GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long live the fsi

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
Lots of confusion in here. All the K04 cars, (s3, tt-s and now GTI R) are FSI. There is no k04 TSI yet and may never be.

Per VAG the TSI was designed to : increase reliability, be easier to maintain, decrease production costs and have great efficiency. All things important to a mass market car. Note that increasing performance was never a stated goal of VAG for this motor.

S and now the GTI R model are not really mass market cars so I think it makes complete sense to use the already developed engine.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
Lots of confusion in here. All the K04 cars, (s3, tt-s and now GTI R) are FSI. There is no k04 TSI yet and may never be.

Per VAG the TSI was designed to : increase reliability, be easier to maintain, decrease production costs and have great efficiency. All things important to a mass market car. Note that increasing performance was never a stated goal of VAG for this motor.

S and now the GTI R model are not really mass market cars so I think it makes complete sense to use the already developed engine.

:thumbsup:

TGZ

Moar!
Would be pretty kick ass if it was the FSI motor with the revised cam follower setup from the TSI, but I doubt it is. Regardless I want one and I hope it'll come early next year!

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think it just comes down to R&D. The FSI's such a well known entity to VAG, where the TSI is still proving itself. If you were going to really tweak a mass-produced engine, would you go with something older and established, or something that's still relatively new and unknown?

The FSI is ready to produce the kind of power they need for the R20. The TSI isn't. It's very possible that VAG hasn't finished engineering a K04 solution for the TSI yet either, so if they want to sell this car now, it'll be with the FSI powerplant, which is just fine.

I'd bet we'll see a transition to a TSI powered car in 2011 or 2012, when they've finished all of their engineering studies on that powerplant.

leviathan18

Ready to race!
TFSI turbo fuel stratified injection

TSI turbo stratified injection

they changed the name and what we know in the engine, but every TFSI engine is a TSI in fact they did it in seat without using the TSI engine