GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkV Roof Antenna

Donald32

Backseat Driver
I'm new to the GTI/R32 scene and a little confused with the different roof antennae - the black stubby one (like BMW and Benz) and the other typical and longer antenna. Does Australia's Golfs only come in the latter? Thanks Donald

Tiny Gti

Banned
Car(s)
05 GTI MKV DSG 5DR
I'm new to the GTI/R32 scene and a little confused with the different roof antennae - the black stubby one (like BMW and Benz) and the other typical and longer antenna. Does Australia's Golfs only come in the latter? Thanks Donald

Hi Donald,

The short stubby antenna's are for the sat-nav (pic below), the long thin antenna's are non sat-nav, and you will also see some models with no antenna which is due to the antenna being incorporated into the rear window for the non sat-nav models pre 06 when they changed to the roof mounted long thin ones. Some people have also changed their long antenna's to an aftermarket shorter one (pic below).

OEM Shark Fin Style Sat-Nav Antenna

Aftermarket Shorter Slim Line Antenna

Cheers:drinking:

Tiny.........

Last edited:

Donald32

Backseat Driver
Thanks TG. Much appreciated. Do you know where I could find one of the short aerials? Cheers Donald

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
eBay

Remember that your radio reception will go from bad to worse...

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Do you know what the reception was like with the original rear window antenna?
I think i've seen this kit for sale as a retro-fit somewhere - Blaupunkt if i'm not mistaken. :confused:

Tiny Gti

Banned
Car(s)
05 GTI MKV DSG 5DR
Thanks TG. Much appreciated. Do you know where I could find one of the short aerials? Cheers Donald

Hi Donald,

As Kirium stated, you will find alot of this stuff on ebay. Also being OEM you would be able to get them from the VW Service/parts centre, though im not sure how they work with the normal stereo. TM Tuning is the website I got the pics from and I know they sell them compatible to non sat-nav set up, but are in the states.

www.tmtuning.com

If you want a nice aftermarket antenna, give Dragan at Inmotive a call Ph: 02 8812-5299 he has some nice ones. My mate got one off him and it looks pretty neat, i'll take and post a pic for you on the weekend when I see him.

www.inmotive.com.au

Cheers :drinking:

Tiny............

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I have no trouble with FM but then, that's all I listen to. I was pretty impressed with the FM range when I finally took it out for a long drive.

I have read that AM reception is pretty poor though. Apparently it's mainly all FM in Europe.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Most of the stuff on the radio is shite anyway! :thumbdown:
I might just do a antenna delete!! :biggrin:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik

Seems to work okay. But the OEM aerial was only on the car for a cuple of hours so I can't really compare. This one is off a Benz C-class I believe.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Do you like have an unlimited supply of Nurburgring stickers, or what! :laugh:
I know, I know - you've driven it!! :smoking: :respekt:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Haha, yeah I did buy heaps. Before going I had plenty of orders from guys on VWvortex. But on return I couldn't find the thread and most folks were backward in coming forward. I distributed as many as I could to people I knew would appreciate them (I think I spent EUR60 on the suckers) and then kept a few for myself.

:wub: