GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help/Advice: Throttle Body Wiring Issue

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
I dunno how many other people have had this issue as it isn't a common one, but basically it's this:

The Throttle Body wiring harness isn't long enough, so when your engine torques at hi rpm's or under hard shifts, it pulls it out a little bit and the car goes into limp mode. After this happens you have to unplug your battery to reset the computer.

For me, It only happens when I run my Stage 1 programming, and not when I'm on the stock program (happened once on a bad shift). It took me over a year to figure this out, but when I called APR (thinking it might be something with the programming) they knew exactly what it was.

Now, I haven't fixed this yet, b/c I don't know what it entails. Apparently there is a TSB out about it, and I called and ordered the parts, but those totaled about 90$.

Has anyone else gone through this and had it done? If so, did you do the fix yourself?

I'd really love some insight into this b/c I'd love to just fix it myself.

Thanks!

-Cameron

ps, My car is an '07 FSI

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I dunno how many other people have had this issue as it isn't a common one, but basically it's this:

The Throttle Body wiring harness isn't long enough, so when your engine torques at hi rpm's or under hard shifts, it pulls it out a little bit and the car goes into limp mode. After this happens you have to unplug your battery to reset the computer.

For me, It only happens when I run my Stage 1 programming, and not when I'm on the stock program (happened once on a bad shift). It took me over a year to figure this out, but when I called APR (thinking it might be something with the programming) they knew exactly what it was.

Now, I haven't fixed this yet, b/c I don't know what it entails. Apparently there is a TSB out about it, and I called and ordered the parts, but those totaled about 90$.

Has anyone else gone through this and had it done? If so, did you do the fix yourself?

I'd really love some insight into this b/c I'd love to just fix it myself.

Thanks!

-Cameron

ps, My car is an '07 FSI

I've had it done but the dealer did it. Here's the codes that I logged on my 09 TSI.

2 Faults Found:
005476 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Under-Voltage during Basic Setting
P1564 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2111.15.31
Time: 31:63:63

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Load: 0.0 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 27.0°C
Temperature: 27.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 12.192 V

000545 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle (G188): Implausible Signal
P0221 - 000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 58175 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 17:44:51

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2567 /min
Load: 21.6 %
Speed: 21.0 km/h
Temperature: 105.0°C
Temperature: 51.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.462 V

Readiness: 0010 0001

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
this is the first time i hear this, wow good to know ! :thumbsup:

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
I just threw a MIL yesterday (27th) at 78,996KM. Pulled the codes today and see...

P1545 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON

005480 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Mechanical Failure
P1568 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

It's too dark for me to go out right now and look around but I had a good 3-4 inches of bucking movement when it misfired on cylinders 1-2-4.

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
Update: I had this TSB done today. The parts are around 90$ and the labor is 205$ if you are out of warranty. I got the car back and put her into 93 race mode and she's been acting brand new all day :D

Thanks to Arin@APR for sending me the TSB info! If anyone needs this done, just go to the dealer and tell them you need TSB# 01-09-04 done.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Update: I had this TSB done today. The parts are around 90$ and the labor is 205$ if you are out of warranty. I got the car back and put her into 93 race mode and she's been acting brand new all day :D

Thanks to Arin@APR for sending me the TSB info! If anyone needs this done, just go to the dealer and tell them you need TSB# 01-09-04 done.

FYI - keep monitoring your car since the wiring harness repair may not fix it completely. Since my repair, the G188 sensor fails when running a TBA which prevents readiness being able to be set with VCDS. I'm currently in process of having VWoA approve replacing the entire TB under warranty. I have also experienced strange fluctuations in throttle plate during logging. None of these issues produce any codes.

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
ahhhh thanks.

Unfortunately, my car fucked up again on the 93 race programming... but it only did it once and it was when the car was cold. Once it warmed up she ran fine. . . It's pissing me off though to the point where I just wanna pay it off and buy an A5