GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control / Sport Mode Question

JohnHS

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, finally got enough miles on my R32 to have some fun with it.

The DSG holds off shifts till 7,000 rpm which surprised the heck out of me. I'm amazed that a factory shift program would exceed their own redline!

At what RMP's does the computer shut down the engine? Of course with our DSG it will always shift first.

When doing launch control, what's the best speed to rev the engine before taking your foot off the break?

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
+1 :D

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Back on topic, for my GTI, I have only done about 2 launches. One at 3k, and it just roasted the tires, another at 2300, less slip.

On the R32, I would imagine that the 3000 rpm launch will do you good with AWD. I think it is limited in LC mode to about 3200 if I remember right. I would go to the track to get timed runs using different techniques. On the street you probably wont feel the difference.

Loudener

The VW was 3 cars ago...
Car(s)
2010 Mini Cooper S
Oh he will. Without traction control he will wheel hop like a mother in the front. I'd say try for 2500 rpm and keep going until you get wheel hop. Do this on warm/hot tires too.

Let us know. I'm curious to see how large a difference the AWD makes for LC.

DeZZar

VR32W
Car(s)
08 5DR R32 DSG
LC has the factory determined best rev limit for the R32 already programmed. simply plant your foot and the computer will only rev to a certain limit - thats the whole idea of launch control.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
At what RMP's does the computer shut down the engine? Of course with our DSG it will always shift first.

the computer will automatically upshift for you when you hit the rev limiter, so no worries there.

it won't shut down the engine, unless you hit the speed governor (assuming you aren't chipped)