutes with two people.

are you swapping both front and rear pads and rotors? you're right though, it gets easier every time. i can do front pads and wheels in 30-40 mins. i'm too lazy to do rotors even though i'm sure it'd only add a couple mins per side.

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
HP+ are good street pads (sans the noise)

I've driven too and from the track on my Carbotech XP10 track pads and they were terrible. Their cold bite is bad, they feel like they aren't even there. It takes a few hard stops to get them to bite at all and after cruising on the highway for a while they cool off and feel like mush again next time you step on the brake pedal.

You can go ahead and run them if you really wanted too, but I would never use them as daily pads.

I just ordered the AX6s for daily driving. I'll keep the XP10s and XP12s in case I ever do any Sprints.