GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam follower/cam/pump failure @ 53k

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
I never had a symptom, never had a CEL, no real loss in power, etc. mine was punched all the way through and had more of a slant on the plunger. We took all that we could out, put a new follower in with the shit pump, I bought the APR pump a couple of days later. Installed it and running like a champ now. Going on 7k miles. My follower punched all the way through, but not unevenly like the OP. Thats fuckin nasty how it wore off some of the side of the follower, but not all the DLC and top of it.

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
lol...i don't understand why everyone seems to think the new revision cam shaft is immune...you're not the only rev b camshaft individual to have had the cam follower fail. the flaw is in the design and making the camshaft two piece does not fix that. if you make the cam shaft harder it will cause the follower to fail quicker. also the two piece camshaft was probably a manufacturing change to reduce the amount of wasted material from manufacturing it all in one piece.

edit...i see this is an old thread

Last edited:

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I had mine fail (not that bad) but it ran fine for about 800 miles before I really noticed shit was effed up. Lucky me it happened 4K miles BEFORE the powertrain warranty is up.

AndoN

Passed Driver's Ed
I just barely checked my Cam Follower at 51k miles.... Cam follower had some wear on it but It was still in good shape. It was my first time checking and I'm glad that its been holding up for 51k miles with Stage 2 for 40k miles. =)

KUGTI

Ready to race!
im at 38k and im ordering mine right now.

Really sorry to see that dude. That sucks.