GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I would suggest researching as much as possible to get the correct MK6 pump. You need one from a car that has the same drivetrain options as yours I believe. I have a GLI DSG so I got one off a 2011 GTI DSG. They can be had for $100 as the entire abs module/pump assembly. Its literally a swap in and swap out install that requires removal of the rear intake tube. You must bleed the brakes after. The biggest issue is doing the coding in the proper steps which requires VCDS. Buy it or you will need to find someone to do it for you. I dont think the dealer will do this for you.

bmeskin

Another ABS issue 09 GTI

Mine went out at 131k. This car has been riddled with electric issues from the start (bought it new). The dealer wants $2600 (more than the book value of the car).

Now the odometer (is frozen)?

Now the back hatch and fuel cap are dead?

Why is the fuse at F1 missing?

I consider changing to a Japanese or American car, sick and tired of these German issues.

datbass

will volkswagen be able to confirm if the module and pump will match by VIN? I found a shop that will pull the code and reprogram the new module for me. I found a couple different modules online but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm not sure if it will be a direct match or not. Anyone have any insight into how to confirm that the module and pump will match your vehicle? I found a module out of a 2010 GTI Manual transmission. Will the 2010 not have the issue like the 2009's did?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
2010 GTI pump/module is safe. The dealer will not help with this kind of swap.

fstlane

Just jumping into this thread after reading through the entire thing last night as I am now having the same exact problems that just started occurring with my 09 Jetta. So it's not just the GTI's!

I am planning to do the repair myself as I am pretty mechanically inclined and have quite a bit of tools, although there aren't really many needed to tackle this. I do have two questions though.

First is how does one verify the part number of the module that is on their car. You can't see the actual module when it is on the car right? It seems like you guys are able to pull it up when scanning the car, is that correct? I would like to buy a new one from ECS, just want to make sure it's correct before I tear it apart.

Also, can the car be driven to the dealer to have it re-coded? My assumption here is that it can and it would just have the same symptoms as before the repair because the ECU doesn't know that you have changed it, until it's coded? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help sorry for this to be my first post but, thank god for this post and for those of you that posted up about doing it yourself. I honestly couldn't have brought myself to spending $2k at the dealer to fix this.

-Bryan

monoloco

...and another ABS module bites the dust, my 09 GTI started beeping at me around 80k miles and now at 89k it wont shut up, having the same issues most are, all the lights flashing and odometer/speedo/gas gauge not working...$2300 quote from local dealer to repair!

However i recently emailed the Module Master guys and they claim they can repair the module for alot less: "We do rebuild that type of module (ATE MK60E). Rebuild price is $250 + shipping and includes a 5 year warranty. " sounds like a good deal in comparison to the dealer quote, anybody have any success with trying this fix yet? and if so was recoding necessary? Im looking for someone that can pull module out for me now as i think it may be beyond may ability to do...

Last edited:

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
^^^^^ monoloco...

your gauges not working sounds like a problem in addition to a faulting ABS module. I personally would not want a rebuilt module when you can get a revised brand new module from* VW for under $700.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
It's amazing that just about every 2009 Jetta/GTI/Rabbit have this problem and VW still hasn't bitten the bullet on it yet. For what it's worth (and albeit my situation was different) VWOA covered my repair 100% on "good will". It's worth calling them up, the more people who call and file a claim the better for us. I'm not the only one who's had success with this so just try it.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
^^^monoloco

Try the links below for part pricing...

Not sure if this link will work, but it seems the revision ABS Control Module part numbers are based off if you have a particular combination of Stability Control and/or Hill Hold...
http://www.vwpartswarehouse.com/a/Volkswagen_2009_GTIBase/__5950514/ABS-COMPONENTS/9280165.html

Model=GTI
Year=2009
1K0907375AF = Excludes Stability Control
1K0907375AN = Excludes Hill Hold, but has Stability Control
1K0907375AP = has Hill Hold and Stability Control

So I assume since I have a 6-speed without hill hold, where my current part number is 1K0907379AD, I would get the 1K0907375AN.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
The gauges not working also happened with my 2009 GTI ABS Controller failure. Just me guessing here, but I suspect the bad controller messes up communication on the CAN bus, causing link failures with the dash controller. Yes, my speedo would stop working, gas gauge would settle to zero, steering light would go yellow & red, lots of beeping - in addition to continuous red Brake light, and yellow ABS & Traction lights. All very annoying.

There are so many threads on ABS Pump / Controller failures that its hard to keep track of them all - guess I'll cross post my repair experience to make it easier to find.

If you are considering replacing the ABS Module in your 2009 GTI with a newer (used MK6) one (which is what I did) - this thread documents the work and part numbers involved:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196357&highlight=ABS+Module

I read a procedure where you could just replace the controller (computer) on your existing pump, but I wouldn't recommend that since both the pump AND controller each have known (different) failure issues.

I spent $200 for a used Mk6 pump / controller. You need some basic mechanical skill, be familiar with bleeding brake systems, and have access to a Ross-Tech VagCom VCDS for programming the controller and adapting the related sensors.

And yes, I also had a local dealer tell me the repair would be over $2000.

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't escalated into a bigger deal (and possible safety recall) for VW. Not only do you totally lose your Anti-Lock Brake System and Traction Control, but also (intermittently) some Power Steering functionality (return to center didn't work on mine) and the Speedometer.

But I suppose VW already has enough to worry about! A billion here, a billion there, before long it adds up to real money.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Thanks for confirming Fred... I wasn't aware that the gauges and steering were related to the ABS failure... I wish I didn't love this car so much.... I can't bring myself to sell it, but haven't yet bought the repair items yet.

jlsh

Hi,

From Spain, my GTI '09 and two GTI '09 more from two friends have the same issue, but a GTI '07 of another friend don't have problems.
In my case, the speedometer and odometer work fine allways.

I'll have to change the ABS pump from a '11 GTI?

Thanks a lot!