GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Track Set Up

dtvburns

Tweek
I just got back from two days at Watkins Glen. I learned a lot about driving and had a Porsche school instructor and a Pro Driver from Compass Racing tell me my car set up was great "neutral and well balanced".

I have a H&R front sway set to soft,
Rear H&R set to stiff,
Forget to mention Stern subframe brace and Nuespeed rear sway bar end links.

Bilstien PSS9
Front two clicks from stiffest (one click here made a big difference)
Rear set to Max

Bridgestone Potenza RE O1Rs at wear indicators
Front when hot 40 psi
Rear when hot 38 psi
I had to work a bit with the tire pressure, when the tires where heating up I was loosing traction and going in to under steer. I run 38 up front on the street 38 in back. Tire Rack does not recommend a pressure lower than 38 for our cars because of the higher weight of the car. At AutoX where the tire comes in cold and is expected to preform right away, I run the fronts at 42 psi rears at 38. Cold temp at the track front and rear where both at 36psi, 75 degree day.

The car slightly under steered during very heavy acceleration and over steered slightly under vary heavy breaking. It was very predictable. The pro driver was impressed. The instructor, who said I was a good driver and should move back to RWD to show my true potential (car snob) was also very impressed with the brakes. The brakes are stock with steal lines and Carbontech XP10s front and XP8s rear.

I was one of three cars that was not trailered to the event, one of two running street tires. I by far had the lowest priced car. By the end of the first day people started coming over saying how impressed they where with the little GTI. On the second day I was running with a GT3 and Panoz and chasing them down in the turns, watching them walk in the long straights, but I was able to stay with them and gain at times.

Click here for vid.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=869651#post869651

Last edited:

madrestaur

Having Fun driving my VW.
Car(s)
MKV '06
Was this the "hooked" event, I have a friend in an audi s4, scottish, that was at an event there, or is there today, not sure, black car.
What are your tires' size?

dtvburns

Tweek
I talked to him. bad ass car. his engine was like two of ours squeezed under the hood.

225/40/18

Last edited:

madrestaur

Car(s)
MKV '06
Your et for the wheels?
I have the same size et 45 and rub like crazy with H&R ultralows.

dtvburns

Tweek
"et"??

madrestaur

Car(s)
MKV '06
is that not part of the off set?

madrestaur

Car(s)
MKV '06
The Glen was not showing any photos yet?

madrestaur

Car(s)
MKV '06
Great pics, yeah that's my cycling buddy.
We are going to new hampshire 5/18&19/08.
Are you in the red gti?

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Of all the tracks I've driven (Lime Rock, NHIS, Pocono long course, and Watkins Glen), WG is my favorite. First time I was there, it was pouring rain, and I and the other Passats in my run group (as well as an S4 and a WRX) ran circles around everyone else, including an E30 M3 and a C5 Corvette. Of course, the next day was beautiful and we got eaten for lunch. :biggrin:

The car slightly under steered during very heavy acceleration and over steered slightly under vary heavy breaking. It was very predictable.
Kind of inevitable with front-drive cars. But it sounds like your car is set up really well despite the limitations of front-drive vehicles. The last time I was at WG, a kid with a MkIV GTI (only mods were high-temp brake pads and R-compound tires) practically ate up everyone in our run group.

Offset.

madrestaur

Car(s)
MKV '06
Last year we were there at WG in August, and there were two other GTI's there, they were kids as well, and were killing it.

dtvburns

Tweek
"et" Oh.... stock offset.

I am 41, and was young to average age at this event, very old for this web site. Any of you out there want to send me pics of your hot moms?

Just kidding......

unless they are really hot, then be discreet send a pm, it is your mom after all.

Dynjo

Ready to race!
dtvburns,

Another old guy here. I'll be doing a lapping day shortly. I'm not a stranger to road courses, but this car is new to me. You sound like an official King of the Late Brakers. How to you deal with the Hydraulic Brake Assist feature of the ABS system? My few experiments on the street suggest that HBA is going to kick in the first time I try to go deep into a corner (especially with grabby XP-10's). Seems like it could be unsettling. Comments?

Oh, and Rock on, duuuude! or however they say that.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
Dyno: squeeze the brakes quickly, don't stab. stabbing makes the system think you're panicing. if you apply smooth, constantly increasing pressure, HBA will stay off. if, at any time, during your braking you apply "too much" additional pressure, HBA kicks in. the key is finding what "too much" is. it definitely takes practice and is akin to learning how to threshold brake. good luck!