GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long live the fsi

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
It appears the new .:R20 is using the fsi motor versus a high output tsi. Same exact motor that's in the S3 & TT-S I'm excited that our beloved fsi motor hasn't been shelved. I wonder if vw is gonna use the same cam follower set-up? Could have impacts for all of us that plan to keep their fsi mkv's for the long haul:w00t:

GolfRS

Banned
I doubt anything will be changed...

As far as VW is concerned the follower issue is non existent....

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
it is an updated version that has better internals and is stronger, someone posted a link in one of the r20 threads, FSI FTW

slanky

Ready to race!
OHHHH SHIT!

I always had a feeling that the TSi was the pussed down version.

slanky

Ready to race!
I guess we 08 and older owners can look forward to OEM replacements to fix all of our problems?!

GolfRS

Banned
This engine has been around for a long time in Europe.

It has nothing to offer the older TFSI's that cannot already be obtained.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
actually it seems to be the BHZ engine. which is the beefed up version of our '06s-'08s. same thats in the s3, tt-s. you all probably read that too though. beefed up bottom end, rods, cams. i wish our engines came stock like that.

edit- from the other site:

TSI of the Golf R

The EA113 series direct-injection petrol engine is used in the new Golf R; its turbocharger makes it very flexible and variable right up into the highest performance ranges. The 1,984 cm3 TSI’s specific power is a respectable 100.3 kW / 136.6 PS per litre displacement, and its response is just as impressive. The engine’s power can be spontaneously summoned in the blink of an eye throughout its speed range. The engine also impressively underscores its potential acoustically. Visually too: Its two chrome tailpipes can be seen at the centre of the bumper under the diffuser integrated there – an ‘R trait’ that the previous model also displayed.

The in-line four-cylinder engine develops its tremendous propulsive power via a turbocharger (up to 1.2 bar boost pressure) with inter-cooling. The engine, with a weight of just 152 kilograms, is controlled by a fully electronic engine management system with E-Gas. The cylinders of the four-cylinder engine have been equipped with reinforcing bolts, unlike less powerful TSI versions. Also designed to be stronger are the connecting rods, so that they can reliably transfer the engine’s high torque to the crankshaft. Last but not least the cylinder block was also reinforced to handle the aggressive engine forces.

keep in mind that "TSI" does not necesarily mean the same thing as TSI in our community. its like an umbrella term for VW

from the other thread

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
you guys are getting the FSI, TSI, and TFSI confused.

originally, FSI was for the old version of the 2.0T (bad cam follower)
the new version of the FSI is the TSI (and audi TFSI) 2.0T which is in the '08+ models, as well as the newer A3's, TT's, and TT-S's

the old TSI used to just stand for the twin-charged engine that is only available in europe.

make a long story short, if it's just a turbocharged engine now, whether it says TSI or TFSI for audi speak, it's just the revised 2.0T...without the cam follower issues.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
That motor i posted is a FSI (acronyms aside, whatever engine is in my car) without a doubt, i don't think the FSI engine cover/air box would fit on a TSI, my guess:

VW realized how much better the FSI is, put it in the R20, disguised it as a TSI so revising the FSI didn't look like a waste, and added some new internals/ fixed cam follower issue

if it is a new revision of the FSI then maybe we can put the new parts on our older FSIs to solve some of the problems

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
you guys are getting the FSI, TSI, and TFSI confused.

originally, FSI was for the old version of the 2.0T (bad cam follower)
the new version of the FSI is the TSI (and audi TFSI) 2.0T which is in the '08+ models, as well as the newer A3's, TT's, and TT-S's

the old TSI used to just stand for the twin-charged engine that is only available in europe.

make a long story short, if it's just a turbocharged engine now, whether it says TSI or TFSI for audi speak, it's just the revised 2.0T...without the cam follower issues.

You are mistaken sir. This engine is the older "FSI" design. Forget for a moment the terms TSI and FSI. The older motor with flat tappet cam follower and timing belt is an EA113 series engine, while the totally redesigned roller follower, timing chain engine is an entirely new design named EA888. The motor in the new Golf R is for sure a version of the older EA113 engine. I am a little surprised that VW hasn't gone ahead with a high output version of the EA888. They either wanted to save alittle money and not reinvent the wheel, or they don't trust the new engine at that power and RPM level.