GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam follower/cam/pump failure @ 53k

OOOO-A3

YGTBFKM
Car(s)
2006 Audi A3
(Given the extent of damage, this failed a few thousand miles ago, I just happened to discover it at ~53k.)

I saw iGen3's post on the Vortex, and it led me to check mine. This is a long post, so for the "tl;dr" crowd, here's your Cliff's Notes: Shit's poop, get a Subaru instead.

Back in May of this year, I took the vacuum pump cover off to determine which camshaft I have. This is the "good" 'B' cam. You can see the line between the two pieces that make it up.

Since I found that I had the 'B' cam, and had no symptoms, I didn't worry about it.

---------------------

Now (December):
I decided that since I have 53,000 miles on the original cam follower, I should go ahead and replace it. I figured it would have the black coating worn a bit, and maybe a mark on the inside.... You know, nothing major since the engine has the 'B' cam, NO aftermarket fuel pump, NO chip, oil changes every 5000 miles with Castrol 5w40 VW 502.00 oil, not beaten-on.... NO fuel cuts, NO CEL.

I bought a new follower Friday, thinking that it was probably a waste of money since the original was probably just fine.... but it wouldn't hurt to replace it "just in case"....

When I pulled the pump out Saturday to change the follower, I was like "Oh, **** me!" I wasn't prepared for this:

"Wait..." you might say. "Where's the ****ing clip from the bottom of the follower?!?"

Well, if you look back up at the pics of the pump, you might just see it hanging on the pump spring.... I retrieved it with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and it's all stretched out.

I couldn't see any pieces of the old follower anywhere, so I had nothing else to do but put in the brand new follower that I just spent $60+ on, and reassemble everything. I cranked it afterwards, let it idle to warmup, rev'd it and didn't hear any odd noises or see any fuel leakage from the fittings, so it's at least as drivable as it has been.

Due to a settlement with Audi over my A/C compressor, my warranty goes to 62k. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Still waiting on the time estimate and complete damage assessment.

OOOO-A3

YGTBFKM
Car(s)
2006 Audi A3
i am trying to figure out how it was still working with that kind of damage. and curious as to what repairs are now needed.

Once it punched through the follower (and WTF knows where the fragments are.... metal particles circulating through the oil definitely), the end of the pump plunger was riding directly on the cam lobe. That's what caused the wear on the plunger and the cam lobe. I can't explain why I had no issues with fuel cuts with that much wear, yet other people claim to have symptoms with less wear than that.

Rukbars1

I F' with the cougars
hmmm Damn that really sucks i just got all my mods done all within one week and i put 1k while i was home is there anyone in the area that can check my cam revision and cam follower while i am gone I will pay money for that to be done.

bwoodahl

Ready to race!
Everyone that reads this post should do the following every (approx) 5,000 miles:

1) Change your oil
2) Pull the HPFP and inspect: cam, follower, and plunger for wear
3) Any signs of wear: replace follower

(At 10,000 miles I had minimal but noticeable wear on the follower:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70435
-- I'm changing the follower at 15,000 miles.)

ndccpf1

Passed Driver's Ed
My Cam Follower

85K miles and APR programming. Pulled out the old one yesterday and it was in good shape. I still changed it with the new one I bought ($55),

krayzie089

Ready to race!
I have 43k on the ticker now. Im just going to wait till i hit around 55k, and take it in to the dealer and pay the 100 dollars fee. Hopefully my shit is all busted just like that and will have it all covered under warranty. I cant believe we dont throw a CEL for this shit. I believe VW knows how serious this issue is, and used that new 004 software update to disable our CEL's. Its programmed so that a Bored out cam follower will not throw a CEL until after the warranty period is up. Im on to them:thumbsup:

krayzie089

Ready to race!
No we do I know I did I had like 9 codes or something like that

But alot of us seem to have no idea until we go to change the follower, then wham. Most of our cars seem to show no symtoms until its too late, i still believe VW is behind this somehow. It s all about money, can you imagin if VW issued a recall on the cam follower issue. However its not related to safety, so it would not be as bad as Toyotas problems. But from what i know the repair job cost about 3k for a new cam, pump and follower.