GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AUssie SatNav Options

nike61

Ready to race!
Guys
Inpart I should have got the SatNav option with the GTI, but at $2990 from Dealer its not cheap given the portable TomTom's, Garmin's etc

Some Questions:
1. Can the SatNav Option be added later once vehicle delivered?
2. Any good alternative aftermarket options in Aussie. I assume these replace the headunit?

Viewing VWVortex, there is a new update on the latest Pioneer AVIC-D3 which I have heard is launched in Aussie around March?

Here is the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=h_w3UZIEo8k&eurl=http%3A//forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread%3Fid%3D3027301&iurl=http%3A//sjc-static14.sjc.youtube.com/vi/h_w3UZIEo8k/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskKUgTbfc5fBKY8LYkhI8ViJ

Interested to get some ideas and feedback. :thumbup:

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
still waiting for the big screen + Navi + ipod + bluetooth all in one

prodigue

Avantgarde
I have the Volkswagen in-built satnav, it's pretty good but one bad thing and I consider it to be major, is that it does not list out the roads in your vicnity. It just shows how the road looks like.

Hong Chau

Banned
i have a volkspower brochure with upgrades for the GTI.
and it says that they can fit one aftermarket.
its the exact same system from the factory.
so i think it can be done. just shop around

nike61

Ready to race!
OK it does have all the functions I want...

group buy? :rolleyes:

I argee it does have all the functions thus the thread. They are US$1000 in USA but problem would be the maps??

Worth looking into to though a GB :w00t:

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I was looking at the Eclipse AVN 6000 (http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/). Quoted $3899 with reverse camera + iPod adaptor, and it will fit in the Golf MKV dash very well.
It doesn't have the bluetooth and won't play iPod video tho.

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I prefer the Tom Tom option. It's upgradable, portable, cheaper, does the same job and a lot less stuffing around.

Hong Chau

Banned
I prefer the Tom Tom option. It's upgradable, portable, cheaper, does the same job and a lot less stuffing around.

i agree. $3899 is alot of money for sat nav.
but if thats what you want. then go for it.

nike61

Ready to race!
Yeah but I believe that this Pioneer AVIC-D3 will sell for just over $2000 as costs $1000 in USA.
Given it has satnav, bluetooth, ipod connection, dvd, cd the lot is very reasonable as the TomTom One is over $600 and the good Garmin or TomTom's are over $900.
If this is released around this price to me its better :w00t: :headbang:

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
No portable unit will give the yummy HUGE screen option of a built-in - but I've used 3 portable systems (TOMTOM, NAVMAN and GARMIN) and unless you want all the fancy bluetooth options and widescreen, the Navman is the way to go (IMHO). The N40i is had for around $650 and the cheaper F20 for $499 (try Calculator King online in MEL).

If you have lots of $$'s my pick from testing is the the Garmin nüvi 660 ... fantastic unit. But $1200 :(

Portable units have use outside the car (used as a map as a tourist), can move to another vehicle (great when traveling) and ultimately in 2-3 years when something better is available can be on sold for 50% of the purchase price.

- M -

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
No portable unit will give the yummy HUGE screen option of a built-in
- M -

Very true, but I find that you don't spend a lot of time looking at the screen anyway. Most of the time you are listen to voice prompts while keeping your eyes on the road.

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
Very true, but I find that you don't spend a lot of time looking at the screen anyway. Most of the time you are listen to voice prompts while keeping your eyes on the road.
When I got my first GPS (about 3 years ago) ... I did look at the screen too much .. it was fascinating. Never had a MOMENT, but had to be conscience not to look at it too much ... now I hardly look at it at all (voice prompt).

Just a reminder for those who are new to GPS car systems.

- M -