GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any GS autocrossers out there, 2 ?'s

daytontp

Ready to race!
What wheels are you using?
I am thinking about some 17x7.5 ASA rims the TireRack has, or some of several 16x7 rims they have listed under the 2007 VW Rabbit.

What shocks are you using?
I am leaning towards the Koni Sport Yellows over the Bilstein Sports, so I can get adjustability.

I have the ASA AR 2's with BfGoodwrich kdw2 tires and koni coilovers. I have em set full soft both front and rear for my first two events. I am going to try switching things up a bit for the next event.

MRSiGTi

Go Kart Champion
I'm currently running Sport Edition wheels from Tire Rack and Koni Sport Yellows w/ stock springs. Cannot run coilovers in GS.

Attachments

• nhscc0070520 394.jpg
    nhscc0070520 394.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 248

daytontp

Ready to race!
I have the ASA AR 2's with BfGoodwrich kdw2 tires and koni coilovers. I have em set full soft both front and rear for my first two events. I am going to try switching things up a bit for the next event.

Are you running GS? Because SCCA rules do not allow coilovers in Stock classes.

I have had some really good local autocrossers tell me VW's respond very well to soft settings on the front and firm on the rear, with a stiff sway bar on the front. Assuming you are running stock class setup.

I have not run in a scca event yet, the 2 autocross events I did were run by a BMW club and Porsche club. Basically I was thrown in with STI'S, Evos and a M3 on slicks. So I guess you could say I wasn't exactly classes by scca rules. I will let you know what class I am in the next event I attend.

daytontp

Ready to race!
With coilovers on your car, you will be in SM with EVO's and STI's, or maybe STX but I am not sure coilovers are allowed here. Maybe GSP or GP.

If it is SM, you better hope you are a much better driver, because a well tuned EVO or STI is shankingly fast. I have ridden in a few that put down 375+ HP at all 4 wheels and it was torture. Especially if they have sticky tires. Then the guy had th enerve to tell me his STI never made full boost the 2 runs I rode with him.

MRSiGTi

Go Kart Champion
I put them on 3/4 stiff and left them. I run the car almost full soft on the front. The car handles great and see no need to change the rear setting at the moment. If the need to adjust comes up, it should'nt be too hard.

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
With coilovers on your car, you will be in SM with EVO's and STI's, or maybe STX but I am not sure coilovers are allowed here. Maybe GSP or GP.

No such class as "GSP" and "GP" is an SCCA road racing class filled with older tiny sports cars.

Coilovers are allowed in both STS/X and in SP (Street Prepared); the GTI does into D Street Prepared or STX, depending on mods and tire choice.

Cheers,
DJM

daytontp

Ready to race!
Well, for what I want to put on my car, GS > STX > SM would be my logical progression unless DSP would come between STX and SM. I honestly do not want to run in SM with a bunch of worked STIs and EVOs. But, I have to admit, my last event I ran a 44 flat in pooring down rain in our 3rd run group, and SM was there as well. My time in was fast enough to put me 2nd in SM, but I ran in GS.

Our local region runs a Street Tire like many regions run Novice classes. You are allowed to run under your normal classes rules btu without R Comps, but we use a PAX multiplier to equalize the cars. So, we have a TAS and TGS and etc.... I run TGS since I do not have R Comps.

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, for what I want to put on my car, GS > STX > SM would be my logical progression unless DSP would come between STX and SM. I honestly do not want to run in SM with a bunch of worked STIs and EVOs. But, I have to admit, my last event I ran a 44 flat in pooring down rain in our 3rd run group, and SM was there as well. My time in was fast enough to put me 2nd in SM, but I ran in GS.

Our local region runs a Street Tire like many regions run Novice classes. You are allowed to run under your normal classes rules btu without R Comps, but we use a PAX multiplier to equalize the cars. So, we have a TAS and TGS and etc.... I run TGS since I do not have R Comps.

SM is a tough class and I would not want to run in it either. DSP *does* indeed fall between STX and SM; DSP is a whole lot like STX but with R comps and slightly "looser" rules. The logical progression would be GS to DSP if you want Rcomps or into STX if you want street tires. It would be fairly easy to prep a car that does not violate STX nor DSP rules -- in that case, the class you run in would be determined by the wheels/tires you run. Next season, I plan to run my GTI is either DSP or STX -- will make that decision this winter, after the seasons racing is done.

Cheers,
DJM