GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long live the fsi

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
You are mistaken sir. This engine is the older "FSI" design. Forget for a moment the terms TSI and FSI. The older motor with flat tappet cam follower and timing belt is an EA113 series engine, while the totally redesigned roller follower, timing chain engine is an entirely new design named EA888. The motor in the new Golf R is for sure a version of the older EA113 engine. I am a little surprised that VW hasn't gone ahead with a high output version of the EA888. They either wanted to save alittle money and not reinvent the wheel, or they don't trust the new engine at that power and RPM level.

that I am. I did a little more digging, i'm stunned that they are still using it with all of it's known problems. I could have sworn that when I looked under the hood of a TT-S recently that it had the newer EA888 motor. when I first read the thread, I assumed that most of the confusion was still around the TSI/FSI nomenclature that was prevalent for a while back.

I was considering a new R thinking that it would be a beefed up TSI motor, if it's true that it will be the old one...count me out. My GTI is sitting on a dealer's lift right now because of a fried camshaft, follower, and fuel pump :mad:

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
What all known problems? The oil consumption is much less of an issue in the BHZ, having optimized injectors and lowered compression ratio. And then there's the cam follower. Through my reading and personal experience, I've come to the conclusion that the cam follower problem is uniquely American and has to do mostly with the use of sub-par oils and fuels. My first two oil changes were done with crappy 5w40 Castrol and by 10,000 miles the DLC on my follower was gone. I kept the follower in there and switched to quality oils the likes of Elf and German Castol. After another 40,000 miles of hard driving my cam follower looks just like it did when I pulled it at 10K. So besides those, what problems?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
I think you simplified the cam follower issue a little too much, it's a HUGE problem. Whenever an engine has a design flaw such as that, where a part fails that should theoretically never fail during the life of an engine, and take other expensive parts along with it - that's a big problem.

Zach L

VR junkie
Yep, regardless of what abbreviation is written on it, the S3, TT-S, and the motor in the R20 are all FSI motors. This motor has been around for several years and uses a cam follower.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
heh gotta love VAG and all their weird ideas for changing what they call their technologies, just like how the new supercharged V6 is a 3.0T

LePatron

Ready to race!
Yep, regardless of what abbreviation is written on it, the S3, TT-S, and the motor in the R20 are all FSI motors. This motor has been around for several years and uses a cam follower.

It seems to me that the R20 is essentially a re-bodied Audi S3. Arin of APR confirmed that the '09 S3 makes use of the FSI engine. I would guess that sometime in the near future these cars will come with a souped up version of the TSI engine.

slanky

Ready to race!
I am betting that this is an FSI that doesn't run in "FSI mode" so it is essentially just a TSI....

follow me?

regardless, fucking awesome news.

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
FSI = still a more moddable base than the TSI.... I guess?

actually... I think the bean counters at VW told the engineers to use what Audi already had developed....

makes sense to me... takes millions of bucks to develop/ mod even an existing engine base...

I think VW shoulda been allowed to use the excellent 211hp/ 250 torque chain driven TSI unit from the A4...albeit slightly detuned to 230 torque..... I'm sure the GTI would've benefited greatly by using this valve lift motor... the R20 would've been a natural step up to 270 hp and 250 torque....

slanky

Ready to race!
It seems to me that the R20 is essentially a re-bodied Audi S3. Arin of APR confirmed that the '09 S3 makes use of the FSI engine. I would guess that sometime in the near future these cars will come with a souped up version of the TSI engine.

that is a safe bet - but in the meantime, we can enjoy the engine that has greater love and aftermarket support.

I really want a different HPFP solution for my car...

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
i would agree that the cam follower is a serious issue. I would also agree with the comment that if you change your oil with good oil every 3.000-4,000 miles, you are much less likely to have these problems. I think the idea of all of these german car companies having your oil changed at 10,000 or 20,000 intervals is insanity. The cam follower is a series issue that VW should address, but I'm going to change my oil every 3k miles

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Im not going to knock the FSI motor nor am I going to say how wonderfull the TSI motor is etc etc etc....

However it just doesn't make sense to me that VW would develop the new 2.0T TSI motor that gets rid of a few of the quirks with the FSI motor and then revert back to the FSI motor in a new higher performance car.
Doesn't make any sense to waste the R&D money on the TSI motor to use it for 1.5 years.....

Im thinking that maybe VW is rebranding the motors however they see fit. I wouldnt be surprised if the .:R20 came with the TSI motor (no matter what the top of the engine cover says).

SimonSaysGTI

Ready to race!
The Audi S3 uses the FSI motor because it was made before the TSI came out. However I was under the impression that the TT-S got the TFSI motor with the valve-lift technology. And the FSI has no more aftermarket support than the TSI. The TSI is still a new motor and it takes time to do R&D to make a great product so I don't see how that is a valid argument because by the time we get the R20 it will be another 2-3 years. All we can do is just wait and see till the car is released and someone takes out the follower or VW release one of there technical packets.